Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 09-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Total Points: 14,615.66
Donate
Medicaid Catching On

I am usually a reader more than a writer at this site but I wanted to share my frustration. Our adoption attorney called and said that she is warning all her families that haven't been placed yet that they need to factor in the expense of the hospital fees for the baby's delivery now, even if mom has full coverage from Medicaid. Medicaid has caught on that adoptive families are using them to keep our costs down and has authorized the hospitals to "hold the baby hostage" from discharge until the adoptive family commits to the bill and pays in full in some cases.

If the adoptive family trys to allow Medicaid to take over, Medicaid then sends the bill to birthmom and ruins her credit if she doesn't pay. This of course puts the adoptive family in a nether world because our own insurance won't pick up until we have guardianship papers and for our state thats 10 days later when bmom signs off. If she changes her mom we are still stuck with the bill. Our attorney said take the loss and claim with the tax credit later, but as most of you know, its really two years out when you can use the tax credit, (2006 credits can't be filed till 2007 tax year and those taxes aren't filed until 2008 April) So you are out the money. Another huge gamble on what already is a BIG maybe depending on Bmom. God forbid if there were complications with the baby during delivery.

We have been burned many times, up to $20,000.00 over 10 years. We have had some foster kids in our care (not our preferable route to try to adopt. A lot of drama on that side of the house) but still haven't adopted yet. With the economy the way it is and adoption expenses being what they are, we are thinking it's too expensive to adopt! Uhg, as much as we want this, I don't know if we can afford to do this anymore.
Adoption Information
Walter & Tiffany (TX)
are hoping to adopt
Walter & Tiffany hoping to adopt A Service of Adoption Profiles
Adoption Confererence
Click here to visit Adoptive Parents Committee
Adoptive Parents Committee 33rd Annual Adoption Conference: Sunday, Nov. 24, 2013 St. Francis College, Brooklyn, NY 75 Workshops/50 Exhibitors/Bookstore Register Online or call (212)304-8497
Adoptive Parents Committee
(212) 304-8479  

Old 09-21-2008, 09:17 AM

Total Points: 3,526,601.74
Donate
This is discrimination & not legal from everything I have read. Where are you located? Maybe it is a state thing but I can assure you that they cannot "hold the baby hostage" until the bills are paid.

I would love to hear more about this.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Donate
I am in Georgia. Our attorney has said it is getting ugly but the hospitals were told by Medicaid that if baby isn't going home with bmom ,then do not submit papework to them. the hospital looks to the adoptive family, otherwise they won't get paid. According to our attorney, some couples where the bmom changed her mind, tried to sue bmom for money but judges aren't looking favorably on that and turns down the suit to not waste court time for money they probably won't get. Meanwhile adoptive family is out of money and no baby.

Last edited by jgs : 09-21-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Total Points: 46,545.17
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs
Medicaid has caught on that adoptive families are using them to keep our costs down and has authorized the hospitals to "hold the baby hostage" from discharge until the adoptive family commits to the bill and pays in full in some cases.

I'm confused by this idea. How are adoptive families "using" anything if the infant is not legally their child at birth?? This makes zero logical sense to me. (can someone else maybe clarify for a newbie to all of this??)

I'll be sure to look into the idea of it all though..see where Medacaid stands in our area prior to a situation. Frankly, I'd question the attorney supplying this information, seek out proof of this from the attorney him/herself and myself independently, and be sure that the information isn't a scam in and of itself...sounds fishy to me
Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Total Points: 19,621.33
Donate
Because we used an agency?

Okay, maybe it was different because we used an agency, but our son was legally released to the custody of our agency, who then placed him with us, so the bills for our son went to them. They then turned around and sent it to us to, asking that we pay or remit to our insurance. I just had to call the hospital, explain that we were adopting baby X, and give them our insurance info. In the state of IL our insurance had to cover the baby from the time he was born. In an attempt to simplify things, I waited to call the hospital until I had a card for my son in my hand! That only took a couple of weeks.

I understand that Medicaid does not want to pay for anything that it can get someone else to pay for - but there has to be a reasonable solution. I was surprised how easy the hospital, agency, and insurance company made the whole process for us. Thank goodness! I had enough to deal with at the time!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 10:34 AM

Donate
no- we also used an agency. The law is different in each state - ours is the day of placement they are covered, not born.

It's really the mother's expenses of the birth that is really costly also - and my insurance doesn't cover this.

The thing is - if that child is legally the birthmothers (which it is) then legally the expenses are hers (medicaid speaking). If she doesn't qualify, then yes the aparents should pay, but I don't see how they can say they aren't going to pay by a decision she will make 4 - 30 days later.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Eff Adoption.com

Total Points: 5,491,347.93
Donate
In 2003, Medicaid booted me for considering relinquishment until I mentioned something about my (non-existent) attorney.

This is not surprising at all.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:25 AM

Total Points: 90,321.67
Donate
Allow me to shed a little light on this if I may. In alot of states Medicaid was being abused as was Tricare by surroogacy arraingements where surrogates were using insurance while being compensated by the intended parents.
Because there are no universal regulations as far as states all having different rules and regulations, many states and insurance companies are placing exclusions on policies that if teh bmother is not keeping the baby, whoever is getting the baby is responsible for the hospital bills.
I know of a case in MA where a potential surrogate was wanting to use Medicaid for a traditional surrogacy and was told absolutely not.

I also thing alot had to do with a bmother getting expenses paid by PAPs. This would definately chance her income situation and her qualification for medicaid.

The bottomline is states as well as insuracne companies are wanting to cut down on abuse of these benefits. I do not believe this is discrimination at all.

