Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 04-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Total Points: 24,968.25
Donate
Babywearing for Attachment?

I just heard of babywearing this week. Wow! I wish I would have done this with our neglected 8-month-old. I can see where it would have helped him so much.

Have any of you used this method for attachment?
Removed link to promote blog
@Foster2Forever

Mom to 3 Boys

Son (born '07) - Placed at 8 months (foster) & adopted in 2009 at 2 years

Son (born '09) - Placed at 3 months (foster) & adopted in 2011 at 2 years

Stepson (born 1992) - Adopted at birth through private adoption

Foster Mom
4 girls that have moved on...
Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Domestic Adoption?
Virginia
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Total Points: 4,870.77
Donate
I used this with my bio son and plan to with any fosters I get! It is great and really does help you bond. I really like Dr. Sears and his methods they make sense unlike those from the cry it out era...

Mom to:
Bd 18yo just started college
Bs4 1/2 waiting for baby brother or sister or both

1/2/2012 hs finished
Waiting on final approval for legal risk or straight adoption for 1 or 2 kids ages 0-5...........
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Total Points: 40,147.16
Donate
Did it with both bios, to some extent, and with most of our foster babies as well. Definitely a good idea for all babies, but especially at-risk kiddos.

ETA: I like Dr. Sears generally--The Baby Book is still my go-to reference--but re-reading some of it lately ten years after first encountering it, I see it a lot differently. For those of us who truly can't do certain things for our foster kiddos (breastfeeding being the major one), some of the way he writes seems judgmental and unhelpful. Woe to you if you go to The Baby Book looking for help on formula-feeding or helping overcome lack of appropriate attachment! If I were a first-time parent to one of these foster babies, I would find his attitude annoying and insensitive. Semi-surprising given that some of his own children are adopted.

Former Placements: Little Miss This 2yo 4/10 - 7/11 (adopted by g'parents) CooCoo Pigeon 4mo (RU'd) The Brave Babydoll 5mo (moved w/sib) The SuperModel Diva Baby 6mo (RU'd)

Respites: Bonus Baby 19mo The Mini Melonball 0mo preemie Baby MacGyver & The Sweet Potato Pie 10mo twin FloJo 3yo & The Tipsy Teacup 2yo The Loaner Baby 12mo

Last edited by MamaPenny : 04-06-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Total Points: 61,779.43
Donate
Yes, I used this for my STBAD who was unattached to anyone when she was placed at 9 1/2 months. She is now a Mamas girl. For my toddlers, I just put them on my hip as much as possible. All my foster kiddos (4) have healed tremendously and I credit the baby wearing for making it easier.

I had to use my baby carrier to survive the first months with my twins. I still use it a lot now that they are 14 months old. I put one in the carrier & was able to hold the other as well. I just got a second had moby wrap. My Infantino carrier has become difficult to use for any length of time. Its starting to hurt my back.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Total Points: 35,466.96
Donate
Wee are a babywearing family. I love to wear my babies! It is important to research a good carrier.

Our Current Time Line:
5/19/11-Foster Care Orientation Meeting
5/25/11-Completed 1st Application Packet
6/09/11-1st Home Visit
6/10/11-Fingerprinting Completed
6/16/11-Completed 2nd Application Packet
7/06/11-2nd Home Visit
7/08/11-3rd Home Visit
7/09/11 - 8/6/11 PRIDE Classes
7/14/11-4th Home Visit
8/2/11-5th Home Visit
8/8/11 - LW issued license!

Current Placements:
05/09/12~ Monkey Boy ~ 6 days old ~Goal: adoption by us pending TPR
11/22/13 ~ Miss Dimples ~ 3.5 mos ~Goal: moving to relative home; waiting for ICPC

Former Placements:
03/08/12-03/15/12~Baby A 2.5 mos old. Moved to another relative home.

Respite for "Dora" numerous weeks Summer 2013 ~ 2 yr old
Old 04-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Proud Mama
Total Points: 141,108.35
Donate
I wore my DD all the time as an infant, and plan to do so with any foster babies we may get.

I started out with the Baby Bjorn, but it KILLED my back. I researched and ended up getting an Ergo, and absolutely adore it. I also just recently bought a Moby carrier on sale, so I am excited to try it out.

I agree with a PP, Dr. Sears is okay, but a lot of his advice is restrictive. But as with all parenting books, I take what is helpful, and leave the rest...which is good since I have a book shelf filled with those books.

DD 3
Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Total Points: 55,677.58
Donate
We baby wear too.. more out of the need for hands free movement, but the added attachment benefits are a huge plus!! I have the moby wrap and the seven slings. I love my moby for all age groups, but adore the seven slings for hip wearing my AS (it takes off sooo much weight).

My Story, My Blog: Hurdles of Life, Love & Family

TTC #1 since 5/07 - Diagnosed with Cervical Stenosis
** 1 Clomid Cycle, 3 Natural IUIs, 2 injectables IUIs = All BFNs; IVF/ICSI & FET = Both BFN **

