JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Premium Member
Total Points: 172,005.91
Donate
How long to continue play therapy?

My nephew (FS) is 4 and has been in play therapy for six months. The reason he started going was due to behaviors exhibited after visits with mom went to unsupervised. However, shortly after starting therapy, visits went back to fully supervised and the behaviors disappeared quickly.

I continued taking him anyway because I thought we could work on other behavior problems, but so far nothing has changed. The therapist is a very nice lady but I just don't think this is doing any good. I don't mind taking my time to bring him, I just wonder if I'm wasting her time and the state's money (since he's on Medicaid).

At what point do you decide it's not working and stop? In another thread someone had mentioned play therapy not doing any good, I was wondering if that was common or not.

Also, we are in the middle of the TPR trial and it will resume on May 15th. I am wondering if I should keep bringing him at least until TPR so that he can talk about it with the therapist if they do terminate mom's rights. I have no idea how he'll react.

(btw, the therapy was not court-ordered, it's something I can continue at my discretion.)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Total Points: 29,908.39
Donate
It depends on the therapy goals. Do you just want to do therapy to work on behavior issues? Or do you want to do therapy to help the child process what he's been through?

My FKs are much older - 11 and 13 - so we don't do "play therapy" but there therapist takes them places they enjoy, versus sitting in an office and expecting them to talk. She often plays tennis with my FS and takes FD to her favorite fast food place. I don't know that it has helped much with behavior, but it's been a good support for both them and me.

If you don't like the therapist's approach, consider trying a new one, but realize too that it takes a long time for kids to open up in therapy sometimes. Changing just because progress isn't happening fast enough can really set you back. I definitely wouldn't quit because of worries it's wasting the therapist's time or taxpayer's money. The therapist is getting paid and should know when to end therapy, and appropriate therapy for a kid who has been abused or neglected is a good use of taxpayer money in my opinion. It doesn't matter if it doesn't yield immediate behavioral changes; it's about his long-term emotional well-being.

Last edited by stimulus : 04-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:08 PM
"OFM"
Total Points: 106,656.28
Donate
go to less frequently, guided by therapist

go to less and less frequenlyt and perhaps to not at all.

Something else may crop up and if this has worked in the past , you can always start again.