JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 03-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Total Points: 53,805.53
Donate
Our little guy was eating 4 oz by day 3! My pediatrician told me that babies have an automatic shut off valve! Go with your gut! feed your baby! Enjoy!

August 2010 started Foster parent classes

September 2010 met Birthfamily thru family friend

October 4, 2010 became licensed foster parents

October 5, 2010 attended the birth of our baby boy!!!

April 25, 2011 Adoption was FINALIZED!!!

May 5, Received new birth certificate

We are now waiting to welcome another child to our family...
Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Looking to Adopt?
Washington
Click here to visit WACAP
Since 1976, WACAP has placed over 10,000 children into loving adoptive homes and provided humanitarian aid to more than 200,000 children worldwide.
WACAP
(800) 732-1887   Fax (206) 575-4148

Old 03-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Total Points: 159,261.29
Donate
Feed as much as they will eat!!! Our LO was taking 3 oz every 3 hours 3 days after he was born!!! He was up to 4 oz every 2-3 hours when he was 2 weeks old. Please do NOT listen to the doctor. You will NOT hurt your baby by feeding on demand. If they are hungry.... feed them!! Congrats by the way!!!

My SIL thought her baby needed a schedule at 2 weeks old and refused to feed her little girl more than 2.5 oz every 4-5 hours. And then only started feeding her 3 oz a feeding when she was 3 months old. She never got over 4oz of breastmilk. (she pumped and bottle fed.... and had a crapload of milk...) that poor baby. I was sooo mad at her. Just because she wanted the baby on a schedule to make it easier on HER, that baby suffered!!! She would scream for 2 hours because she was super hungry and they would just let her scream because it wasnt such and such time... so they werent going to feed her until that time. She was sooo thin as an infant. She is still only in the 10th percentile for weight. It was to the point where I was going to tell her that they either start feeding her more, or i would do something about it.... and i would've too, but she started her on solids at 6 months and swore she fed her more than she needed!!!
And then she tried selling me the "leftover" breastmilk. I was sooooo upset. Try feeding your starving daughter that milk you idiot!!!

Sorry for the tangent....NOT saying you are doing this AT ALL... just ranting. Sorry!!!

Adoption journey took 2 years, but was
well worth the wait. Welcomed home a
precious baby boy. Now a family of 4!!!

Pursuing embryo adoption to complete
our family!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Total Points: 49,650.80
Donate
This is great! Thank you for all the responses.

I'm even writing the editor of the best selling book on baby's first year ( I think everyone knows which one I'm referring to) because there is nothing about bottle feeding during the first month.

My LO has been on 3 oz every 3 hours and doing great! Her digestive system even seems to be working better too. And yes, the reason the doc said only 2 oz was bc "newborns start throwing up at any more than 2oz before 4 weeks old and you don't want to get into that." I did not misunderstand bc I even asked what I'm supposed to do to help her gain (she lost .6 during first week of life) if I'm feeding her the max. He said it was normal (which I knew) but "absolutely no more than 2oz."

um ....not even an Exaggerated burp yet, and certainly no spit up, so I'm thinking 3 is her magic number for now. I am trying to keep her on a flexible schedule of demand but no more than 4 hours. She has set it herself at 3-4 hours.

2 week check up tomorrow... May be the last with this doc but I'm anxious to see how she checks out!

I cannot tell all of you how supported this thread made me feel. My sister in law said what you did, but it was great to hear from others that have bottle fed from day 1. I was quite upset with the no more than 2oz and then every friend saying they didn't know bc they didn't bottle feed until 3+ months.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted on tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Total Points: 103,191.06
Donate
My oldest was a NICU baby for a full week (5 weeks premature, some minor breathing issues on day one, juandice but pretty typical size at 6 lbs), being fed through a tube in his nose for the first 4 days before I arrived. The first time I fed him, he ate 3 ounces in one sitting. The NICU nurses and doctors were THRILLED. I would definitely feed the baby when the baby is hungry and until he is full regardless of what the clock or schedule says.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Total Points: 28,086.04
Donate
Find a new doctor ASAP. Breastfed newborns nurse around every two hours. I know that formula takes longer to digest, but you should always follow baby's cues. Feeding "on demand" doesn't only hold true for breastfeeding.

I breastfed my bio kids, so I had a solid grasp of what baby feeding is like. Our adopted son came home at 6 months old. When I gave him an 8oz bottle of formula, he guzzled it in desparation, like he was starving. I began "bottlenursing" which is a way of mimicing breastfeeding for a bottle fed infant. I fed him based on his cues, rather than a clock. I didn't force him to drink a specified amount at each feeding. After only a week of being fed whenever he signaled he was ready, he stopped guzzling 8 ozs at a time. He realized that the milk would be there when he was ready, and that he didn't have to drink it all or starve.

Please feed your baby when she's hungry and don't feel any guilt about it. Your doctor is WRONG.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Total Points: 355,571,582,433.67
Donate
I'd find another doc, it's crazy! At 2 weeks at the hospital the nurses were always trying to get my kids to eat more than 2oz at each feeding (every 3 hours). And my kids were small eaters!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 PM
Donate
My LO is doing fabulous...thank you for all the comments!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 AM
Total Points: 7,953.08
Donate
'i would caution bout changing docs over this. It is the guideline.. it's just that it's important to be flexible too.
10/24/11 officially waiting
12/28/11 matched
2/21/12 baby girl born
2/22/12 paperwork is signed!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Donate
I really like my pediatrician, just disagree over one additional ounce. Its not a deal breaker for me, because otherwise he has been great. However, it has made me aware that I need to balance the doctors advice with my own intuition on baby's needs.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:27 AM
Total Points: 9,061.31
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Jen
As a rule of thumb they can fit as many ounces in their stomach as half their weight.

This is exactly what our ped told us. Their age ,at this point, is irrelavent. Our baby was 5.8 lbs when we brought him home at first he ate 2oz about every 2 hours, the amount and time in between gradually increased as he gained wt.