Adoption.com Forums (http://forums.adoption.com/)
-   Pacific Island Adoption General Support (http://forums.adoption.com/pacific-island-adoption-general-support/)
-   -   Adoptees from Orphanage: Hospicio de San Jose (http://forums.adoption.com/pacific-island-adoption-general-support/116412-adoptees-orphanage-hospicio-de-san-jose.html)

lizaju2000 09-28-2003 06:23 PM

Adoptees from Orphanage: Hospicio de San Jose

Hi, my name is Liza, and I am an adoptee from the Hospicio de San Jose, Manila Philippines. I am in search for information on this particular orphanage. I was a resident there before being adopted by my American Family. I am now 30 and I plan to visit the Philippines for the first time since I left approximately 27 years ago. I am interested in hearing from anyone who may have been from the same orphanage or if anyone has any helpful information how I can get in touch with them if they still exist.

Thanks

Aussie James 10-30-2003 10:05 AM

Hi Liza,

This is the first time I've ever done one of these message forum thing's so hopefully you will read this. The reason why you your message caught my eye because I am also 30 yrs old and would you believe was also at the same orphanage 30 yrs ago. So maybe we were there at the same time. I was adopted also by an American family at the age of 2, but stayed in Manila till I was 5 and left to go and live in Australia.
Like you I also haven't been back and eventually would love to go back and see where I grew up.

As for finding my birth mother I think that is like finding a needle in a hay stack. In my case I was abandoned. My mother left me in a turn cradle in the wall of the orphanage on 23rd Decmber 1972.
So there is no records or any forms signed by her to indicate her where abouts. To be honest it doesn't really faze me because I have been pretty lucky and have been adopted by a great family.
I have two sisters from my adopted parents and a younger brother who is also from them so I'm the only one adopted.

What about your family?

Is there a chance or possibility in finding your birth mother ?

As for the orphanage I think it's still there. I actually found your message when I used Yahoo and type San Jose Orphanage Manila and your message came up first.

So where are you living now?

I was in Australia most of my life, but have moved to London and have been here for the last two and half years.

anyway hope to hear from you.

James

rache35 11-10-2003 05:18 AM

hospicio

hey... you can contact hospicio de san jose in this number: 7342366. but i'm not sure if the country cod is either 036 or 063. and its in Ayala Bridge, Manila. In the bridge theres like this small gate or street or whatever that you can go through.
good luck! ^_^

Aussie James 11-10-2003 06:52 AM

Rache35

Hi Rache,

Thanks for the number. I will have to give them a call soon.
Are you from San Jose orphanage?
If so what year did you leave?

Talk soon

James

nosferatu_jon 03-01-2004 11:26 PM

number to call

Hello,

The number to call is +63 2 734-2366 or +63 2 734-2367 or +63 2 734-2368. They're still there. The location that Rache gave is correct.

My name is Jon by the way and I'm not adopted. I just want to help out people looking for information here in the Philippines. I was born here and I'm still here working for an IT company.

Anyway, good luck!

orphanagemom 03-02-2004 03:57 PM

awsome!!!

Hi,
My husband is Filipino, and was also adopted 32 years ago from Hospicio de San Jose! He was also left in the turning cradle. He was born Dec. 10, 1970, and adopted when he was 8 months old by an american couple. Coincidentally, his name is also James! We are going there in about 3 weeks to pick up our new daughter who is 2 1/2 years old! We have information on them, and we email the directress on a weekly basis. Her name is Sr. Kit, (short for Enriqueta Legaste, D.C). ICAB let us request the same orphanage since my dh was adopted from there. Some pictures of the front of the building, and a few of the children are on our website - including a picture of the actual turning cradle and the wall/hole it sat inside - sorry, but we haven't updated things, but the pictures are there! http://orphanage_fund.tripod.com My husband went and visited for the first time in Aug. 2002, and loved it! He was so touched by the love, and caring nature of these wonderful people. The children are happy and beautiful. Please pm me if you'd like to email us! We've done a few fund raisers, and have been able to send in "Santa" for the past 2 Christmases. It has been so fun to be a part of their lives. Good luck, and it was wonderful to see your post!!!
Jen
p.s. if you'd like to write to the orphanage, their address is

Hospicio de San Jose
Ayala Bridge, Manila 1001
Philippines
63 2 734 2366 or 67

When you are crossing the Ayala bridge you turn off about half way across onto a small road that takes you straight to the orphanage. The orphanage is the only thing on the "island"!

orphanagemom 03-16-2004 10:55 PM

Going back a second time

I did not realize that my wife had posted to this site. My name is James. As my wife mentioned, I was adopted at 8 Months from Hospicio de San Jose. We have been very blessed and fortunate to have been able to return and be a part of the children's lives there in the orphanage. Within a few weeks we are returning to the Philippines to pick up our daughter who is from the same orphanage. We have felt that this adoption has been a great privilege and blessing to be able to provide the same opportunities that I was given. If anyone would like to call us and talk about the experiences we have had, we would welcome a private message to provide correspondence with our contact information. Please let us know.