I also think that with the enormous amounts of money PAPs are having to pay these agencies, the agencies should take some responsibility for these expenses.

Alot f this started about a year and a half ago with Tricare and private insurance companies and because the insurance companies began with certain exclusions medicaid was being used as an alternative and subsequently abused.
A simple Google search will reveal in depth what I am saying.

EZ

Old 09-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogi2002
no- we also used an agency. The law is different in each state - ours is the day of placement they are covered, not born.

It's really the mother's expenses of the birth that is really costly also - and my insurance doesn't cover this.

The thing is - if that child is legally the birthmothers (which it is) then legally the expenses are hers (medicaid speaking). If she doesn't qualify, then yes the aparents should pay, but I don't see how they can say they aren't going to pay by a decision she will make 4 - 30 days later.

I said what you said to my attorney but she said the issue is that Georgia lets the adoptive family go home from the hospital with the baby for the ten days we're waiting for mom to sign off. To medicaid she made the decision the day she lets the family go home with baby. If bmom changes her mind, its the risk of adoptive families, a chance we take. If we let her take the baby home for the ten days to work around the insurance, the attorney said then we run the risk she definitely changes her mind, and then she asked is that a risk we want to run.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 PM

Donate
Texas is the same way - but the birthmother actually signs before they are released sometimes (okay not sure on this I think it iis 72 hours or 48 hour after birth?)

We didn't have any issue what so ever on our medicaid. What happens if she parents?!? There is no WAY IN HECK that you should pay the hospital bills if she is going to parent. That is ridiculous. They usually don't bill it until later anyways and by that time (past 10 days) she will know wether she is going to sign or parent. I'm sorry that is just wrong if your attorney wants you to pay either way.

I would NOT allow that. Especially if it takes 10 days for her to sign - then legally that child is her for 10 days post birth. I would at least tell her to go try to get medicaid, if they make a deal out of it then she can tell them that until she signs relinquishment papers she can change her mind & she has not made a decision, she still has as much right to her child & assistance as the next person.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Total Points: 217,944,732.60
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs
If we let her take the baby home for the ten days to work around the insurance, the attorney said then we run the risk she definitely changes her mind, and then she asked is that a risk we want to run.

I know YOU didn't day this, but this line of thinking makes me want to vomit. If taking a baby home for 10 measley days would change a mother's mind would you actually WANT that baby still? When M didn't want Tyler to go to cradle care she was encouraged by all to bring him home till she TPR'd and we went to court. She didn't do that for various reason on her part. If the mother changes her mind because she took the child home, that was never your child...it was always hers.

that kind of thinking really makes me angry...like they are trying to protect the aparents from the "risk" that bmom will change her mind by limiting the time bmom spends with her child.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:52 PM
Total Points: 64,279.41
Donate
In AZ, the a-parents' insurance must pay the bmom's prenatal care if she doesn't have insurance. However, that rarely happens as the state equivalent to medicaid (AHCCCS) system usually covers if she does not have insurance.

We are waiting until mid-late Oct for dad's TPR. We have a court order for our insurance to cover the baby. This is retroactive to birth. So we are only paying co-pays for all her care right now even though TPR is not completed.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Total Points: 15,982.18
Donate
Actually, Whirled PEas, that is incorrect. The insurance company also has to be in AZ. A couple can live and work in AZ, and have BCBS Texas, for example, and that law would not apply.

To the OP, how does medicaid decide which expenses are the birth mother's and which are the baby's? Under normal cirucmstances, a teen mother can be under her parent's insurance, but the baby's expenses are not covered. How does this jive w/ what you described?
05/06/08 Yeah! Home Study approved!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:10 PM

Total Points: 90,321.67
Donate
jgs,
Could you please elaborate on your statement?

I hope you are not meaning to take the baby and run before the bmom decides to parent. If a Bmom does take a baby home for 10 days and decides to parent, then that baby was NEVER meant to be adopted out.

Your post truly sadens me and it it that very metality that gives Aparents such a bad reputation.
Sadly many refer to Aparents as baby stealers and other not so nice names. Shame on that lawyer for being so insensitive,
Also, as Alcee said, Would you really want to take a baby that the Bmom really wanted to keep, a baby that was not meant to be adopted?

I am really hoping that your post was only worded worded to sound so horrible and this is not what you meant to say. Do you really mean "Strike while the iron is hot" before the Bmom had a chance to change her mind?

EZ

I can tell you that as an adoptee if my Amom had that kind of attitude I don't think I could forgive her.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Total Points: 15,982.18
Donate
Whoa, Aclee and EZ, she said her LAWYER presented this as a possible scenario. She never said that she thought that, but that when she asked her lawyer more questions the lawyer told her that. She was ASKED if that was the risk she was willing to take, not ASKING us.

FTR - To the OP, you lawyer sound shady. Please save yourself some trouble in the long run and look at a Quad A attorney. This person is using fear tactics to get you where he/she wants you, and this is highly unethical. This person is preying on you. No one is preying on medicaid. There is nothing for medicaid to "catch on to." The birth mother's expenses should be covered by whatever medical insurance or coverage she has, and the baby's generally fall into the lap of the AP's. That money is at risk during the 10 days. Also, if any hospital is not taking medicaid in an adoptive situation that is unethical for 2 reasons. First, it is coersion to the birth mother. Second, they don't want to settle for the amount of money that medicaid will pay, which is much lower than they can charge AP's. Run, don't walk, from this attorney. If you need to, get an agency b/c it does not sound like this person is looking out for anyone's interest but his/her own.
05/06/08 Yeah! Home Study approved!