JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 09-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Total Points: 270,341.68
Donate
What Country Has the Shortest Time Frame?

DH and I are considering switching from domestic to international, and we were wondering what country or countries generally have the shortest time frame. We are completely open to race/ethnicity, gender, age, and would also be open to many medical issues.

The reason I'm asking about time frame is that we've already spent (I guess you could probably say wasted) since February on the domestic process, and we really don't want to spend any more time than we have to to get our child home.

Thanks. Any suggestions of places to look into are very appreciated.

April '09 -- Starting research into adopting from foster care
MAPP Classes: May 5 - July 7
June '09 -- Quit MAPP classes, adoption plans on hold while deciding if Haiti might be right for us in a few years, once DH finishes college.
International Adoption Information
International Adoption
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Total Points: 22,086.09
Donate
Referral times

Hi,
Eastern Europe, China and South Korea now are all plagued by waits that are unpredictable and tend to be long (even if in some cases you can get a rather quick referral, you may wait for a really long time before your child is ready to be home). Individual agencies sometimes can help you get around a long wait through "waiting child" programs. Waiting children vary in the severity of their medical issues.
Max's Mom

ps I adopted from South Korea, which is now undergoing a reorganization associated with efforts to encourage domestic adoption that is likely to substantially increase waits. However, I have heard through forums like this one that Ethiopia has quick time frames. I don't know how true this is, but thought I would add that as a postscript.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Total Points: 25,772.67
Donate
I've heard Ethiopia is quite fast! Our Kazakhstan adoption took 9mths start to finish but its a long trip. Some agencies are quoting 9mths or so for Vietnam as well.
Good luck!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Total Points: 3,851.58
Donate
Ethiopia is not currently seeing short times. Their times are certainly shorter than China is currently seeing, and more predictable than most of the E. European countries but wait times for referrals are getting increaseing longer in Ethiopia, especially for infants and girls.

Liberia is still extremely quick time. But, be very cautious who you use in Liberia. There are some great and some *really* bad working there.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Total Points: 3,846.16
Donate
other countries to consider

Ditto the above countries. Also check into Kyrgyzstan and Taiwan referral programs.

Blessings

Christine
Old 09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Total Points: 3,846.16
Donate
waiting children

One more thing - waiting children are expedited in some countries. I think the USA side expedites for this. My best friend is adopting a 2 year old special needs boy from China. She was pre-approved for her referral in June (no paperwork yet) and will be travelling mid-fall this year. Wow! I think this varies country to country (Guat. doesn't expedite *anything*) - so do your homework.

Christine
Old 09-06-2006, 04:05 AM
Mom to my kids

Total Points: 327,525,658,192,092.50
Donate
I am adopting my second special needs child. While some other places might, the US side doesn't do any expiditing. At least not the government, some agencies will do more, like give you the refferal before you are approved, etc. But the immigration paperwork is the same for special needs or not. Russia is having difficulties right now which could mean short or long waits. Ukraine is still getting back going and has a long stay possible. Poland is stable but can be a long wait and a possible long stay in country.
P- My 14 year old Russian princess, two prosthetic legs, dancer extraordinaire Home June 2000
M- 13 RAD, No legs, one arm, fast wheels!
Home Nov. 2006 from Poland!
Dh - Often just another child, but mostly my best friend and a pretty understanding guy.
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.

Moderator Go team!
http://momrainefamily.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Total Points: 1,033.60
Donate
wait times

Dh and I are adopting from Ethiopia and it is true that wait times are increasing. If you are looking for an infant boy, referral time has increased to about 4 months. However, if you don't mind adopting a toddler, everytime I look at the waiting child list, there are a couple of healthy boys around the age of two or three who are there because of age. After homestudy and dossier, if you pick a child off the waiting child list, the process should go quickly.
Cindy

Old 09-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Experienced Member
Total Points: 1,007.11
Donate
Smile Baja California - aprox 6 mos. post refferal

I know family law atty in Tijuana Mexico that has support from the American Consulate there on adoptions. She gets some refferals but if she doesn't have any pending situations, she will place an ad in local newspapers. Once the match is made, the legal process runs about 6 mos. I was succesfull and brought home my beautiful 11 mos. old daughter in Aug. 2005. email me and I can provide contact info.
Best of Luck !
Old 09-14-2006, 04:07 AM
Total Points: 270,341.68
Donate
I think we're sticking with domestic now -- we're signed up with two places which should make our process faster.