"And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me." ~ Matthew 18:5

Licensed!! = July '10
Placements:
July/August '10

Baby Boy 12 wks old (Adopted by Us!!)
Little Girl 2 yrs (Adopted by Us!!)
Big Girl 4 yrs (Adopted by Us!!)
August '11 = TPR
December '11:
Baby Boy (19 mos) ~ Adoption Finalized
Little Girl & Big Girl ~ Legal Risk Adoptive Placements
March '12
Mr. Man 6 mos.
Little Miss 2 yrs
August '12 = Little Girl (4 yrs) & Big Girl (6 yrs) ~ Adoption Finalized
December '12 = Mr. Man (11 mos) & Little Miss (3 yrs) ~ Goal Change to TPR
Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Total Points: 58,479.72
Donate
We baby wear. We love our Beco carrier and Moby wrap!
"MoMo" -8 sweet, compassionate & speech pathologist in the making
"The Boys" - 4 two little fighters who love to eat and are proving doctors wrong! Adopted 6/27/11
Tatertot - 2: Crazy wildman who loves to be the center of attention and Elmo. Adopted 9/18/13

Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Total Points: 1,151.50
Donate
I babywear all of my fosters. My AD came at 6mos having been in the hospital her whole life, so she wasn't attached to anyone. I wore her as much as we could stand it and she was attached in no time I wear Squishy and Bug a lot, too. Bug is FTT so I think it's extra important for him. Bear is way too heavy to wear, but I put him on my hip a lot.

Current Placements:
Squishy, 6mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (1mo post-open heart surgery) * Jan'12-Present Goal: RU, likely changing to Concurrent soon
STBAS ~ Sugar Bear, 2 1/2yr old, Autistic, SPD, Dev. Delayed * 08'10-01'12~Kinship Placement & 03'12-Present Goal: Adoption by ME!
STBAS ~ Love Bug, 8mos old, FTT, Bear's Baby Brother * 04'12-Present Goal: Adoption by ME!

Past Placements:
Angel * 01'12-03'12 Moved to Hospital Care
Bunny * 12'10-01'12 Moved to another FH
Joy AKA Josie * 03'10-12'11 Adopted by me 12'11
Buddy * 02'10-12'10 Kinship Placement
Muffin * 12'09-08'10 RU
Licensed 12'09
Old 04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Total Points: 167,900.40
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPenny
ETA: I like Dr. Sears generally--The Baby Book is still my go-to reference--but re-reading some of it lately ten years after first encountering it, I see it a lot differently. For those of us who truly can't do certain things for our foster kiddos (breastfeeding being the major one), some of the way he writes seems judgmental and unhelpful. Woe to you if you go to The Baby Book looking for help on formula-feeding or helping overcome lack of appropriate attachment! If I were a first-time parent to one of these foster babies, I would find his attitude annoying and insensitive. Semi-surprising given that some of his own children are adopted.

I felt that way, too. I remember reading one of his books that had a list of the signs of attachment disorder in the midst of a discussion about the importance of baby wearing, co-sleeping and breast feeding. It left a bad taste in my mouth because of the implication that a loved and nurtured baby was going to be attachment disordered if you didn't do those things.

But, Dr. Sears aside, I loved wearing my son and I think it was really important for helping him attach after we brought him home. It was also a fantastic way to run a quick errand with a cranky toddler. (He was pretty tolerant when he was on my back.) And it was wonderful for our outings together, because he could walk and explore and I could follow him unencumbered by a stroller - and then I could put him on my back when his legs got tired. I could also chat with him as we walked, which I could never do when he faced away from me in a stroller. But I agree with Quilter that a good carrier is important.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Total Points: 6,156.56
Donate
I'm a babywearing educator and I have a business that rents and sells carriers, so needless to say I'm a HUGE fan of babywearing for attachment! As others said, it's very important to research which carriers to use, as well as how to use them safely.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Daydream Believer
Total Points: 61,974.70
Donate
Wore my bios in a sling as well as the other infants I've had charge of.

Only word of warning is that if you haven't worn a baby in a while and start out with a 22 lb one year old, you may end up at the chiropractor's like me.

When you get them as newborns you have a chance to work up to the heavier weights, but starting with a bigger baby/toddler doesn't give you time to build up--I learned the hard way. So if you aren't starting out with a teeny one, build up gradually and don't overdo in the beginning.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Total Points: 18,773.39
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperminty
Only word of warning is that if you haven't worn a baby in a while and start out with a 22 lb one year old, you may end up at the chiropractor's like me.

Yes this happened to me too! I ended up with major neck pain and stiffness for over a week and still had 2 babies and 2 toddlers to care for Ack!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:04 AM
Total Points: 1,151.50
Donate
This still happens to me! Right now my right shoulder and left side of my neck are killing me. It's because I'm wearing one of the kids most of the day, I just take turns between them.

Current Placements:
Squishy, 6mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (1mo post-open heart surgery) * Jan'12-Present Goal: RU, likely changing to Concurrent soon
STBAS ~ Sugar Bear, 2 1/2yr old, Autistic, SPD, Dev. Delayed * 08'10-01'12~Kinship Placement & 03'12-Present Goal: Adoption by ME!
STBAS ~ Love Bug, 8mos old, FTT, Bear's Baby Brother * 04'12-Present Goal: Adoption by ME!

Past Placements:
Angel * 01'12-03'12 Moved to Hospital Care
Bunny * 12'10-01'12 Moved to another FH
Joy AKA Josie * 03'10-12'11 Adopted by me 12'11
Buddy * 02'10-12'10 Kinship Placement
Muffin * 12'09-08'10 RU
Licensed 12'09
Old 04-07-2012, 01:34 PM
"OFM"
Total Points: 119,541.93
Donate
I did

I did, but not more than 45 minutes/day. (Didn't want to create back issues) We bonded great!

My friend does it with her medically fragile baby A LOT! (They say that even without prior neglect, medically fragile babes benefit if medical devices had make it impossible for them to be held close when they are newborns/infants. )

Last edited by OhioFosterMom : 04-07-2012 at 01:37 PM.