adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 06-29-2008, 08:42 AM
I Love My Kiddos...

Total Points: 1,479,679,965.06
Donate
Thumbs up How long does attachment take? Going the Distance

Another great piece.... A4everFamily.org - Going the Distance

I love this ...

Quote:
Your child will only reach his full potential under your fervent care and attention.

How long will it take?

It will take as long as is necessary.

Those eight words speak volumes. Attachment takes as long as it takes. While we can help (or hinder) it along...there is no magic bullet, no magic attachment wax like the article mentions...we just have to plug along until it happens (with or without help depending on the individual situation.)

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU RAIN...
...GOD GIVES YOU RAINBOWS!!
Russia Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
International Adoption
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Total Points: 3,061,453.71
Donate
Thanks Karen, great article.

We've been home four years and while our issues have been mild, I still wonder will we ever feel like attachment doesn't have to potential to be a problem?

How much damage would it do to go away for a weekend? Do set backs that can be smoothed over with work upon return leave life long scars??
Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Total Points: 27,325.96
Donate
You always find teh greta articles thanks a bunch!
2/27/08 - Mailed I600A
3/16/08 - Final Home Visit
3/20/08 - Recived fingerprinting Date
4/9/08 - Fingerprinted by USCIS
6/1/08 - Got the call
7/1/08 - going on 1st trip
9/7/08 - Flying Back 2nd trip
9/10/08 - Court Date-Success!!! Got Kids 10 days waived
9/13/08 - Home At Last
Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 AM
I Love My Kiddos...

Total Points: 1,479,679,965.06
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally26
Thanks Karen, great article.

We've been home four years and while our issues have been mild, I still wonder will we ever feel like attachment doesn't have to potential to be a problem?

How much damage would it do to go away for a weekend? Do set backs that can be smoothed over with work upon return leave life long scars??

Sally,
All I can do is speak from our experience...I know both my kids are firmly attached in a healthy, secure manner at this point.

DS has been home 4.25 years...has been securely attached since he was home 30 months but it took me another year to 'know' this. Meaning I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop for that year...but it never did. Does he still have some minor insecure moments...yes but I believe that has more to do with his fear of abandonment than his attachment. Perfect example was last week...DH potentially had to go out of town so we prepared DS for this. He got a little panicky and his behavior deteriorated. DH did not have to go away and DS then admitted he was scared that DH would go away and not come back. Would he have survived if DH left and came back...of course! But it doesn't stop him from being nervous. I know in our case, DS does recover without any scars...at this point...and it is healthy for him to see that we leave and come back.

DD...home almost 6 years...even though she transitioned so smoothly...it was still work and took a couple of years. Granted she never displayed attachment issues but I never expected her to attach immediately and was a huge attachment parenting follower for...well still am. She too displays some insecurity that I attribute to fear of abandonment more than insecure attachment. Now with the scenario of DH last week...she just wanted to know if she could sleep in my bed while he was gone...LOL. Of course that is for her benefit to feel more secure and not a big deal to me. I said yes and we got no behaviors.

I personally believe that at some point, you can stop worrying about attachment...but what is that point? Who knows...every situation is different. Some kids like DS make it easy to know and address immediately...some kids honeymoon for 6 to 12 months...some kids have issues pop up (usually following some traumatic-to-them-trigger) 3, 4, 5 years later. For DD that did happen last year when her friend passed away...but we worked through it with relative ease because her attachment had always been so natural and strong.

Hope this makes sense and helps....there really is no magic moment...it is usally found in hindsight.
K

Last edited by angelkisses0102 : 06-30-2008 at 07:19 AM.