Family Forums
Parenting Forums
Pregnancy Forums
Unplanned Pregnancy
Adoption Forums
Fertility Forums

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Total Points: 36,894.16
Donate
Addicted/Exposed Babies and "Lazy"/Wandering Eyes???

BB Kiddo, 4 mos old, is starting to develop (or we are starting to notice) a slightly lazy eye. It is most noticeable when I have come in close to her--like to kiss her cheek--and as I pull back, one eye is turned outward. She can focus nicely straight ahead, tracks objects normally, etc.

I know of other children whose moms are/were addicts, who have similar issues with their eyes. Has anyone heard for sure that this is common to NAS kiddos? I'm going bring it up with BBK's pediatrician, obviously, it just got me curious about whether this is just another of the panoply of symptoms these kiddos tend to end up with.

Former Placements: Little Miss This 2yo 4/10 - 7/11 (adopted by g'parents) CooCoo Pigeon 4mo (RU'd) The Brave Babydoll 5mo (moved w/sib) The SuperModel Diva Baby 6mo (RU'd)

Respites: Bonus Baby 19mo The Mini Melonball 0mo preemie Baby MacGyver & The Sweet Potato Pie 10mo twin FloJo 3yo & The Tipsy Teacup 2yo The Loaner Baby 12mo

Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Total Points: 9,262.50
Donate
I never thought it was drug related but my boy has a lazy eye as well. We fitted him with glasses but it has been a challenge to keep them on an active toddler, now young boy. His b-mom was a drug/alcohol mom.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Mommy to "The Queen"
Total Points: 132,022.72
Donate
The Queen was born drug exposed & she had one eye that pointed outwards. I was concerned but it corrected itself around 14 or 15 months of age. The doctor didn't seem too concerned about it. She said let's just wait & see.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Total Points: 52,740.99
Donate
we have a 3 mo old fd that seems to have the same problem, although it has gotten better in the last month or so I am still occasionally seeing it. doctor and foster care home nurse are not concerned yet, they also said lets wait and see.

Recieved our license 10/5/11
Mrs. President 10/12/11 - adopted 9/11/12
Current foster: Princess Tiana Smeagol
Former: 1 3
Old 01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Forever Mommy To Chubbs
Total Points: 413,236.25
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPenny
BB Kiddo, 4 mos old, is starting to develop (or we are starting to notice) a slightly lazy eye. It is most noticeable when I have come in close to her--like to kiss her cheek--and as I pull back, one eye is turned outward. She can focus nicely straight ahead, tracks objects normally, etc.

I know of other children whose moms are/were addicts, who have similar issues with their eyes. Has anyone heard for sure that this is common to NAS kiddos? I'm going bring it up with BBK's pediatrician, obviously, it just got me curious about whether this is just another of the panoply of symptoms these kiddos tend to end up with.

Yes, eye wandering is watched very closely with these babies. In the class I took in June, we discussed this and 4 months was the average time when this started. The child will likely need some Early Intervention. Has she been evaluated yet? We did the first one for Chubbs at 3 months and should be doing another one here in a month or so. As I recall, it is correctable with therapy. Worse cases could be as toddlers when they might need glasses.
AS Chubbs

Current Placement:
Mr. Blue Eyes - 8 months older than AS - goal: RU or relative placement

Former Placements:
Princess and her sis Monkey - 2 years
Respite: Big Sis and Lil Sis - 10 days
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Total Points: 9,449.95
Donate
While in this instance it may be related to drug exposure, lazy eye (anisometropia is the medical term) can often be something that occurs in any child! My BD had lazy eye as a preschooler which was corrected thru patch therapy and glasses. She's 14 now and has no issues. The vision in that eye is not quite 20/20, but not enough to need glasses (maybe a contact or glasses when she starts driving if she wants). Sometimes it's genetic, we do have a family history of it, so we weren't terribly surpised that one of our birth children had it.

