Family Forums
Parenting Forums
Pregnancy Forums
Unplanned Pregnancy
Adoption Forums
Fertility Forums

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 02-19-2013, 11:24 AM
3 boys + 1 girl = perfect
Total Points: 249,178.42
Donate
Angry Birth certificate help

Hi all,
I need your help. We adopted in August and I cannot find nor get the birth certificate anywhere! I need this for many reasons. Number one being to get her a ss # and two to finally file taxes and adoption tax credit.

So I adopted in Town A
seems like Town A never filed her birth certificate with my town, Town B. neither Town A or B have a BC on record. The states vital statistics office doesn't have it either.

I've been calling and hounding Town A and they said they're on it. it's been 6 months!,

Now what?

Mom to 11 yr. 9 yr. 5 yr. 1 yr.

*Oct. 09 - Started the process to adopt a 1 or 2 girls ages 0-5

*Feb. 10 - Officially Licensed
*Sept. 10 - Matched with our daughter (7 mo) on my birthday!!!
*May 11 - Loved her 8 months until RU with relatives

*Nov 11 - 3 week old baby B placed - goal... adoption by us!

Aug 12 - Brooklyn is adopted after 2 yrs, 10 mo, 1 wk and 5 days from making a phone call about adoption until finalization!

One spot open: 1 foster or 1 adoptive

Adoption Information
Adoption Confererence
Click here to visit Adoptive Parents Committee
Adoptive Parents Committee 33rd Annual Adoption Conference: Sunday, Nov. 24, 2013 St. Francis College, Brooklyn, NY 75 Workshops/50 Exhibitors/Bookstore Register Online or call (212)304-8497
Adoptive Parents Committee
(212) 304-8479  

Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Total Points: 21,698.46
Donate
I certainly could be wrong but I think that you have to deal with Town A state vital stastics (and the adoption is finalized). The reason that one is not filed is the problem - was this a hospital birth? We had to go through a whole formal process with forms to file out, wait for reply, fill out and send another form.

So if you haven't already, I suggest going to Town A State website and find the form to request a birth certificate. Fill out the form with the information you know and send in form and wait for a reply - we got a phone call asking WTH did we send this in for and then we got to talk to a live person about the problem. She sent us another letter with another form and then we filled that out. This is how the ball got rolling for us. It was worth it because after 2 months we have an amended birth certificate and a social security number (once certificate received, went to ss office and we had the # in a week!)

If there is no birth certificate, the state vital stastic can provide a document, your LO immunization certificate, adoption decree (call the social security office bc some states require the decree to read a certain way - for instance ours didn't have our DD name in the decree so we had to get another document) and then you should be set to go in there.

If it is a hospital birth, and you know the name of hospital, it may be worth a call to them and ask to speak to someone who files the birth certificates and see what they have to say.

May 2011 - Select agency for domestic infant adoption

Sept 2011 - Active with profile

March 2012 - Chosen for baby born situation

March 2012 - Crazy set of events, baby girl taken into foster care

May 2012 - Selected by emom; baby due in summer

July 2012 - Our family grows, so thankful and happy
[/size]

Last edited by allwhohope : 02-19-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Total Points: 20,109.24
Donate
our atty had to have it to file theadoption. dfcs had to have it to apply for medicaid. are you sure no one has it? that's so odd
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Total Points: 11,104.18
Donate
You're looking for the revised birth certificate, right? I'm in Massachusetts, not CT, but ours took forever, or so it seemed. We finalized in October and weren't able to get his birth certificate until May. Nothing happened to delay it, except state budget cuts. We were told it always takes time. Does the State Vital Statistics Office have any record of it? Is it in the pile waiting to be changed or have they never seen it? If you can't get any answers, any chance you can talk to your state rep's office to get some help? Ours is usually pretty responsive when it comes to bureaucratic red tape stuff like this.

We filed our taxes that year using a TIN (tax ID number) for our son, since we couldn't get him a new social security number without the revised birth certificate. I found out about that on this site. Any chance that would work for you in the meantime?