adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 01-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Total Points: 98,716.80
Donate
How many kids are you allowed??- foster/adopt

I was just wondering about something. OUr state allows foster/adopt homes no more than 8 kids/ home.
I'm wondering how come there are so many families who have large numbers of children in the home? I would love to have a large family, but seems our adoption laws limit the number. If we get the two foster/adopt kids we're waiting for, then we'd have to wait until our oldest moves out to adopt again.
so those of you who have added to your large families through adoption - how did you do it? Do they make exceptions in some cases?

Process started: 10/05
Homestudy completed: 7/06
Foster care licensed: 8/06
Children placed 8/07-11/07-4-08

FD 4yo
FS 2yo
FS 1yo
Awaiting TPR and finalization - hopefully by the end of '08!
Adoption Community Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
We'll Search for You!
Washington
Click here to visit Adoption.com Registry
Don't miss out on finding your match at Adoption.com's Registry. For just $9.99 per year we will do the searching for you. Receive notifications automatically. Plus...find out who is searching for you!
Adoption.com Registry

Old 01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Banned
Total Points: 125,824.41
Donate
Our state only allows 5 children in the home at a time unless they get special approal. I too was wondering how I can hear about all these stories of a family adopting 22 children and things like that. I know in most cases those parents accept lots of special needs children and maybe that is why they get the approval because they are in high demand. Or maybe they come from states where there is no limit to the number of kids, I don't know?

Maybe you can ask for special permission? I'm sure they would do it if say you are taking a large sibling group since those to are hard to palce and they like to keep them altogether.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Donate
only 5?? So the total number kids you can have is 5,or the total of adopted/foster kids?
I guess I should be grateful our state allows 8.
You'd think with severely disabled kids the number would be LESS - just because they need so much attention and care. Just like when I did day care - the more younger children you had, the less you could have. Like under age 2- the limit was 2 per caregiver.

FD 4yo
FS 2yo
FS 1yo
Old 01-28-2007, 12:41 PM
Total Points: 7,753.87
Donate
I KNOW THE ANSWER , I KNOW THE ANSWER YEAH FINALLY ONE I KNOW!!!!!!!

There is a federal law that overrides all state laws on this if any of the kids are sibs they are counted as a unit of 1.Except in the circumstances of children under age 2, where there are more rules.
Been there, done that , Fought that War and won!!!

S/ girl 11 Years My little adult

S/ boy 8 Years My energy Ball
K/ boy 6 Years All Boy
Disrupted after 8 months Due to appealed TPR Sibling set of 3 Inter state Foster Adopt 3/7/07[/size][/color]
In State Foster Adoption Disrupted 10/2003 Sibling Set of 2 Teens Due to appealed TPR

12/07 Decided our hearts needed a sure thing. Submitted study and began International process for our 2 boys ages 1-3 from Ethiopia.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Donate
THanks Shelly for your input!
I am in Central WI( southern portion) , too!!

FD 4yo
FS 2yo
FS 1yo
Old 03-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Total Points: 43,096.42
Donate
OOO I need more info on this federal thing! Anyone????

proud adoptive mom to:
D (18) & KJ (16),
S (15),
R (14), J (10), & JJ (8)
M (13), KR (9), & KB (7)
Guardian to T (11)
Old 04-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Total Points: 4,766.79
Donate
Would like to know more about this federal law.

We have 2 bio daughters and have a date in a few days to finalize the adoption of a sib group of 5. Our state has the law of 8 kids. There is a sib group of 2 that we would love to add to our family but that would put us at 9.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Total Points: 652.58
Donate
Question

Hey I'm new (well new to posting-not to reading!) I'm dreaming of a VERY large family in the future !!
That federal law about sibling groups is really interesting, thanks. Does it apply only to the children to be adopted, or to the kids already in the home? I.E. if you have say 8 kids in the home, but they were adopted as 4 sibling groups of 2, does that count as 4 children? Or is it just that any new sibling groups count as "1 child" in that respect?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Total Points: 67,041.24
Donate
In Kansas, foster homes can be licensed for 4 kids to have a total of 6 children in the home (up to 4 foster and 2 legal children). Legal children over the age of 16yrs do not count as a "child". If you don't have any legal children then you could get a waiver to have up to 6 foster children.

