adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 10-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Total Points: 5,848.90
Donate
When is a boy's hair too short?

Hello everyone, my name is Valinda and I'm a newbie to this forum, which I found accidentally while browsing the internet. I am a single mom and live in Texas, where I have an 8 year old adopted black boy (not bi-racial). He is adorable and has been the greatest joy of my life. I am re-posting a question I put into another discussion thread, so my apologies for the duplication. My question to you mothers of little black boys is what type of haircut do you give him? I am currently having Curtis where a "zero" cut, which is basically shaved almost clean with clippers all over his head. It looks like someone drew little dots or sketched hair on his head. After experimenting with different styles and lengths over the years I have found this to be the most manageable look for him because his hair is extremely course (nappy) and therefore nearly impossible to comb or brush with him still looking presentable. I think he looks very sharp, nice and neat if you will, and I often receive compliments from others on how cute he looks. Where I live it stays relatively warm all year so this is his standard look. I am posting this thread because recently a white mother of a bi-racial child at my son's school (I'm Hispanic) questioned my decision to cut his hair so short, in her opinion, saying he was "bald-headed" and little boys shouldn't be bald-headed. My son's teachers have no problem with it and nobody else has ever confronted me about it until now. But it made me wonder, when is a boy's hair too short? Also, based on how I described my son's haircut would you consider him bald-headed??? I thought only men who shave their heads with a razor were considered bald-headed but I guess my son could be included in this description as well, I just never thought of him like that until now. Any feedback or thoughts you can share on this would be greatly appreciated and I'm very happy to be part of this forum!
Adoption Community Information
We'll Search for You!
Washington
Click here to visit Adoption.com Registry
Don't miss out on finding your match at Adoption.com's Registry. For just $9.99 per year we will do the searching for you. Receive notifications automatically. Plus...find out who is searching for you!
Adoption.com Registry

Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Total Points: 3,022.52
Donate
I'm AA and can tell you...unless you're going to grow it out long keep it cut short. My brother is 5 and he gets a low fade haircut which is pretty popular. Ask your son what he wants too. Frohawks are getting pretty common as well and are super cute! They can be done by braiding or like a regular mohawk (shaving the sides.)

And no I don't think he sounds bald. Just sounds like a short haircut. In my honest opinion, a boy's hair is too short when the skin is being removed from his scalp. That is just my opinion though.

Low Fade haircut

Last edited by MapleOak : 03-27-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Total Points: 79,722,356,173,810.17
Donate
The shortest I cut my biracial son's hair is 1/8". If your son likes his hair the way you cut it then that is all that matters.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Community Moderator
Total Points: 202,211.42
Donate
I'm in Texas too and most of the young AA(African American) boys in elementary school have very short hair, as do plenty of CC(Caucasian/white) boys. As long as he isn't bald/shaved, it sounds like his hair is kept extremely short. I think it is a nice clean look and certainly one is easy to maintain. As the boys get older they are able to grow it little longer because they can then deal with keeping it combed and neat.
Little Lucy 7 (really a 17 yr old trapped in a 7 yr old body!)

Dr. Phil 18 yr old (returned Forever our Joy)

I love my teens!!

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ-Mohandas Gandhi

Community Forums Moderator
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Total Points: 92,645.85
Donate
I keep my sons' hair short as it's neat. and they don't put anything in it so it's dry.

Adoptive mom to 4

L, came home 5/05; adopted 6/06
P, came home 2/06; adopted Adoption Day, 06
J, came home 5/07; adopted 1/09
B, came home 5/07; adopted 1/09

Respite to D and J