JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 01-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Total Points: 770.38
Donate
Parents won't tell stepsister she's adopted

I am a part of a blended family and my younger stepsister hasn't been told she's adopted. She's 17 now and we've been a family since she was about 6. It's obvious that she has a pretty good feeling that she's adopted. I understand that it's always best that it comes from the parents but they have no intention of ever telling her and EVERYBODY else in the family knows. Most of her life, her parents have been in a battle because her mother never really let go of her father so they've just never found the time to tell her I guess. But now it just seems selfish that they're still avoiding it. She's asked why there are no pictures of her in the hospital when she was born or why no one says she looks like either of her parents, and she has a younger sister who wasn't adopted who looks exactly like both parents. She's a very angry child and I feel like that feeling is the cause of it. I just feel like she's suffering and that the parents are being selfish and irresponsible by keeping this 17-year secret. What should I do?
Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Domestic Adoption?
Virginia
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 01-26-2013, 06:32 PM
frugal mommy
Total Points: 12,047.75
Donate
Ugh!!! Being and adoptee myself, this makes me angry. I don't ever remember a time when I didn't know.

You should probably sit down with the parents and stress to them that she is going to be 18 soon. Which means its fair game for bio family to find her!! 2 months after my 18th birthday I got papers in the mail that my bio mom was searching for me.

I'm sure it is the cause of a lot of stress for the teenager. But, as a parent I would rather her hear it from them than get papers in the mail.

Keeping a secret like that is not only causing this child emotional damage, but she could potentially not be very forgiving to not only the parents but to the rest of the family for not telling her.

Bio son 11yrs
Bio son 9yrs
Bio daughter 7yrs
Bio daughter 4yrs
Adopted son 3yrs

Jan 17th.. Was recommended by agency
Feb... Foster parents appealed decision
March... Foster parents appeal denied
March 27th... Lansing came back with consent for us to adopt and are waiting for him to come home
April 10th.. Our little boy arrives home
June... Bio Gma files section 45. Waiting for evidentiary hearing in Sept
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Total Points: 101,998.20
Donate
Have you spoken directly to her adoptive parents about this? Once she's 18 the family could seek her out and drop a bomb on her about all of it! Then she'll feel betrayed and angry with her adoptive parents and that would not be good. I don't think a secret like this should be kept...she should have been told way before this age appropriately. That is just going to cause hurt to everyone involved. They should step up to the plate and speak to her. Maybe you can offer to mediate the discussion? I would of course leave the decision up to the parents, however how is she going to feel knowing that EVERYONE knew but her? She may be angry with everyone and not just her parents.
J age 20 (biodaughter)
March 2007-FP's appealed decision
April 2007-New CRPT-DCF & CASA upholds decision for placement w/us
May 2007-ICPC finally COMPLETED!!
June 2007-niece is home with us
August 2007-voluntary TPR by biomom, Involuntary by biodad
July 2008-adoption by us YAY
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Community Moderator
Total Points: 197,396.26
Donate
For what it's worth coming from an non-adoptee, I would tell her, but I'm just like that. Secrets aren't good and the longer it goes on the worse it will be for her when the truth comes out in some other way. She deserves to know the truth of who she is and what her story is. It's completely ridiculous that people continue to hold onto this mind set of not telling a child they are adopted.
Little Lucy 7 (really a 17 yr old trapped in a 7 yr old body!)

Dr. Phil 18 yr old (returned Forever our Joy)

I love my teens!!

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ-Mohandas Gandhi

Community Forums Moderator