James

Aussie James 03-17-2004 09:39 AM

Hi James,

I'm not to sure if you received my e-mail, as I sent you an e-mail via the contact details on your web site, which was very interesting to see photo's of the orphanage.

I was adopted, but at 2 years old and lived in the Manila till I was 5 years old and then moved to Australia.

I am in the process of organising a trip back to the Phillippines in March 2005 for my Dad's 70th birthday. It will be the first time I would have been back for 27 years.

I plan to go and visit the orphanage when I'm over there.
Do you have an e-mail address I can contact you on so we can have a better chat?

James

Lambrecht Piet 03-29-2004 03:48 AM

Hi, my name is Piet Lambrecht. I am a Belgian (Europe) and last year, april 2003, I married Ruby Glenn Camarista Camato.
My wife worked several years as a housemother in the Hospicio the San Josť! So she knows a lot of people overthere.
I'm looking for an Email address of the Hospicio, so my wife will be able to send an Email to her "former" children, friends and Sisters. I also was very touched in an emotional way, when I visited the Hospicio last year! I'll never forget the warm welcome I got from the children, my wife was taking care for the last years.
Altough Ruby (my wife) is very happy with me in Belgium, she misses her children, friends an d naturally the Sisters...
So, if anybody could give me their EMail address, you would make us very hapy!!!

Aussie James 03-29-2004 04:04 AM

Hi Piet,

I don't know of any e-mail addresses, as I haven't been back to the orphanage in 29 years, but if you scroll down and have a look at a couple of the threads on this page you will see one of the members has set up an internet site to raise money for the orphanage. If you get in contact with him he might be able to help you out.
I'm sure he will also be reading your thread so he will probably contact you also.

I am actually planning a trip next year in March 2005 to go back to the Philippines and visit the orphanage. I 'm really looking forward to it.

regards

James

Lambrecht Piet 03-29-2004 04:18 AM

Hi, Aussy James,

thank you very much for the quick reaction!
I scrolled down, and I found the information you talked about. I hope that through that person I finally can find the EMail address of the Hospicio.
I plan to go back overthere in 2006, whem I am visiting the relatives of my wife, Ruby.

Thanks,

Piet

Aussie James 03-29-2004 04:23 AM

Hi Piet,

Glad I could help !!

James

orphanagemom 03-29-2004 08:23 PM

Hi Piet,
We do have the email address to Sr. Kit (Enriqueta Legaste) Does your wife know her? I will email Sr. Kit if you'd like, and ask if it is ok to give you her email address. We will be traveling soon, and are going to stay in the orphanage the two weeks we are there! Was Ruby there at Christmastime in 2002 or 2003?? My husband and I are the ones who sent in the LDS missionaries to give the children Christmas presents. It was so fun to raise the money, and then to watch their cute little faces as they sang to us on the tape. I can't wait to go meet all these sweet children. Let us know if we can be of any help to you!!
Jen

Lambrecht Piet 03-29-2004 11:25 PM

Hi Jen,

nice to meet you. My wife, "Ate Ruby", was there in the orphanage at Christmas 2002 as a housemother. She surely knows Sr. Kit! Ruby and I got married on 23 April 2003 in Cainta Rizal, St Joseph Subd. Before the marriage Ruby took a holiday without pay for 1 month and stayed with me there, in Cainta, at her cousin's place. I also visited the hospicio, together with my wife and I got a very "big" welcome of the "children" of my wife, her friends (housemothers) and the Sisters.
You'll make us very happy to ask Sr. Kit to give us her email address. If you want some references : the full name of my wife is : Ma. Ruby Glenn Camarista Camato; born in Leon, IloIlo on 14 September 1974. Housemothers she worked with : Ate Luby, Ate Lourdes, Ate Margie (now working in Taiwan). One of "her" children was Sarah Olivier. Sarah is now staying in Switzerland and you know, Sarah is still writing us in Belgium. As for myself, I am a captain in the Belgian Army. I remember Sr. Kit was a little bit worried, coz one of her housemothers was marrying a "military". But then I explained her that a Belgian trooper is not like a Philippine soldier, that we are not that much exposed to danger. So, I believe Sr. Kit will still remember us , now.
Thank you for answering my thread!
Piet.

orphanagemom 03-30-2004 04:39 PM

Happy emailing! Sr. Kit was sooooooooooooooooooooooo excited to hear about your wife!
Jen