Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Total Points: 19,616.76
Donate
Foster kids and WIC

Do foster kids automatically get wic? I didn't know that but the placement worker (left a message) casually saying he was going to bring some paper work over and something I needed for WIC?

I tried calling him back but he didn't answer.

3 bio kids-
11 yr old
8 yr old
7 yr old

Started GPS classes Jan 31, 2012
1st Homestudy March 30, 2012
Finished GPS Classes April 3, 2012
2nd Homestudy May 22, 2012
License June 20, 2012

First Placement July 12, 2012
FS 5
FS 4
FD 22 months
Adoption Information
Hoping to Adopt?
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoptions From The Heart
Building beautiful families through adoption since 1985. A leader in open adoption, AFTH provides services to pregnant women wishing to create an adoption plan and adoptive families seeking to create a family.
Adoptions From The Heart
(800) 355-5500   Fax (610) 642-7938

Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Total Points: 140,484.37
Donate
We didn't get told about it; someone I know who used to foster told me to ask about it. When I asked the caseworker on my first placement, she was noncommittal and didn't encourage anything. Then I asked my licensing worker and she said to call the WIC office, which I did. Turns out, I don't need to go through the caseworker at all for it (and most things other than what's actually coming from the state). I just made and appointment with the office closest to me and took the child and his paperwork with me.

I don't know if it's different for different states, but here every foster child is eligible, although the amount you get is based on the stipend you receive.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Forever Mommy To Chubbs
Total Points: 479,199.35
Donate
In OH they do. I also was not told about this when I had the girls, but was told when I got my son because he was on special formula that costs 150$ a month.
AS Chubbs

Current Placement:
Mr. Blue Eyes - 8 months older than AS - goal: Adoption By Me!/Concurrent Reunification/Family Custody - Who the H knows????

Former Placements:
Princess and her sis Monkey - 2 years
Respite: Big Sis and Lil Sis - 10 days
****************************************************************************************
Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Total Points: 20,180.46
Donate
I'm pretty sure they automatically qualify.
Depending on the age of your child/your financial situation it may or may not be worth it.
At least here you have to go to the WIC office every 3 mos for nutrition counseling and to pick up WIC checks-- during business hours. You have to shop at a grocery store that accepts WIC- which is not one that I usually shop at.
It's more worth it for formula which is expensive- for me less worth it for toddlers/preschoolers.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Middle-Aged Member
Total Points: 7,174.95
Donate
Yes in Florida all foster kids under 5 are eligible for WIC, and they told us that in MAPP class. All I did was take my placement form to the health department the very next day after I got a placement, and they gave me my first set of WIC checks. It doesn't matter how much the monthly stipend is, its the same amount for everyone. Next month when I go to re-certify they said I have to have the child with me for that visit.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Total Points: 71,581.21
Donate
My sw didn't know that they do but the WIC office lady said all foster children under 5 qualify for WIC they get their own card separate from you bio children (if they were getting WIC) so they can take it home with them or to their next placement and also because they are their own household. Sibling will share a card. All you need is their placement letter but they also like it if you have the shot records as well.
(BS)Moose, 3
(AD) Dainty Little Princess aka DLP, 2
Licensed foster parents 12/11
The Angel, 5 yrs moved to adoptive home YAY
Socialite, 5 removed to a foster home better suited to her needs
SnuggleBug, 1 yr went to aunt
SweetiePie, 4 month r/ued
4 Brighteyes and 2 Ferdinand the Bull r/u with family
Giggles, 3 moved to new ff to be closer to dad and r/u
Dainty Little Princess, (2) placed at 18 months, adopted Jan 15th.
Emergency placement of 3 Smiles and 15 month old Bug went home with Dad and Grandpa and sounds like an awesome situation
Curly 2 r/ued
waiting...
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Total Points: 262,112.45
Donate
Yes. All foster children in CA up to the age of 5 get WIC. You should have been provided with docs to take with the kiddos to the WIC office to get started on the coupons.

