JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 AM
Birth mom in reunion

Total Points: 45,386,376,718,193.36
Donate
Hmm... Crick, I immediately thought of my daughter who joined ROTC because it got her a virtually free ride to college and her goal of becoming a nurse. (I reminded her of that every time she came back from Ft.Dix complaining about the weekend - inevitably they were on the obstacle course in the rain.) She served 4 years active duty and didn't re-up because she had a newborn and could have been deployed 3 months after the baby was born. So was she brave or not? Selfless or selfish?

Birth mom to D (10/4/72)
Mom to J(7/6/76) and S (7/26/78)
Nana to: D's S, I, Z, A; J's R,B,J1, J2, M, M2,C ; S's AJ and E

"Weeping may linger for the night,
but joy comes with the morning." (Psalm 30:5)

Click hereTo read my story
Adoption Community Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Chris & Saloni (MI)
are hoping to adopt
Chris & Saloni hoping to adopt A Service of Adoption Profiles
Domestic Adoption?
Virginia
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 09-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Banned
Total Points: 179,059.67
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by usisarah
Personally, I think it's used in all sorts of ways. Some people, IMO, do use it solely as a tool for manipulation (I'm thinking of some of the adoption professionals I personally dealt with). Some people are using it exactly as you state above. Some people are just repeating what they've heard others say in similar situations because they just don't know what to say. Some people really do believe it's brave/selfless.

In the end, I agree with Hadley that it's best left out of the conversation all together.
I agree with usisarah, it is best left out of the conversation altogether.

I believe that many do "mean well" but it could come across as patronising to those who are on the receiving end.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Total Points: 5,861,182,975.80
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by caths1964
I agree with usisarah, it is best left out of the conversation altogether.

I believe that many do "mean well" but it could come across as patronising to those who are on the receiving end.

Personally? I'm more likely to let it slide when it's a person, that really could mean well.....and MUCH more likely to be suspicious when it's an agency throwing around the words brave and selfless.

But that might just be my jaded self after a few years of listening to stories about less than savory agencies....

Safe Haven First Mom in an Open Adoption
New Blog, New Location, Same Name!
I Should Really Be Working
Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksgivingmom
Personally? I'm more likely to let it slide when it's a person, that really could mean well.....and MUCH more likely to be suspicious when it's an agency throwing around the words brave and selfless.

But that might just be my jaded self after a few years of listening to stories about less than savory agencies....
Sorry, I meant to say many people mean well, I wasn't referring to agencies. Personally, I think agencies should be banned from using words like that - it is coercive language whether intended or not.

I think people telling a person telling a person they are brave/selfless/courageous to make a particular decision BEFORE they have made a decision is not a good idea because even if the person saying it means well, it could affect the other person's decision-making.

When said AFTER the decision by an individual, it is more likely to be meant well. However, it is still not a good idea because you may have no idea how the person you are saying it to feels and they could feel patronised.

Hope that clears up what I meant.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM

Total Points: 5,861,182,975.80
Donate
Hey Caths, I wasn't actually responding to anything you said really (though I can see how it might seem like I was!), but was more just chiming in with my thoughts on the topic.

Safe Haven First Mom in an Open Adoption
New Blog, New Location, Same Name!
I Should Really Be Working
Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksgivingmom
Hey Caths, I wasn't actually responding to anything you said really (though I can see how it might seem like I was!), but was more just chiming in with my thoughts on the topic.

That's OK. It is just that I am not great at expressing myself at times and I realised that when I said "many do mean well", people might have thought I was talking about agencies because I didn't make it clear. I just wanted to clear it up for other people as well.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Opinionator
Total Points: 19,951.61
Donate
How about we just don't say anything to anybody? That would fix things...

Proud adoptee

"I won't justify the way I live my life 'cause I'm the one living it, feeling it, tasting it and you're just wastin' your time trying to throw me a line when you're the one drowning. I like where I'm at on my back floating down in my own riptide; the water is fine."
-- Riptide by Sick Puppies

Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Adoptee

Total Points: 1,444,425.87
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfreak080
How about we just don't say anything to anybody? That would fix things...

I for one what to keep Crick employed ...and if we all just stopped talking then what? HOW would she afford her coffee???

Kind regards,
Dickons

Old 09-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Just a mom

Total Points: 158,458.88
Donate
a young man was recently the recipient of the Medal of Honor. his actions saved 36 other men from nearly certain death. his actions nearly cost him his life. he was aware of the risk he said he did it because there were no other options at the time.

brave. also selfless.

here in our adoption related world, i've seen people decide that birthmoms are being selfish when they choose to parent.

wrong on so many levels.

i'm not the word-choice police, but i know that i'm as guilty as anyone of choosing high-powered words that may not be as appropriate as some of their lower octane cousins. i'm going to try to be more mindful.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Opinionator
Total Points: 19,951.61
Donate
Quote:
a young man was recently the recipient of the Medal of Honor. his actions saved 36 other men from nearly certain death. his actions nearly cost him his life. he was aware of the risk he said he did it because there were no other options at the time.

Off topic, but, one of my cousins knows that guy really well. Played football with him in high-school and everything. He's from a super small town and I just think it's beyond awesome that someone so great came out of a place so small =).

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Proud adoptee

"I won't justify the way I live my life 'cause I'm the one living it, feeling it, tasting it and you're just wastin' your time trying to throw me a line when you're the one drowning. I like where I'm at on my back floating down in my own riptide; the water is fine."
-- Riptide by Sick Puppies

Old 09-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Banned
Total Points: 314,799.33
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfreak080
Off topic, but, one of my cousins knows that guy really well. Played football with him in high-school and everything. He's from a super small town and I just think it's beyond awesome that someone so great came out of a place so small =).

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Wow, what an honor to know Cpl Meyer! I saw an interview in which he said he felt that he failed because the four members of his squad he was trying to save died, in spite of all the others he saved. I felt so bad for him, but at the same time so in awe of him and his courage.

Yay for disobeying orders and doing what is right when the situation requires it! Please ask your cousin to relay my thanks and my awe if the opportunity arises.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.