adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 09-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Total Points: 6,943.90
Donate
Looking into putting my child up for adoption

Well I am almost 4 months pregnant and Im curious about alot of things about how adoption works...i was adopted myself but i dont' know alot about the process or anything.
Pregnancy Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Pregnant? Let Us Help.
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoptions From The Heart
Building beautiful families through adoption since 1985. A leader in open adoption, AFTH provides services to pregnant women wishing to create an adoption plan and adoptive families seeking to create a family.
Adoptions From The Heart
(800) 355-5500   Fax (610) 642-7938

Old 09-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Inactive Blogger
Total Points: 7,734.29
Donate
So, ask...
Old 09-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Who dat?
Total Points: 562.55
Donate
Kora,
Are there any specific questions you want answered? There are so many different routes you can take if you do decide that placing your child for adoption is what you want. First you need to explore all your options and decide what you want to do. I'm assuming this is what you are doing now. Please feel free to ask any questions. I wish I had someone to talk to when I was pregnant. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:20 AM
What's next?????????

Total Points: 12,153,866.82
Donate
Like Sweetie says, you need to explore all your options. Some of your fears may be about $$ that you can support this baby, if you are young, etc. you might think are opsticals that you can't overcome. That might not be true. There are definate pros and cons to both sides. I am an adoptive mom and I believe firmly first, in a pbmom parenting if at all possible. But, I am grateful to our bmom that she did not abort and chose life because that is how we came to be a family. Good luck in your journey. The path will be difficult no matter what road you choose but choose it with an open heart and mind.

Signed with Facilitator 10/04
Matched with bparents 01/05
Born 05/13/05 and home with us 05/16/05
Finalized 04/26/06

Old 09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Total Points: 698.03
Donate
I gave my daughter up for adoption 20 years ago. It was hard, but there are things you can request. Such as the numbers of years you want contact, make sure you can get updates from your adoption worker. But this is a choice you need to be honest with yourself about. Research research research. Don't take just one person's word for it. Look and ask. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Total Points: 12,275.17
Donate
If you want to parent, there are many resources available to women in your situation. Definitely do lots of research about your options. It's early days yet, so you have time to really think things through. Know that whatever you decide today may be very different from what you decide tomorrow...or after your baby is born. Seek out some unbiased counseling - not an adoption agency. Talk to your parents - they adopted you, so they may be able to help you process things.

If you do choose adoption for your little one, make sure you get what you want in terms of parents for him/her, amount of contact you want for the future, etc.

Best of luck to you...in whatever you decide!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:19 PM
William & John
Total Points: 378.07
Donate
I agree with much of what was said before me. There are lots of things to consider... and you will ultimately end up making the best decision for you and your child. If you do end up seriously considering adoption you will find that there are lots and lots of loving couples out there that would be willing to adopt your baby. Although we're on the oposite end of the situation, if I were in your situation and considering adoption I think my first step would be to locate a group of professionals that can assist you. They can help you understand the different types of adoption, and even help you find the perfect family for your baby.

There are certainly a lot of things for you to consider. Take a deep breath, believe in yourself, and take whatever steps you need to do what's right for you!

~W
Old 09-29-2006, 05:50 AM
Life is Good. Win!

Total Points: 5,387,795.04
Donate
Kora; there have been many advances in contact since 20 years ago. I encourage you to educate yourself fully about ALL of your options first. Have you been to your local state assistance office? Have you signed up for WIC? There are many things available to you and your child. Make sure you know about all of them before making any other decisions.

When you start researching adoption, which again I encourage you to do after you have researched parenting FULLY, find stories of happy and not-so-happy. The agencies are only going to offer you the stories from the firstmothers who placed through them that are thrilled. Seek out those who are not as thrilled. Know that every adoption is vastly different. Just because I, for example, have a great relationship with my daughter's family doesn't mean that everyone will. There are many things to consider including the amount of contact you want (or think that you want), the emotions of grief and loss that are involved and how they will effect your relationship, how the agency treats BOTH sides of the adult triad and a myriad of other things.

Also, this is a reminder and a note for you, Kora: if anyone Private Messages you asking to parent your child (etc), please forward it on to me. Likewise, we do not allow solicitation of our adoptive parents here on the forums either. This is meant to be a safe place for you to ask your questions, etc.

Ask if you have some questions, okay?

Writing the family side of fire life at Stop, Drop & Blog
Writing another chapter of our adoption journey at The Chronicles of Munchkin Land
Twitter: @FireMom

Old 09-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Total Points: 111.69
Donate
I, too, was adopted. I thank God my birthmother loved me enough to be selfless.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Total Points: 111.69
Donate
Smile Birthmothers are precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kora
Well I am almost 4 months pregnant and Im curious about alot of things about how adoption works...i was adopted myself but i dont' know alot about the process or anything.

I myself was adopted. I thank God my birthmother made the most loving decision she could make.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Total Points: 7,813.48
Donate
Dear Kora,

I agree with all of the posters who advised you to weigh all of your options carefully before you decide.

My daughter also made a selfless, loving decision - she decided against adoption and decided to parent her son. All depends on your readiness to take on the life-long responsibility of parenting.

Happy G'Ma