Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 12-09-2011, 06:29 AM
Total Points: 11,184.76
Donate
Anyone adopted through San Diego County or going through process?

Hubby and I will be attending an orientation at the end of this month. We would like to adopt from the foster care system. We have looked into private adoption and the cost is outrageous. I know there are alot of kids in San Diego county. We would like to adopt from 0-3, or sibling group. Any advice, how long is the waiting, would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!!!
Adoption Community Information
We'll Search for You!
Virginia
Click here to visit Adoption.com Registry
Don't miss out on finding your match at Adoption.com's Registry. For just $9.99 per year we will do the searching for you. Receive notifications automatically. Plus...find out who is searching for you!
Adoption.com Registry

Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Total Points: 247.15
Donate
My DH & I have started the process. We attended orientation, filled out the application & got our fingerprints done last month. We started the PRIDE classes last night. I'm excited and hope the time goes by quickly.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:31 PM

Total Points: 195,548.12
Donate
Just wanted to let you know that the social workers and caseworkers for San Diego County's Health and Human Services Agency (formerly the Department of Social Services) are a fantastic group of people...very dedicated and very hard-working.

What does not kill me, makes me stronger. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888, German Philosopher (1844-1900)

Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Total Points: 258.03
Donate
Great experience with San Diego County

My husband and I had a wonderful experience with San Diego County. The licensing process took about 8 months (although you could complete it in 6 months if you were motivated). From the time our license was complete it took 8 months for a child to be placed in our home. There is NO cost to adopt through the County. They provided free classes, fingerprinting, even postage paid envelopes. The staff was so helpful. I really felt like the County had all of our best interests at heart. There is thought, logic and experience behind how they match children and families. We have a 7 year old girl who was placed with us at birth. Her adoption is finalized. We also have a 2 year old and an 11 month old sibling set (girls) who are currently foster, but we are in the process of adopting them.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Total Points: 853.48
Donate
My wife and I are also going through the process with San Diego County.

We've had a positive experience so far. We got licensed and approved April 2010. We're still waiting for an infant to be placed with us.

It was a long process - we started in June of 2009. We've been impressed with our social workers.

Good luck to you!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Total Points: 41,078.54
Donate
I am happy to see other San Diegans here. I was thinking about going through the county here instead of adopting privately next time.

Plus I think I would like to get the foster stipend, just a little help since we want another child in our home.

Alpine, I see you have been waiting a long time. Do you know if this is typical?

Started adoption process in Sept 2010, brought our son home November 2011
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Donate
Ours has been a good experience through the county. Since we are trying to adopt an infant, it's a long wait. April will be two years for us, with only one "hit" (last April, in fact).

Just a couple of weeks ago, I met a couple that are trying to adopt an infant as well, but they are doing it through an agency. They've already topped $12K in expenses. They've been on the list for 18 months, with no luck so far.

For us, we haven't spent a penny yet, which is a huge difference. (But keep in mind that we have a bio daughter, and started this when she was still 18 months old, so there was nothing we were buying that was above and beyond what we would have bought anyway).

I know that if you're waiting to adopt through the county, and you are trying to adopt an infant, it can be a long time; depending upon how open you are to issues. The more open you are to issues (medical, etc), the better your chances are of being matched sooner.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Total Points: 436.38
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinemaps
Ours has been a good experience through the county. Since we are trying to adopt an infant, it's a long wait. April will be two years for us, with only one "hit" (last April, in fact).

Just a couple of weeks ago, I met a couple that are trying to adopt an infant as well, but they are doing it through an agency. They've already topped $12K in expenses. They've been on the list for 18 months, with no luck so far.

For us, we haven't spent a penny yet, which is a huge difference. (But keep in mind that we have a bio daughter, and started this when she was still 18 months old, so there was nothing we were buying that was above and beyond what we would have bought anyway).

