adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Total Points: 250.38
Donate
The Law passed the second reading in the lower house.

Adequate or faulty? Russian lawmakers vote for US adoption ban amid criticism — RT

we can only hope it will not pass the upper house or that Putin does not sign it.
Russia Adoption Information
International Adoption
Click here to visit Childrens Connections, Inc
Children's Connections, Inc. is dedicated to helping build families through adoption by providing services to support birth and adoptive families. Regardless of where you are in the adoption process, we can help.
Childrens Connections, Inc
(800) 456-4862  

Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Total Points: 7,197.55
Donate
trying not to worry...

I read this morning that it passed the second reading pretty overwhelmingly. Now it has to go through the third reading and then the president has to sign it. I can't find when all of that is supposed to happen, anyone know? I'm really trying not to stress as we are waiting on referral so I know we will pretty much be out of luck if they do decide to ban adoptions. I know that things like this have happened before and blown over, so I'm praying this will be the same way.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Donate
I read that the 3rd reading is suppose to be friday.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Total Points: 2,873.10
Donate
Not sure now, especially when some of the Russian Orthodox Church heavyweights have also expressed their support for keeping children home. Wonder if they also fell for all the negative information being circulated (?)

Unfortunately, this is a very emotional and politicisized issue. The biggest one being used is of Dima Yakovlev, who was left in a car under scorching sun for nine hours and died at 21 months old. And a few others when children were beaten, starved or frozen to death. It looks like the major issue for the Russian lawmakers is not just these tragic incidents but how lenient the persecution was where some of the guilty parents just walked away from the courtroom. They don't feel the Russian children were truly protected by our law, nor was the message sent to other abusive adopters. Also, as in Dima's case the Russian consulate was not informed of his death, they learned about it from the news and the agency (was it European Adoptions?) tried to conceal the fact.

Ironically - reading the comments - most Russians do not agree with this new law. They realize that many children would be left to disappear in the system if not adopted by the Americans. The running joke is "We should not let Americans kill our children.... we can do it ourselves!"

Let's just pray for the children and wish someone puts Pavel Astakhov in a crib in a baby house somewhere in Siberia and just leaves him there.

Last edited by Semech : 12-19-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Total Points: 1,013.76
Donate
I just wrote to Secretary of State Clinton and President Obama. I figure it couldn't hurt. Here's the web address for each if you would like to express your concern and request that they work with Russian leaders to stop this from becoming law.

White House: Submit Questions & Comments | The White House

Secretary of State:
E-mail a Question/Comment
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Total Points: 9,016.95
Donate
This is making me soooo nervous
We've been through alot redtape with two agencies..and if they ban adoptions to americans, its going to break my heart. I pray it dont, americans adopt quite a few kids from russia who otherwise might of been stuck in an orphanage and aged out.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Total Points: 5,006.02
Donate
Im so very stressed about this. It is heartbreaking. Has anyone heard if the higher house will support it, it sounded like thet would.i really hope Putin does not take pen to paper....
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Total Points: 1,013.76
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
Im so very stressed about this. It is heartbreaking. Has anyone heard if the higher house will support it, it sounded like thet would.i really hope Putin does not take pen to paper....
It sounds like the third vote will pass it on Friday. Hoping Putin does not sign it.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:40 AM
Donate
Hopefully this is how it will all play out:

"They were given the task to react to the Magnitsky Act, but they started adding all sorts of amendments onto it.... I think they are doing this just out of spite, to show the opposition that they have the power, and they can do what they want. It's very likely that Putin will play 'good cop' in the end, and remove some measures, like the adoption ban, when this lands on his desk," Mr. Mukhin says.

What's behind Russia's bill banning US adoptions? - CSMonitor.com
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Total Points: 12,539.48
Donate
Remember Mr. Obama and Mr. Putin can work together.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Total Points: 1,776.83
Donate
I'm not worried about adoption ban. It''s not going to happen because Russians love American money way too much. It's a great business model: minimal risks for Russian, high demand, what's not to like?
What I'm worried about is that Russians love playing games and will continue doing so. They will keep asking for more money and they will get it.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Total Points: 2,873.10
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marieclaire
I'm not worried about adoption ban. It''s not going to happen because Russians love American money way too much. It's a great business model: minimal risks for Russian, high demand, what's not to like?
What I'm worried about is that Russians love playing games and will continue doing so. They will keep asking for more money and they will get it.
Marieclaire - I think what you meant was "Russian BUSINESSES/POLITICIANS like our money", not the Russians. Otherwise your post comes across as very negative towards the country and its people, which is precisely what feeds to the pro-ban commotion - "childless Americans hate Russia but want a child(ren) and then take out their hatred on the innocent children, hence the poor treatment". Let's just hope this forum is not very popular among Duma members, otherwise they'll have a good supporting point. Do you know, there were 30 Russian protesters to this law who were not afraid to go out with posters and face being taking to the police? I don't know if I would do this to support some people in another country I don't even know.

I'm new to this and haven't figured it out yet but am under impression that the biggest chunk of money hopeful parents spend goes to their (American) agency - dossier, homestudy, background checks,translations, etc. - doesn't it?

Last edited by Semech : 12-20-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Total Points: 1,776.83
Donate
Semech- I get what you're saying. It's always the politicians and alike that benefit the most. It's all over the world and it could be said about any country, not just Russia. Ever wonder why Russian adoption is more expensive than others? There lies the answer to your question.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Total Points: 188.45
Donate
I spent all yesterday at the computer. I can tell that about 90% of responses of Russians to that act are extremely negative. They call Duma members names that I can't repeat. Hopefully, this will have it's effect along with common sense but with Russia you never know. Someone wrote"I can't imagine what that President is like that would sign this law." The third reading is tomorrow. Then President should react till the end of the year as they plan it to take effect in January 2013.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM
Total Points: 539.72
Donate
I'm freaking out too. After waiting over two and a half years we finally got a referral a few days ago! Trying to make a decision based on minimal medical information while facing not only holiday closings in the US (Dec 21-31) and Russia (Jan 1-10) but now also a giant BAN that seems to be heading our way. It's like I've spent several years dreaming of Tahiti and instead just got a ticket to the Bermuda Triangle... This is terribly stressful!