I've never heard of a limit on the number of children if you are adopting. We've had families with 13+ children through birth and adoption. Many larger families find it difficult to be selected as a pre-adoptive placement for additional children to be adopted out of foster care.

Mom to a wild and crazy bunch:
Adopted - A1 - 12 yrs (adopted Oct 2005)
Adopted - A2 - 8 yrs (adopted Dec 2006)
Biological - T - 4 yr (born Jul 2008)

Total of 104 foster children and 4 foreign exchange students at last count.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Banned
Total Points: 16,717.50
Donate
You can always go international

We have 6 children (ages 7, 7, 4, 4, 3, 3). We adopted 2 from Cambodia, 2 from Haiti, 1 domestically (originally adopted from Haiti, then disrupted) and 1 homemade. There are a few countries out there with family size limits and lots of kids that need homes.

Kelly
Old 12-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Total Points: 43,096.42
Donate
I've six adopted kids, and my State (WI) has the limit of eight kids per family, BUT they allowed me to take in a sibling group of THREE, so I have nine right now... there is a one year old sibling I"m trying to get as well, but they're not being swayed so easily and it's doubtful I'll be able to get placement of him... but it's worth a try!

:~) Kelly

proud adoptive mom to:
D (18) & KJ (16),
S (15),
R (14), J (10), & JJ (8)
M (13), KR (9), & KB (7)
Guardian to T (11)
Old 08-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Total Points: 435.57
Donate
How do you find out what your state allows? I live in NM.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Total Points: 17,380.68
Donate
Check your state website for children in family services. Example Illinois is DCFS, every state calls it something different but it should be in there licensing standards, or if you don't want to try and read all that fun stuff get their 800 number call and ask.

In Illinois you can have six children total if you foster. There are exceptions and you can get waivers for large sibling groups. They also count specialized kids as two. Those kids have medical or behavioral/emotional issues.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Total Points: 26,840.69
Donate
Anyone know the limit in Kentucky.
Just had first homestudy done 10/05/09
Graduated FosterCare/Adopt Classes: 11/3/2009
12/30/2009 Final Homestudy

Homestudies and inquiries sent so far for adoptions: 138
Currently:
01/07/2011: New FD, age 6, cousin to current Fk's
06/10/10: Present: foster to adopt 10, 8 year olds, girl and boy. No family contact
08/24/10: Sent in homestudy for adoption of sibling group of three. 2 girls, 1 boy; ages 18 months, 3 and 4. Heard from worker already, waiting to see if we are picked.
09/10 Not picked
09/10 Sent in homestudy for another sibling group of three, one boy, 2 girls. Pray for us!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Total Points: 530.71
Donate
Depends on where you live

Every state is different when it comes to how many children you may have in the home, and even then, each state will specify how many of those kids can be foster kids, and how many can be biological or adopted kids. For example, in Louisiana, you are allowed a total of 8 kids, and that includes all kids in the home. However, in Alabama, you can have as many kids in the home as you have room for as long as you don't have more than 6 foster children at a time, and even then, you can get special permission from the state to go over that limit if it is due to the placement of a sibling group that the state doesn't want separated. So basically, here in Alabama, if you keep adopting foster children, then as soon as the adoption is finalized, then that opens up a spot for a new child to come.
But like I said, every state is different on how they are set up, so you really would have to contact the state and ask them directly about the rules. But I will also add this, if you are adopting from another state, they can judge your home based on their standards if they choose to. For example, I have the room for up to 6 foster children, and I had inquired about a sibling group in California, but I was told that because I already have 6 children (3 bio, 3 adopted), which is the limit there, that I could not adopt through their state. So, I guess it all depends on where you live, and from which state you are adopting from. I hope this helps!!