adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 07-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Total Points: 725.00
Donate
Maternity homes in the 40's

Does anyone know which maternity homes were in existance in St Louis in the mid 1940's? Thanks.
Adoption Reunion Information
Our reunion registry can aid your search for your birth family. Premium memberships available, offering benefits like:
  • Automatic searching
  • See who's viewed your profile
  • Higher message limit
  • Copy of Search & Reunion E-book ($19.95 value)
  • Just $9.99 / yr!
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
We'll Search for You!
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoption.com Registry
Don't miss out on finding your match at Adoption.com's Registry. For just $9.99 per year we will do the searching for you. Receive notifications automatically. Plus...find out who is searching for you!
Adoption.com Registry

Old 08-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Total Points: 1,596.07
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiwackit
I am in the process of establishing a list of known maternity homes in St. Louis. Currently I have five homes.

MO Baptist Children's Home
Booth Memorial
Bethesda Dilworth
Villa Maria
ECHO

For anyone searching I have current address and phone numbers.
For some of the homes I have additional information ie: records maintaince, searching help.

If any one knows of another home please let me know and I will research and add it to my list.

Anyone needing research help please contact me.

Dolores
Were any of these maternity homes still in existence in 1963 and would they have records from that time?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:05 AM
Total Points: 11,691.77
Donate
st.louis maternity homes

All of the homes were operating in 1963 also there was St. Ann's. It depends are which home the birthmother was at as to where (if at all) the records are.

Are you searching a particular home or just searching all of them?

Dolores
Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 AM
Total Points: 1,596.07
Donate
I'm not sure. I'm just starting out. My birth cert. has no listing of a place of birth other than St. Louis and I'm trying to figure out where to start to figure out where to find records of where I might have been born.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:56 PM
Total Points: 102.00
Donate
Where is the article about St. Ann's home? I am new to searching, and was born there in 1955. I cannot find anything about it.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Total Points: 191.09
Donate
This is my first post...

I am a birthmom that gave birth to a baby girl on February 13, 1989. I have received the birth index and found that her name was not changed just the surname. I now know her name, but have had no luck in finding her on the internet. She just turned 18 and would still be in high school

I have tried to contact Missouri Baptist Children's Home off of St. Charles Rock Road in Bridgeton, MO to update the non-identifying information. The contact person there is someone by the name of "Karen Grazeberg?". She hasn't gotten back with me, but I would like to know if anyone knows if there will be a charge for this, how long will it take and what exactly will it consist of.

Does anyone have any ideas what should be my next step in this process after updating the non-identifying info? Will there be non-identifying information for me to receive from them?

Last edited by msspoon : 03-16-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Donate

I would keep in touch with Karen as this is not high on thier list of things to do. Depending on where the archive files are kept retrieving information or gaining new info could take several days to weeks. If you are just updating contact information or additional family info I wouldn't think there would be a charge but I do not know this for sure.

If you have a name have to tried St. Louis phone directory, hoping the family stayed in the area?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Total Points: 191.09
Donate
I haven't tried looking them up. The last name is Kelly. As this is a very highly populated Irish catholic area, there are quite a few Kellys. Do you think that they might have put their first name in any information that they left for me? Is that something that people usually do or is that out of the ordinary?

Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Total Points: 192.56
Donate
Dolores -

I stayed at Villa Maria in 1981 and have since reunited with my bd. I'm just curious - the address 5079 Queens sticks in my mind. Is that correct for Villa Maria? What ever happened to the place? How long was it open?

Thanks

Dkaykay
Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Total Points: 642.93
Donate
My mom had a baby at St. Ann's in 1947. I don't know the full name of the institution, she said it was on the north side of the city, and she called it the unwed mothers' home. Hope that helps.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Donate
St. Louis Maternity Homes - St Ann's

Dave Losses a St. Louis historian and genealogist wrote a very informative article about St. Louis Maternity Homes. I have spoken with him in the past about this home and he believes that if there are records they would be with:
Catholic Services for Children and Youth
20 Archbishop May Dr.
St. Louis, MO 63119
314-792-7400
rking@ccstl.org
Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Total Points: 476.40
Donate
hi my name is barb and I had a son at bethseda dilworth hospital and stay at the home.do you have any other info about the hospital ? I know it's changed to st.louis university. Thanks God bless
Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Total Points: 342.76
Donate
Booth Baby Adoption Registry

Please see my website:
The Adoption and Search of a "Booth Baby"

and click the link to the adoption registry on the front page. We are in the process of merging 2 Booth Registies into one. So make sure to post on both registeries until we merge all the data.
Thanks and good luck searching!
Laurie
Owner of Booth Baby Adoption Registry and Co-moderator of Booth Baby Adoption Registry at yahoo groups.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Total Points: 476.40
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspiwackit
I am in the process of establishing a list of known maternity homes in St. Louis. Currently I have five homes.

Booth Memorial
Bethesda Dilworth
Villa Maria
ECHO

For anyone searching I have current address and phone numbers.
For some of the homes I have additional information ie: records maintaince, searching help.

If any one knows of another home please let me know and I will research and add it to my list.

Anyone needing research help please contact me.

Dolores
Hi how are you ? You helped me before.I have my sons birth certificate and papers from the st.louis courts stating that I gave consent for adoption.How do I get non-indentifing information? He's birth date is 11/3/1969. micheal joseph porter born 1:18 pm at Bethesda dilworth hosipital.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Total Points: 209.31
Donate
looking for my father's birth parents

Hello,
The information I have is that my father was born in Bethesda Hospital in 1913. He was sick there for a couple of years and then adopted by John HC Fritz and his wife Emelie. They must have changed my father's name to Henry Fritz, but I do not know his birth name or how to find it. Any help wold be appreciated!

Lois