I know that if you're waiting to adopt through the county, and you are trying to adopt an infant, it can be a long time; depending upon how open you are to issues. The more open you are to issues (medical, etc), the better your chances are of being matched sooner.
I appreciate reading others' experiences with SD County. We have a fantastic worker. The only difficult and frustrating part is the wait. We were approved for adoption in January 2011. We are open to adopting an infant or a child/sibling group up to age 5. We had no real idea of how long of a wait it might be.

@Alpinemaps: I am curious what you meant by "1 hit." What does that mean?

It's great to hear the positive adoption stories!!

Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Total Points: 220.10
Donate
Just decided to adopt

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just decided to adopt through the County of San Diego. Can anyone tell me what the process is like and what to expect? From what I hear the adoption staff seems to be awesome.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueshii
I appreciate reading others' experiences with SD County. We have a fantastic worker. The only difficult and frustrating part is the wait. We were approved for adoption in January 2011. We are open to adopting an infant or a child/sibling group up to age 5. We had no real idea of how long of a wait it might be.

@Alpinemaps: I am curious what you meant by "1 hit." What does that mean?

It's great to hear the positive adoption stories!!

@sueshii Good timing on your post! We have an update (I'll share in a minute).

By "1 hit", I meant that we had one match with a baby. That was in April 2011. In January, we found out that our profile had been reviewed by a bio mom, but that she picked another couple.

Just last month, we actually got matched with an infant! It was one week past our 2 year mark (we were official as of March 2010). I know it's tough to wait, but hang in there! I know we were feeling down that it was hitting the two year mark, and it was an incredible feeling when we got that call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino143637
Hi everyone,

My husband and I just decided to adopt through the County of San Diego. Can anyone tell me what the process is like and what to expect? From what I hear the adoption staff seems to be awesome.

@dino143637 - I can't say enough good things about the social workers for both foster and adoptions. I have yet to meet someone that wasn't incredible! Everyone I have talked to, no matter whether they knew our case, has been very nice, very interested, and very engaged. Everyone is just awesome. Every single person has broken the "stereotype" of what you might think a social worker would be. They've done nothing but root for us.

Good luck to everyone, and hang in there!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Donate
@Alpinemaps: Congratulations! What great news. As I mentioned earlier it is really great to hear the positive stories and happy news! Arggg...2 years. That does seem a long time. I am certain that the wait is worth it and that once you have that beautiful child or baby in your home you know that the timing could not have been more perfect!

Thank you for sharing your story!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Total Points: 3,670.19
Donate
Smile Foster parents in San Diego County

My husband and I have a concurrent placement in our home now. Our adoptions worker convinced us to do straight foster care as she said there was such a need in San Diego county. We put ourselves on the placement list for 0-3 either gender. I assumed we would get a placement right away but it's been a couple of weeks. Just wondering if anyone else has attempted straight foster care in San Diego?? I didn't think I would be as impatient with foster care as I was with adoption but I guess I thought wrong!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Donate
@soblessedx% Did your worker suggest straight foster care with the idea or possibility that it could turn into adoption?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Total Points: 3,670.19
Donate
@Sueshii
No, the foster care/adoption system was revamped about 2 years ago and they lost a lot of foster parents. Although we know that doing straight foster care could turn into adoption we are not expecting that and just want to help a foster child. We wanted to adopt 2 children but San Diego county will only allow you to have one child in the adoption process at a time (unless they are a sibling group). Since we can't apply for another adoption until our current one is completed we figured we have the space and the love so why not open our home to a child in need.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by soblessedx5
@Sueshii
No, the foster care/adoption system was revamped about 2 years ago and they lost a lot of foster parents. Although we know that doing straight foster care could turn into adoption we are not expecting that and just want to help a foster child. We wanted to adopt 2 children but San Diego county will only allow you to have one child in the adoption process at a time (unless they are a sibling group). Since we can't apply for another adoption until our current one is completed we figured we have the space and the love so why not open our home to a child in need.
@soblessedx5
That is wonderful that you are opening your home and hearts to a child and willing to foster. And congratulations on your concurrent placement. Can I ask how long it took for you to be matched with a child? I hope you have your foster child placed in your home soon!