It was not fun doing the patch therapy, but there are lots of cute patches that can be found on-line! Sometimes other eye exercises are done, just depends on the situation.

Definitely take the child to a pediatric ophthalmologist rather just an optometrist. I am quite amazed with what they can do if you get it diagnosed and treated early! Most of the time, they make a complete "recovery" from it!

DH of 16 years
BD 15
BS 13
AS 3
AD 1

4 previous placements
"Loved you yesterday, love you still, always have, always will."

Licensed 4/2010
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Total Points: 3,638.12
Donate
Our daughter tested positive for meth and marijuana at birth. DD first started having eye issues around age 14 months or so, when we started noticing that both eyes were not always tracking together. She was diagnosed with "hypertropia" which is when the eye's muscle strength is uneven.

DD had minor eye surgery on her right eye in December, 2011, which then highlighted her need to have the left eye corrected as well, and that surgery occurred last week. She may need further "fine tuning" surgeries, but her doctor stated "we will continue until her eyes are completed corrected."

Although eye muscles issues can happen to any child, DD's doctor did state that various eye issues are very prevalent among children prenatally exposed to drugs such as meth, etc.

Our Foster/Adoption Journey:
1/12/10 - Decide to Recertify for Foster Adoption after a failed attempt in 2008
4/12/10 - Fully licensed
4/21/10 - Placed with Baby Girl at 12 days old
3/4/11 - TPR granted
11/1/11 - FINALIZED!!!! We are a family of 4!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Total Points: 36,894.16
Donate
Very interesting! Our BB Kiddo's seemingly wandering eye has not been evident for quite a while; seems to have self-corrected. Something I will keep watching for, but haven't seen it for quite a while now.

Former Placements: Little Miss This 2yo 4/10 - 7/11 (adopted by g'parents) CooCoo Pigeon 4mo (RU'd) The Brave Babydoll 5mo (moved w/sib) The SuperModel Diva Baby 6mo (RU'd)

Respites: Bonus Baby 19mo The Mini Melonball 0mo preemie Baby MacGyver & The Sweet Potato Pie 10mo twin FloJo 3yo & The Tipsy Teacup 2yo The Loaner Baby 12mo

Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Forever Mommy To Chubbs
Total Points: 413,236.25
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPenny

Yes, it is. I learned that in my class in June. It is good that you caught it so that you can intervene quickly. Is she having monthly visits with pediatrician and regular updates with neo natal doctor? Both should catch that in their exams as well. Chubbs took a little bit longer to start tracking so they kept an eye on him.
AS Chubbs

Current Placement:
Mr. Blue Eyes - 8 months older than AS - goal: RU or relative placement

Former Placements:
Princess and her sis Monkey - 2 years
Respite: Big Sis and Lil Sis - 10 days
Old 03-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Total Points: 111,655.56
Donate
There is a woman from church who has a teenager she adopted as an infant who was prenatally exposed to a whole myriad of drugs, she has said the only side effects her son has ever had has been his lazy eye (he still has eye issues as a teen).
Mr. Monk, 7
Angelina Ballerina, 6
Xena Warrior Princess, 3 (Granted guardianship January 2012!)

Coming soon?? Relative private adoption. Baby boy born Jan 29. Mom can't make up her mind

PAST KIDDOS
Teddy Bear, infant: October 2011-Feburary 2012 Went to relatives, sad for us but happy for them!
Ash, 12 and Pikachu, 10 (5/2012-1/2013)Adopted by an out-of-state family!
Marley, 4 Prince 3 and Queenie, 1 (6/2013-1/2014) Moved to grandma

RESPITE
17 yo boy
12 yo girl 8 yo boy, 5 yo boy
14 yo girl, 10 yo girl and 6 yo boy (sibs to Ash and Pikachu!)
15 yo girl
3 yo boy
12 yo twin boys
15 yo and her 16 mos old twin girls
2 yo girl and 1 yo boy
5 yo boy, 2 yo boy
Licensed June 24, 2011