Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 11:38 AM
cain925 cain925 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1
Total Points: 2,149.00
Husband wants to adopt my son

I need help getting started. My husband wants to adopt my son. I do not know who the father is and I am the only one on the birth certificate. My son is now 7 years old and my husband is the only father he has known. My son was born in Virginia but we now live in Texas. ( Husband is in the military.) I have read somethings on this forum about abandoment. How do I go about this and is this the way to go? Do I file in Virginia or Texas? If anyone has any insight or needs more information to guide me let me know. You can also email me at

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 PM
combsrael combsrael is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2
Total Points: 135.00
It seems to me that you would have to attempt to find the biological father before you can proceed with a step parent adoption. Most courts are very sensitive to the needs of the child and prefers to attempt to maintain a biological parental relationship unless there is a serious risk to the child. If a parent has not even made an attempt to locate the biological parent prior the attempt to adopt, the court may order that you do so.

As a paralegal in the state of Ohio I can tell you that the law states that if the biological parent has had no contact with the child for a year (i.e. child support, phone calls, visitation, holiday gifts or cards) than that parent has abandoned the child and a signature on the parental consent form is not required. However, to meet service requirements, if you do not know his current whereabouts then the lawyer will post the notice in the newspaper of his last known area of residence for 6 weeks. He will then have 30 days to respond. If he fails to respond then the adoption will proceed.

I wish you luck.
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM
angel2010 angel2010 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Total Points: 235.73
My new husband wants to adopt my son i don't know who the father of my son is and my new husband has been there for him and my son knows him as dad there is no one on the birth certificate. we live in florida and my son was born here. my new husband is in the navy. can my new husband just go down and sign saying he is the father of my son or how do i go about doing this?

Last edited by angel2010 : 04-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Points Per Thread View: 1.00
Points Per Thread: 15.00
Points Per Reply: 5.00

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:11 AM.