Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 04-29-2006, 05:39 PM
Total Points: 3,199.00
Donate
Unhappy Can you adopt with past history of depression?

Hello all,
My husband and I are researching adoption, especially international adoption in Kazakhstan.

Many of the agency applications we have come across make blanket statements such as "We do not accept applicants with a history of mental illness."

I was successfully treated for a bout of depression a couple of years ago, and do not have any current problems.

Has anyone had success adopting with a history of depression?

Also, why do agencies make such blanket statements when the term mental illness covers such a broad spectrum of conditions? It is like saying, "We do not accept applicants with a history of physical illness." Of course, this is outrageous because there is a big difference between high blood pressure and terminal cancer.

I find it ironic that adoption literature speaks frequently of post-adoption depression and appears very supportive in this area, yet makes it sound like all types of mental illness would preclude adoption.

Thanks in advance for any experience or info. you could provide.

Take care,
Lentil Soup
Adoption Information
Matt & Cindy (AZ)
are hoping to adopt
Matt & Cindy hoping to adopt A Service of Adoption Profiles
Hoping to Adopt?
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoptions From The Heart
Building beautiful families through adoption since 1985. A leader in open adoption, AFTH provides services to pregnant women wishing to create an adoption plan and adoptive families seeking to create a family.
Adoptions From The Heart
(800) 355-5500   Fax (610) 642-7938

Old 04-29-2006, 05:52 PM
I Tweet. I Blog. I Am.

Total Points: 160,178,229,373.37
Donate
Lentil,

Each country is able to set their own requirements as far as International adoption goes. They can pretty much restrict anyone they want, because the laws protecting those with 'disabilities' don't exist in other countries.

I'm not real familiar with the program in Kaz, because it hasn't been really active in recent years (to my knowledge)...but I do know that mental illness (in your case, depression) would NOT rule you out for other countries or even domestic adoption.

The Eastern European countries tend to have a lot of rules regarding mental health...currently, some regions in Russia require a clean mental health exam and letter attesting to 'no mental illness'.

To know the answer to your question, you'll need to ask the agency you're looking at. It's possible that they don't consider depression as mental illness. I can't see any agency excluding hopeful adoptive parents from a program because of depression - especially when many hopeful adoptive parents have experienced depression due to infertility and/or failed fertility treatments.

I think it's important that you pose this question to your agency and find out if they've had adoptive parents successfully adopt from Kaz with a history of depression. Make sure you pose the question like that...its really important that you ask if anyone has ever been successful with a history of depression - because if you ask if they've ever had a client who battled depression, that may not give you the full picture if that client was never able to adopt. Trust me, there ARE agencies out there who will tell you just about anything to get you to sign on the dotted line…so do A LOT of research…coming here was a great first step!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Total Points: 3,199.00
Donate
Thanks BrandyHagz,
That's encouraging information. Also, I like your advice to ask the agency whether they have had "adoptive parents successfully adopt from Kaz with a history of depression." Their response would let me know whether they have worked with people in this situation before, as well as their attitudes toward depression in general.

Take care,
Lentil Soup
Old 04-30-2006, 07:51 AM
The ZOO keeper!
Total Points: 402,462.15
Donate
I don't know about adopting from another country. but I know that with our adoptions it was never an issue. I suffered from major depression when I lost my father, then even more so when dealing with our infertility issues. I am actually on welbuterine. DH has PTSD from being molested as a child as well. We simply got notes from our doctor.

I think that depression being as wide spread as it is these days that what the real concerns are is probably bi-polar, schitsophrenia (sp?), and other major diseases effecting the ability to raise a child in a stable environment.

Kaiter-Bug...step daughter
Boo-Bear...step daughter
Bug-a-boo...3 year old A-son...adopted 12/30/05
Koda-Bear...3 year old A-son...adopted 6/2/06
Old 04-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Total Points: 6,684.72
Donate
I definitely agree that you should check with the agencies that you are interested in and find out what they have found qualifies as "mental illness". I don't mean to belittle anyone who struggles with severe issues such as scyhzophrenia or are bi-polar, but as a person who has suffered from depression on and off (and who takes Prozac just to keep things balanced) I REALLY don't consider myself "mentally ill". Maybe that's just me - but I think its a matter of degrees. Now, we are adopting domestically and it hasn't seemed to be an issue for us so far!
Starting over with new agency!
Old 05-01-2006, 04:21 AM
Total Points: 281,939.68
Donate
We are in the homestudy process for a domestic adoption and we were told by our agency that it would be no problem. DH and I have both had problems with depression and he was also diagnosed with PTSD. The agency said as long as we addressed it on our health forms and the doctor was comfortable saying he thought we'd be good parents, then we'd be fine.

April '09 -- Starting research into adopting from foster care
MAPP Classes: May 5 - July 7
June '09 -- Quit MAPP classes, adoption plans on hold while deciding if Haiti might be right for us in a few years, once DH finishes college.