adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Total Points: 2,397.25
Donate
Ontario Intercountry Older children/sibling adoption

Hello,

Has anyone who lives in Ontario been able to adopt an older children/sibling group through intercountry adoption? I have been told the Ontario ministry will not allow intercountry adoption of children over three, is this true?

Thanks,
Carol-Anne
International Adoption Information
International Adoption
Click here to visit Childrens Connections, Inc
Children's Connections, Inc. is dedicated to helping build families through adoption by providing services to support birth and adoptive families. Regardless of where you are in the adoption process, we can help.
Childrens Connections, Inc
(800) 456-4862  

Old 07-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Total Points: 5,523.59
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeboonana
Hello,

Has anyone who lives in Ontario been able to adopt an older children/sibling group through intercountry adoption? I have been told the Ontario ministry will not allow intercountry adoption of children over three, is this true?

Thanks,
Carol-Anne
Hi Carol-Anne,

I think there are families who have recieved approval to adopt older children from Haiti.

I'm not sure about other countries!

Hope that helps!

S.
sis2kensia@yahoo.com
Old 07-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Total Points: 79,385.99
Donate
Yes and no - our son was 3 and a bit when he came home. You have to ask for special permission while doing your homestudy to allow you to adopt children older than three due to the special needs/attachment issues many of them will have. Generally if you are a first time parent the Ministry will not allow it unless you have other qualifying factors (education in child psych., etc). Seeing as you already have extensive parenting experience you probably would not have any trouble getting approved for an older child adoption.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Total Points: 367.02
Donate
I heard of an Ontario family who adopted sibling boys aged 4 and 7 from overseas so it has to be possible somehow. I am interested in finding out how people were able to get around this rule and how we as an adoption community may be able to get this rule changed.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Total Points: 79,385.99
Donate
Hi kem,

Like I said, it is possible, but you need to get special permission from the Ministry, and it is not a guarantee. You need to show you've done extensive research on attachment issues and other issues, and you also need the support of your SW - and many of them don't support older childer IA's.

Researching #4??????

Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Total Points: 367.02
Donate
I just received this form the director of an adoption agency in Ontario. Please PM me if you wish to know which one.

"Regarding the age of children, there is no rule about it. If the social worker judges that you have the parental capacity to adopt an older child, it will almost always be accepted by the Ontario Ministry (even though it is true that they do not encourage it). The fact is that fewer children are available for adoption who are infants, and there is supposed to be an adherance to the principle of finding families for children in need, so things ARE changing."