adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Total Points: 32,406.84
Donate
need advise: tax refund rejected

So I adopted my son at the end of Nov 2011. I was told the adoption worker was going to send for my AS new birth certificate and SS card. I recieved the birth certificate in time to file my taxes. Like everyone else we were put in review due ATC, they excepted that and sent me the funds for the ATC and my regular refund minus the $1000 child credit for my AS. So basically they gave me my ATC for him but didnt count him as a dependent. Silly. So I called the irs, explained I hadnt yet got the new ss card and they fixed it.

So this year I e-file my taxes and they are rejected. I find out that its because his name and social dont match. I look into it and realize I never got his new SS card! Ok, so its totally my fault for forgetting and not following up, but what should I do now? ANY btdt? Can I just enter his pre-adoptive name on my refund? Or will it get flagged since I filed the ATC last year?

I really dont want to wait to file till I get this fixed with the ss office.
Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Hoping to Adopt?
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoptions From The Heart
Building beautiful families through adoption since 1985. A leader in open adoption, AFTH provides services to pregnant women wishing to create an adoption plan and adoptive families seeking to create a family.
Adoptions From The Heart
(800) 355-5500   Fax (610) 642-7938

Old 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Adoptive Mommy
Total Points: 285,237.58
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermommy65
So I adopted my son at the end of Nov 2011. I was told the adoption worker was going to send for my AS new birth certificate and SS card. I recieved the birth certificate in time to file my taxes. Like everyone else we were put in review due ATC, they excepted that and sent me the funds for the ATC and my regular refund minus the $1000 child credit for my AS. So basically they gave me my ATC for him but didnt count him as a dependent. Silly. So I called the irs, explained I hadnt yet got the new ss card and they fixed it.

So this year I e-file my taxes and they are rejected. I find out that its because his name and social dont match. I look into it and realize I never got his new SS card! Ok, so its totally my fault for forgetting and not following up, but what should I do now? ANY btdt? Can I just enter his pre-adoptive name on my refund? Or will it get flagged since I filed the ATC last year?

I really dont want to wait to file till I get this fixed with the ss office.

I'm sorry...but, odds are, it's best to get his new card taken care of and re file with that. It is also possible that when you go for the new card, they will give him a NEW number as well...and that would mess you up even further! It's messy...but, it would only make it messier to try to ad lib now!

me, 44 DH 54 (not each others first spouse)
First batch of kids(aka his and mine), 16 ,19 ,21 ,22 ,23 , and 29 Decided we wanted a family of our own together!

First Placement:
7/11/11

Sugarbear
Final outcome: birthparents relinquished on July 5, 2012.
They are OURS! November 17th, 2012!!

Second Placement
11/18/11
Sweet Pea...
Goal Adoption by us!
3/28/12
Bmom relinquished

5/2012 Paternity now established
7/01/12 caseworker filed TPR on dad
9/19/12 Dad relinquished

They are OURS! November 17th, 2012!!

http://amiraculousmess.com

Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM
mom
Total Points: 180,312.16
Donate
I had that exact thing happen. After spending forever on the phone, we had to get the new SS then respond to the rejection..

my DH managed it so my verbage could be wrong, but ours didn't get settled until June that year

If you want to keep your memories, you first have to live them. Bob Dylan
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Total Points: 67,119.73
Donate
If you go in with the paperwork, you should have a social security number almost immediately as long as there is already a Birth Certificate. Make sure that you request that the SS# be changed so that it is one no one else knows. I know that with my DD, I needed hers and went in and had it in a few minutes.

My Adopted Kiddos took a few months because the SS office had to wait for their birth certificates to be issued.

Mom to:

8 yr DD, Ladybug
7 yr old AS, Munchkin
5 yr old AD, Itty Bit
5 yr old AD, Little Bit
3 yr old AS, Bear
Adopted our children 06/2012!!!

Closed our home in 2014.

Previous Placements:
Previous Respites: 4 4
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Total Points: 18,689.28
Donate
The same thing happened to us but it was years ago so no ATC was involved. We just resubmitted with his old name and actually did that for a couple of years before FINALLY getting the SS# and name change fixed.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Forever Mommy To Chubbs
Total Points: 467,083.73
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kezs
If you go in with the paperwork, you should have a social security number almost immediately as long as there is already a Birth Certificate. Make sure that you request that the SS# be changed so that it is one no one else knows. I know that with my DD, I needed hers and went in and had it in a few minutes.

My Adopted Kiddos took a few months because the SS office had to wait for their birth certificates to be issued.

I had the same experience. They gave me a paper with his new SS on it right away until I got the actual card in the mail a few weeks later.
AS Chubbs

Current Placement:
Mr. Blue Eyes - 8 months older than AS - goal: Adoption By Me!/Concurrent Reunification/Family Custody - Who the H knows????

Former Placements:
Princess and her sis Monkey - 2 years
Respite: Big Sis and Lil Sis - 10 days
****************************************************************************************
Old 02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Total Points: 2,268.81
Donate
Yes this happened to me, but thankfully we caught it before filing! Do NOT put his previous name, you will have way more problems! Just go in to a SS office and request a name change. There was a problem with my AS's birth cert so we had to wait 2 months, but they said it usually only takes a couple weeks to get his new card. Then re-file taxes.

Momma to:
AS Monkey (5)

-Finalized first foster-adoption 5/3/2011
-Moved across the country, and ready to start again!
- Finally decided on legally free state adoption! Starting HS 7/2014

Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Total Points: 74,600.16
Donate
Sent you a pm.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Total Points: 32,406.84
Donate
Thanks for the advice, but I still don't know which I should do...lol! For those of you that used the old last name, did it hold up our return? That is kinda what I was leaning toward doing. But I definatly do not want to wait even longer for my refund.

I guess I could just go to that social security office and see how long it will take to get the new info, I don't think I need a new number, I had him since 4 weeks and the bios never had the number, his cw was the one who filed for the card.

Just Breath - I never recieved a PM from you. Can you try again?

Thanks again
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Total Points: 46,381.68
Donate
Two years ago, it happened to us. We filed our taxes before we changed our daughter's name with Social Security. I put the new name with the old number when we filed. We got a letter in the mail that our return was on hold because the name-number didn't match. I called the number on the letter and the woman at the IRS changed the name on the return to the old one, and released the hold. It took about five minutes. She told me that we should have used the old name until we got it changed with SS.
AS - 3 (Placed at 26 months old)