adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Total Points: 25,859.66
Donate
Can I request a girl if I have boys?

I have two bio boys and we are wanting to adopt a little girl....but were told that we cannot request a girl if we were to decide on Korea. Is this true? If it is, is it an agency rule or a Korean gov rule??

Thank you!!
International Adoption Information
International Adoption
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Total Points: 1,003.84
Donate
We adopted our son 6 1/2 yrs ago from Korea. We are waiting to get a call any day to get our little girl from Guatemala. We would have gone back to Korea for a little girl, but it's too hard to do this. The answer to your question is unless it has changed since 2 yrs ago., you cannot request a gender. Also, they are only letting "special needs" kids be adopted by families from the states. This also was a change they made. They were wanting to encourage domestic adoption in their country and this is what they did . The healthy kids are for the Koreans to adopt. We would have love to gone back through the Korean program. It's was so much faster and better than Guatemala's process. No dossier! The time also has become alot longer. The agency we used was Adoption Services from Silver Springs Maryland. The site is asia-adopt.org. They were very good to work with. You can ask them on the latest news about adopting from Korea. The kids are adorable. I love my son sooo much! He is so sweet and very handsome.

I wish you the best.

JE
Old 08-28-2008, 06:42 AM
Total Points: 105,099.04
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtosons
I have two bio boys and we are wanting to adopt a little girl....but were told that we cannot request a girl if we were to decide on Korea. Is this true? If it is, is it an agency rule or a Korean gov rule??

Thank you!!

Some families can request a female referral when they have all male children in the family. It's very agency dependant. Therefore, the best way to look into this is to find the handful of Korean Adoption agencies that can place a child in your state. Then, call up those agencies and ask them if they allow for gender requests and what their policy is. Many agencies have stopped accepting requests due to the fact that the vast majority of children available for international adoption from Korea are boys.
12/25/06: Became a Mommy!!!

11/17/07: Started our Second Adoption Adventure
02/22/08: Our wait begins to go to Korea
03/11/09: Waiting for our Little Gal
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Total Points: 91,854.85
Donate
Gender selection is an agency issue, not a Korea issue.

Most agencies do not allow first-time parents to select gender, though a few may.

However, many agencies do allow parents with other children (bio or adopted) to select gender. They know that some families either have room-sharing constraints or want to have children of both genders.

Sharon
born 10/18/95
adopted 5/5/97
Xiamen (Fujian prov.), China
Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Total Points: 1,283,099.33
Donate
When we adopted from Korea in 2006, we were able to choose to adopt a girl because we already had two boys. However, this was right before all of the changes. My understanding is that now (due to the within country adoptions) there are very few girls available for adoption to families in other countries.
Carolyn
July 15, 2005/Home forever from Guatemala with son #2
March 15, 2006/Start adoption from South Korea!
May 18/Homestudy to Korea
June 12/Accepted referral of baby girl
July 21/Received I-797 finally!!!
September 25/Received I-600
September 27/Travel Call
September 29/United with our daughter
September 30/HOME to complete our family!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Total Points: 8,255.79
Donate
As everyone said, it depends on your agency. Most of the agencies won't allow gender selection if you have no children. For our first adoption, we could not choose the gender, then we changed agency for our second adoption. This new agency allowed us to pick a gender since we already have a boy. However, we decided to be open to either gender. PM me if you want more info on my agency.

Daniel, DS home on 9/7/06
Baby#2, HSTK on 2/20/08
Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Total Points: 5,449.23
Donate
It is agency dependent. We have 3 sons and requested a girl from Korea. We waited over 9 months for a referral but we brought our little girl home this past July!
DS - bio (2-25-03)

Application sent for our little girl 7/31/06
Beginning Homestudy Feb 2007
Fingerprints for I600A complete
Homestudy Complete - May 2007
HSTK - June 2007
REFERRAL! It's a girl!! 3/25/08
She's home! 7/9/08