Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 08-17-2000, 06:05 AM
Archived Posts
Total Points: 0
Donate
How do I go about adopting my wife's daughter

Originally Posted By Damon

Is it possible for me to adopt my wife's daughter without envolving her birth father. His name does not appear on the birth certificate and he has not been apart of her life since she has been born. Please advise on what steps I should take to legally adopt her.

Please note that there may not be a way to contact the author of this post unless they left contact information.
Adoption Information
Looking to Adopt?
Washington
Click here to visit WACAP
Since 1976, WACAP has placed over 10,000 children into loving adoptive homes and provided humanitarian aid to more than 200,000 children worldwide.
WACAP
(800) 732-1887   Fax (206) 575-4148

Old 01-01-2002, 03:52 PM
Archived Posts
Total Points: 0
Donate
Re: How do I go about adopting my wife's daughter

Originally Posted By Mike Schuller

I have raised my stepdaughter since she was 3 years old
now she is almost 9 years old. I would like to adopt
her. Her biological father has never contacted her mom or her nor given a penny of support. He would like to give up rights so I can adopt. Can you help?

Please note that there may not be a way to contact the author of this post unless they left contact information.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:47 PM
Total Points: 133.00
Donate
adopting step daughter

my husband and i would like him to adopt my daughter fiona also. he and i met when i was preganant with her, he has been taking care of her for 4 years now we have had other children together and we would really like to know how we can get this stuff started.fiona's father is in the army and half the time i can not get a hold of him he has said he would like my husband to adopt but then he changes his mind. he is no help at all. we raelly would like this to happen can any one help?
Old 03-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Total Points: 108.00
Donate
I see a lot of requests for help, but not any replies with answers on this thread. I too would like to request help adopting my wifes daughter. Has anyone gotten help or have any answers to the questions posted here??
Old 03-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Total Points: 99.00
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive
Originally Posted By Damon

Is it possible for me to adopt my wife's daughter without envolving her birth father. His name does not appear on the birth certificate and he has not been apart of her life since she has been born. Please advise on what steps I should take to legally adopt her.
http://www.njlaws.com/private_adoption.htm

The most common example is a step father adopting his wife's child from a prior relationship. In these cases, a Complaint must be filed in the Superior Court by the person (plaintiff) who wishes to adopt the child.

Visit that website it could provide you some answers. I am in search of the same answers you are. Good luck
Old 03-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Total Points: 99.00
Donate
Actually its called

Informed by a Kirsch and Kirsch Attorney its called "Step Parent Adoption", I can try to keep you guys up to date on the processes and what it takes, how much it costs.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Total Points: 1,465.00
Donate
I'm in the process

I'm in the middle of a Step Parent adoption right now. Basically there are limited options.

1 - the best option - get the bio dad to sign his rights away. This is easiest.

2 - Take him to court to have his rights revoked. This is what we had to do. We hired a lawyer and I highly recommend it. The bio dad was served with papers, and he didn't respond, so he loses by default.

We just had our home visit, and this whole thing should be wrapped up soon. Any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I'm no legal expert, but I can tell you what my personal experience has been.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Total Points: 196.56
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbsgirl
I'm in the middle of a Step Parent adoption right now. Basically there are limited options.

1 - the best option - get the bio dad to sign his rights away. This is easiest.

2 - Take him to court to have his rights revoked. This is what we had to do. We hired a lawyer and I highly recommend it. The bio dad was served with papers, and he didn't respond, so he loses by default.

We just had our home visit, and this whole thing should be wrapped up soon. Any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I'm no legal expert, but I can tell you what my personal experience has been.

I just got married and my husband has been caring for my 13yo for the last 6 years. Biological dad has never been present or financially supportive since she was 2. I recently changed her last name from his last name to mine (with bio dad's consent) about 4 years ago and am just beginning to explore the adoption process. I am nervous. May I ask how was the outcome and about how much in court and lawyer fees this cost you??