Family Forums
Parenting Forums
Pregnancy Forums
Unplanned Pregnancy
Adoption Forums
Fertility Forums

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Total Points: 2,929.03
Donate
Transport drivers...AHHH....!!!!

Does anyone else have trouble with transport drivers and them knowing.....well actually NOT knowing or caring about the car seat LAWS?!?!?

So frustrating....you would think that they would be aware and be expected to follow the law for putting kids in an appropriate car seat....in order to keep them safe.

I am tired of having to loan mine out because they don't bring the adequate car seats needed. Worries me that I won't get them back. It has happened more then once now. I just have to be the one to put them in the car and buckle them up myself to ensure they are safe.

Ok...I'm done ranting now...Just think that they ought to know and follow the safety laws...!
Adoption Information
Domestic Adoption?
Virginia
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Total Points: 85,979.70
Donate
I have never used them. I can't imagine putting any of my placements in the car with a stranger. I know some counties make you use them, luckily ours doesn't. I would tell the social workers that if transport person do not show up with the proper carseats then the children will not leave with them and there will be no visit.
4 year old sassy and beautiful daughter (adopted by us! 3/10/2011)
Super Baby S 11/11 - 12/11 RU with dad
Baby C 12/11- 2/12 RU with grma
Sweet Baby S 2/12 RU with auntie
munchkin D 2/20
over 70 kiddies in the last 7 years! Whew!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Total Points: 144,694.99
Donate
Our area doesn't use transport drivers...but they do have car seats around the office if they have to pick up kids on the fly. One day I was waiting around for my FS to be done with a visit and I asked the person supervising the visit "you don't actually use these seats do you?" He said "of course we do, why?" I said "because most if not all of them are expired." The one I picked up to show him the expiration date had been EXPIRED in 1998!

The next week when I came to get my FS he said "you know we had to get rid of 10 car seats because none of us knew they expired. We only have 2 left."

Children born to another woman call me “Mom.” The magnitude of that tragedy and the depth of that privilege are not lost on me. ~ Jody Landers
Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Donate
*Sigh...I feel like such a nag....but its not like its my rule....its the flippin LAW! I was very tempted to just say "Sorry, they can't go then...but had 4 big brown eyes looking at me excited for their family visit and didn't wanna be the heart breaker. So I let the driver use my car seat. I have emailed their case worker again so I hope they can educate their transport drivers as to what the current laws are!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpactingLives
Our area doesn't use transport drivers...but they do have car seats around the office if they have to pick up kids on the fly. One day I was waiting around for my FS to be done with a visit and I asked the person supervising the visit "you don't actually use these seats do you?" He said "of course we do, why?" I said "because most if not all of them are expired." The one I picked up to show him the expiration date had been EXPIRED in 1998!

The next week when I came to get my FS he said "you know we had to get rid of 10 car seats because none of us knew they expired. We only have 2 left."

OMG....That is ridiculous!!! And scary!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Total Points: 12,595.63
Donate
[quote=The next week when I came to get my FS he said "you know we had to get rid of 10 car seats because none of us knew they expired. We only have 2 left."[/QUOTE]
I'm a first time mom. Where is the experation date. I can't seem to find it. I have an Eddie Baur car seat that I bought gently used when we were preparing to be foster parents
Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM
"OFM"
Total Points: 106,370.28
Donate
Wink don't they borrow yours?

AK2006, Do they expect to borrow your's regularly? I guess that is a discussion for you and your agency. There are two options.

1- Transport company keeps the 3 basic carseats and the manuals in their vehicle. (They install before they pick up, since carseats can take up to 30 minutes to install. ) Con: you'd be tempted to monitor what they use. (Is it forward facing too soon, too small, too old, nasty smelling?)

2- You ask the transport company to get to your home early and you install your perfect fitting, downy-smelling carseat in their vehicle. Think of the transport company as your Great Aunt Mortisha who can barely see, let alone install a carseat.

Last edited by OhioFosterMom : 04-12-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
"OFM"
Donate
depends on the carseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeettt
I'm a first time mom. Where is the experation date. I can't seem to find it. I have an Eddie Baur car seat that I bought gently used when we were preparing to be foster parents

Look for the sticker with the manufacture date. Yiiiiikes! Mine has a manufactured date of 12/02 ! (good thing I never put my niece in it!!) I'm pretty sure they aren't good for 9 years! thanks fosterpeeps!

