Adoption.com Forums (http://forums.adoption.com/)
-   General Adoptive Parent Support (http://forums.adoption.com/general-adoptive-parent-support/)
-   -   OT: Razor Blades Found On Playground Equipment (http://forums.adoption.com/general-adoptive-parent-support/375363-ot-razor-blades-found-playground-equipment.html)

waitingforanangel 05-11-2010 12:38 PM

OT: Razor Blades Found On Playground Equipment

This morning, a woman was at the largest of our city's parks on the playground equipment with her 2 year old son when she discovered 9 razor blades attached to the play equipment, strategically placed where children would touch them. This is a sick, sick world we live in. The police are now looking at all of the other local parks and school playgrounds to make sure that this did not occur anywhere else. The person or people responsible did this overnight. The police are investigating but have no suspects as of now.

Just a word of warning as the summer approaches - check out the playground equipment that your child is playing on if you're in a public place! I would have never even thought of this type of thing happening before today. Better safe than sorry. It's so sad that we even have to discuss this sort of thing happening.

feelingreyt 05-11-2010 12:59 PM

I am shocked! I can NOT believe how sick and twisted some people are!

DannieAS 05-11-2010 01:19 PM

this must be a trend or some sort of thing people who do the are aware of.

I know this has been on the news at least 3x in the past where I live....One with razor blades, one with glass, and one with nails.

I don't understand why someone would even think this way.

waitingforanangel 05-11-2010 06:31 PM

Oh my gosh, Dannie. I was hoping it was an isolated incident here. (((sigh)))

sbaglio 05-11-2010 06:59 PM

We used to hear of this in Baltimore when I was in training there. We also used to get calls from the ER (I'm in peds ID) asking about what to do about HIV prophylaxis because a child was found in the playground chewing on a dirty needle/syringe.

mumofone 05-11-2010 07:17 PM

That's just sick.

We have had a similar incident in our area. We have a beautiful park, but at night, unsavory people hang out there.

On a few occasions, needles were found in the park benches. They were placed so that when someone would sit down, the needle would stick in them....sick.

Thanks for the reminder. We spend lots of time in local playgrounds/parks during this time of year.

jennygirl 05-12-2010 06:49 AM

I find this very scary!!! I was wondering if people would be willing share what city or state this has happened in, I'm curious due to the whole "copy cat" trend that happens when very disturbing things get public recognition.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!!
~jenny

crick 05-12-2010 07:16 AM

We haven't had the razor blades in our local area as far as I know, but we always kept watch anyway because of the needles & beer bottles "litter".

Especially with school getting out and warmer weather, the parks are used more.

It's sad and unbelievable!

DannieAS 05-12-2010 09:39 AM

I think that needles (unless strategically placed), beer bottles, condoms, broken glass always is an issue and one that we need to look for and make sure there's not this kind of litter around where our little ones will play (stupid people that litter these things)

on the nails, and blades done in a strategic manner....that was Orange county, and Los Angelos county....can't remember city. We get local news from all of socal, so it's a big place....just always reminds me to be on the lookout.

emtb79 05-12-2010 10:08 AM

The worst thing I have found so far in my playgrounds were empty drink bottles and used condoms.

waitingforanangel 05-12-2010 10:51 AM

EWWW - used condoms? I think I'd gag right there and then if I found one of those in the park. Gross!!!

DannieAS 05-12-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waitingforanangel
EWWW - used condoms? I think I'd gag right there and then if I found one of those in the park. Gross!!!

You've never found a used condom anywhere? wow. Not that it's common here, but occasionally we've spotted a couple of used condoms. Nasty. At least put it in the trash ya!;)

emtb79 05-12-2010 11:05 AM

I have the little bags you put the dirty diapers in and pick them up with the bag and put everything in the trash.

waitingforanangel 05-12-2010 02:16 PM

I think I've seen one occasionally in a parking lot or somewhere like that, but not in a park play area, thankfully! Oh, just the thought of it gives me the willies!!