April '09 -- Starting research into adopting from foster care
MAPP Classes: May 5 - July 7
June '09 -- Quit MAPP classes, adoption plans on hold while deciding if Haiti might be right for us in a few years, once DH finishes college.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Taiwan Independent Mom
Total Points: 24,178.42
Donate
I would consider Taiwan

Hello,
I would consider Taiwan.. we got our Referral April 11th.. waited for some info on our baby medically until May 1st and accepted then.. we are picking up October 16th. So here was our time line
Submitted app to agency-march 26th?
Referral-April 11th
orphanage approval-June 9th(held up by our HS agency)
in the courts-june 26th
Hearing-August 18th
First ruling-September 15th and
Gotcha day-October 16th
If you have any questions.. please email me.
Sarah k.

Sarah k.
TAIWAN Independent adoption!!!!!!!
Started January 2008, referral of baby boy
in April of 2008.
Entering courts January,
Should be home March 2009

Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com
Taiwan info blog
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 AM
Total Points: 5,197.20
Donate
Would love to know more about your adoptions from Taiwan. My husband and I are currently looking into the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Mom to my kids

Total Points: 327,525,658,192,092.50
Donate
You may want to note that the post about Taiwan was written several years ago so the process may have changed since then.
P- My 14 year old Russian princess, two prosthetic legs, dancer extraordinaire Home June 2000
M- 13 RAD, No legs, one arm, fast wheels!
Home Nov. 2006 from Poland!
Dh - Often just another child, but mostly my best friend and a pretty understanding guy.
A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.

Moderator Go team!
http://momrainefamily.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Total Points: 23,123.88
Donate
I can rate Ukraine as one of the fastest countries if you adopt kids over 5 years of age.

After we had completed adoption dossier in US and sent it to Ukraine, we were invited to Ukraine which took approximately two months from a day of sending off our dossier and getting an appointment.

W have adopted twice from this country. The process in the country lasted for 25 days in 2009 and for 42 days in 2011. You can choose to make it within one trip or break it into two trips, depending on your schedule.

With Ukraine, you can also choose to go through an agency or adopt independently which is much cheaper.

If you need more info on Ukraine, I will be happy to help
Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Total Points: 87,092.50
Donate
Right now, you can expect average waits of at least 18 months to two years from homestudy to homecoming, with most countries. Some will have even longer waits, and almost no countries will enable you to complete a healthy infant/toddler adoption in a year or less. If you adopt a child with special needs, or a child of school age, the process in some countries may be quicker. If your agency lets you select gender, and you opt for a boy, you may have a quicker process than if you insist on adopting a girl.

But do recognize that things can change signficantly while you are in process. The country that is "quick" today may experience slowdowns because of changes in its adoption law or process, or simply because a judge in the region of the country from which you are adopting becomes ill and there is no one to replace him/her. Patience and flexibility will be important; unfortunately, countries aren't going to give you special preference because of your unsuccessful attempts to adopt domestically.

Your best bet is to choose a country that seems relatively stable, and a highly experienced and well respected agency with a long track record in the country. Then, once you provide the necessary paperwork, get on with your life. Accumulate some additional savings, do some household tasks that you won't want to do once your child gets home, take a vacation that nurtures your marriage, study the language and culture of the country from which you will be adopting, get some "kid" experience by volunteering in a children's hospital, etc. These sorts of activity will make the time go faster, and prepare you for the challenges of adoptive parenthood.

Sharon
born 10/18/95
adopted 5/5/97
Xiamen (Fujian prov.), China