adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 03-31-2005, 06:00 PM
Total Points: 5,101.00
Donate
Exclamation Access to Sealed Adoption Records Without Petition: California

Certain California Counties are "open counties," meaning they interperet section 9200 of the California Family Code to allow adoptive parents to access identifying information at any time for any reason. I asked my adoptive parents to do so and the records are on their way. These counties are: Santa Clara, Contra Costa, Santa Cruz, Alameda, Glenn, Marin, Napa, Orange, Shasta, and Sonoma Counties. Contact the records unit of the Superior court and ask their policy. They only require a notarized letter from the adoptive parents, or that they show up. It seems that this info is not widely known, but has made all the difference for me. This is where I got this info: http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill...es/CAopen.html
This page also has contact info for the courts of each county.
Additionally, this page has similar info for all 50 states.

Last edited by lamaula : 03-31-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Adoption Reunion Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
We'll Search for You!
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoption.com Registry
Don't miss out on finding your match at Adoption.com's Registry. For just $9.99 per year we will do the searching for you. Receive notifications automatically. Plus...find out who is searching for you!
Adoption.com Registry

Old 02-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Total Points: 3,113.79
Donate
This is great info, too bad San Diego is not on the list!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Total Points: 849.15
Donate
Those are not the only counties considered "open". Tulare county is also one, as well as some others, so it would be in the best interest of an adoptee to contact their county of adoption. Also, many counties require the adoptive parent request the information in PERSON, and supply photo ID.

These records are only what has been copied to microfiche, and will NOT contain all the paperwork regarding your adoption. They will only contain whatever court documents were copied. Yes, you may very well get a name of the birth parent(s) from the relinquishment form if that is included, but as far as addresses, dates of birth, etc...probably not.

Also, I have had Orange county send full case copies to adoptees without their adoptive parents being involved at all. It never hurts to try!!
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Total Points: 164.55
Donate
Sadly, this is not longer the case in Santa Clara County. A few weeks ago, my mom and I went to get the records and they no longer just hand them over....