Last edited by OhioFosterMom : 04-12-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM
"OFM"
Donate
CPS using old expired carseats?

Impacting Lives, CPS using carseats inappropriately? This is sad if it's true. It's nice that you had that team atmosphere and were able to help. Were they receptive to your comment? Where I live in Ohio, the licensing workers don't pay much attention to what carseat the BFs & FPs have, one way or the other. They just want you to have one and use it.

Last edited by OhioFosterMom : 04-12-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Adoptive Mommy
Total Points: 263,452.48
Donate
Hmmm...when our transport drivers come...they are also the visit supervisor...and we send our FK's in their own personal carseat(that we bought) but, then again..they bring them back in the same seat...never had a problem. I just assumed this is the kids car seat...they have a couple car seats for older kids, I think...these are the infant carrier/seats...maybe that's why it never came up. I even loaned them a stroller to take my FS back and forth through the parking lot in because he is really heavy to carry in his seat now. It has always just been an assumed thing here...hmmmm....

(corrected spelling)

me, 44 DH 54 (not each others first spouse)
First batch of kids(aka his and mine), 16 ,19 ,21 ,22 ,23 , and 29 Decided we wanted a family of our own together!

First Placement:
7/11/11

Sugarbear
Final outcome: birthparents relinquished on July 5, 2012.
They are OURS! November 17th, 2012!!

Second Placement
11/18/11
Sweet Pea...
Goal Adoption by us!
3/28/12
Bmom relinquished

5/2012 Paternity now established
7/01/12 caseworker filed TPR on dad
9/19/12 Dad relinquished

They are OURS! November 17th, 2012!!

http://amiraculousmess.com

Old 04-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Total Points: 62,388.96
Donate
Had the same issue! Transporter was the visitation supervisor as well. We met at a local parking lot in a nearby town so she would not know where I lived so it would not slip out to bmom! First visit day, she showed up in an OLD car with no latch system, smelled like smoke, and carseat barely fit rear facing. Had to use a locking clip. I am a certified carseat installer and I could not get it in her car properly! I didn't let her take her. We rescheduled the visit and I transported until TPR occurred!

Previously Foster Mom to AD 1/2 Sister Brown Eyes (6 months old).
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Total Points: 144,694.99
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioFosterMom
Impacting Lives, CPS using carseats inappropriately? This is sad if it's true. It's nice that you had that team atmosphere and were able to help. Were they receptive to your comment? Where I live in Ohio, the licensing workers don't pay much attention to what carseat the BFs & FPs have, one way or the other. They just want you to have one and use it.

Yes, I actually was just making an offhanded comment (I had assumed that the seats were used for trainings, not actually for kids)...but then he seemed surprised so I showed him the dates on the seat. I was really surprised when I found out the next week they destroyed the expired seats.

Children born to another woman call me “Mom.” The magnitude of that tragedy and the depth of that privilege are not lost on me. ~ Jody Landers
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Donate
The transport driver seemed surprised that they even needed to be in a car seat at all! I told her that they aren't old enough yet and at least need to be in, at very least a booster seat.
Sheesh....!
OhioFosterMom, Since I do NOT see option 1 happening...I'm gonna have to go with option 2!!
The case worker was also concerned when I let her know the situation and offered to leave 2 of the agency's booster seats here at my house for the transport drivers to use if they do not have adequate seats available! So nice to have a supporting worker

Thanks for letting me vent everyone! Just want all my kiddos to be safe!!!
Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Total Points: 5,715.52
Donate
Interesting NYT article re: "expired" car seats

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/11/bu...=1&oref=slogin
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Total Points: 76,550.19
Donate
Our DCS SW drove AD (then 6) home to get AS (then 2) one day for a visit. AD was sitting in the front seat! When DH brought out AS, he asked where the carseat was, she said she would get one out of the trunk - a no back booster! DH told her that she could either use our carseat and the booster for AD (then 6) or the kids would not be going with her. And that AD would sit in the back. SW was fuming. Ultimately she took the kids, but really? A 2 year old in a no back booster and a 6 year old in the front seat?!?!?!
AS6 arrived Sept 2009 at age 2
TPR process started 9/12, granted 1/24/12, signed 2/9/12, adoption finalized 4/2/12

Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have. (Rabbi Hyman Schachtel)