WIC is great if you have an actual WIC store in your area to go to. I hate using the coupons in the regular grocery store...people stare and don't like to wait in line behind you.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Foster/Adoptive Dad
Total Points: 48,653.79
Donate
in MT we have had some on it and others not. At first I told the sw that I really didn't want it but they insisted since the boys already had it.

In the end it was cool though, we ended up getting lots of random stuff like bagged beans and tortilla shells, which we used to make funner foods for them.

We ended up getting looked at by everyone regardless, R was autistic so would insite interesting little tidbits into shopping, and the boys were Native with dark skin and we are a blonde haired white couple. I never really felt like the WIC checks made us stand out much, it was always the other stuff.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Just a mom

Total Points: 171,268.94
Donate
It is a federally funded program, and while some agencies seem to have issues with the idea of "double dipping" into the monies and programs, the WIC program, like the Free and Reduced Price Lunch Program are there to be used by anyone who needs it--and fks qualify.

You will use the amount of subsidy as your child's income. They do not need to know about your income. The kids will qualify if they meet the age requirement.

I don't know what the use of WIC does for your county, but i do know that an increased percentage of free and reduced lunch participants can help schools qualify for different federal programs that bring money into the schools that enrich all kids.

The help is there. I say use it.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Total Points: 43,893.84
Donate
yes they do qualify. All i needed was her placement paperwork and her medicaid number. I didnt need anything from the cws to set it up and they didnt seem to care if I did it or not but it was a huge help with formula.
July - goal changed from concurrent to adoption!

TPR set for October - no tpr but parents relinquished!!!
Adoption set for April 2013

Closing our home and enjoying our little girl!

April 2014 - paper chase to reopen our home with new agency!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 AM
thinkpink
Total Points: 30,475.12
Donate
In Texas 5 and under get it. I took Miss Smiley in and an hour later dhe had it. It's just like a debit card here and every large grocery store accepts it.
Licensed 5/25/12

[color="Blue"]Current kiddos[/]
No more kids!!!

[color="DarkOrchid"]Past placements[/COLOR
Miss Giggles (10) 10/11/12-11/14/12 then 11/15/12-1/15/13
Curley-Sue (4 yrs) 10/11/12-01/09/13
Miss Giggles and Curley-Sue 9/26-10/3/12 judge sent them home
Mr. No and Miss Cutie Pie 8/21-22/12 went to another home. We are girls only.
Miss Smiley (4 mos) 7/17/12-8/10/12 went to aunt & uncle
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Total Points: 97,789.16
Donate
In my area all foster kids get it. The sw does not make a referral just set an appointment and they will weigh & measure the kid. They will ask for an iron check from the doctor. You just need the paper work that you are the fp.

Current placement:

Little Dude

23 foster kiddo's and counting...
Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Total Points: 6,152.48
Donate
FD was automatically qualified for WIC. SW notified the WIC office and they called me to make the first appt. I showed them a letter stating that she was in DHHS care and living with us. That was it.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM
FosterCare-is-a-Calling
Total Points: 196,789.82
Donate
Yes they get it, but it's no fun going in to get the checks when you are close to 40 and everyone else is 19-23. HA! Thankfully I don't look close to 40 but they sure do make me feel like it, lol.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM
FosterCare-is-a-Calling
Total Points: 196,789.82
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbuckle17
in MT we have had some on it and others not. At first I told the sw that I really didn't want it but they insisted since the boys already had it.

In the end it was cool though, we ended up getting lots of random stuff like bagged beans and tortilla shells, which we used to make funner foods for them.

We ended up getting looked at by everyone regardless, R was autistic so would insite interesting little tidbits into shopping, and the boys were Native with dark skin and we are a blonde haired white couple. I never really felt like the WIC checks made us stand out much, it was always the other stuff.

This is the other part of WIC that makes me feel uncomfortable. If it didn't help so much I'd bypass it. Last time I went @ 6:30 AM to try to avoid ''people''' but I still encountered a young impatient gentlemen behind me that puffed his way over to the next aisle. I also admit, it is a bit of a ''pride'' issue for me!