Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 PM
dtmckel dtmckel is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 31
Total Points: 13,596.03
Social Security number for foster child

We have had one of our foster kiddos since June18...the day after he was born. I asked the caseworker back in November for a copy of his ss# and birth certificate. As of today, they still do not have his birth certificate and they do not know whether or not he has a ss#. We were needing his ss# to file our taxes. Is there any way that I can find out (other than the caseworker) if he has a ss# or not? In my past experience, I filled out the info for all my bio kids ss# at the hospital and it was then mailed to me. I am wondering if the parents filled out the form and the card was mailed to them. This caseworker is in no hurry to get the documents to me. Any help here would be very much appreciated!
home study-2/22/08
received license-4-7-08

mom to

BS:J-19, BD:J-18, BD-10, BD:J-2

FS:T-3 arrived 4-21-08
Waiting to adopt!
File moving to adoption unit 10-28-09

FS: K - 16 months arrived 6-18-08
Voluntary Relinquishment 9-22-09
File moving to adoption unit 10-28=09
Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2009, 06:35 AM
mamallama mamallama is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 614
Total Points: 55,788.50
You should be able to go the social security office to get the number (not a card). They'll give you a print out saying this social security number belongs to this child. Usually you need three forms of ID for the child proving age, identity and citizenship. Something like that. A shot record, your placement agreement, and a medicaid card should work. Bring whatever else you have just in case. A letter from your social worker on official letterhead stating that you have permission and listing all her contact info might be helpful too.

You can find the closest location here:
Mama Llama
Happily married to Mr. Llama for 17 years
Momma to:
Eeyore (12), Buggy (11), Ella Bella (6) and Libby Loo (5)
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 AM
greenrobin's Avatar
greenrobin greenrobin is offline
Just a mom

Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,956
Total Points: 181,491.91
Just a suggestion about the forms of ID.

My school age kids' SScards were lost when my purse was stolen. We took school records and birth certificates to the office. The worker there told us that birth certificates were only proof that the child was BORN, not that this was WHO he was.

We had big old hoops to jump through to get new cards issued.

I'd call the local office first to find out what they will and won't accept before going over there to do the inevitable wait. Maybe your office will be a little more reasonable than my office!
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:36 AM
msgypsylee's Avatar
msgypsylee msgypsylee is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 381
Total Points: 49,278.38
I had to do this last year for my then FS. All I needed was a letter from his working stating I was his foster mother and photo ID. They gave me the number but not a card.
Approved and Liscensed--March 2007
Placed with 10 month old--Mid 2007--foster/adopt---Goal-Adoption
Birth parents terminated their rights--March 08
Adoption completed on Natl Adoption Day 2008

New FD place May 08---RU'd with mom March 09

I thought I was done but I'm getting back on the active list next month.

Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Withay's Avatar
Withay Withay is offline
I'm Just Me

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,518
Total Points: 39,947,977,858,833.55
I have been able to get a fc ss# from the person who issues the medical cards. She is the one who gets all that info when a child comes into care. Just an idea.

Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments,
because you know they produce quarrels.

2 Timothy 2:23

Mom to:
AS - S
AS - N

Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM
ranoutofnames's Avatar
ranoutofnames ranoutofnames is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,052
Total Points: 71,272.24
I've done the same as Withay.... call whoever takes care of the Medicaid card and they should be able to help you out.
With the same amazing man for 18yrs

Mom to a wild and crazy bunch:
Adopted - A1 - 12 yrs (adopted Oct 2005)
Adopted - A2 - 8 yrs (adopted Dec 2006)
Biological - T - 4 yr (born Jul 2008)

Total of 104 foster children and 4 foreign exchange students at last count.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
vegaschristina's Avatar
vegaschristina vegaschristina is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 897
Total Points: 59,138.90
They have a new policy in Vegas regarding SS#. You can only get the number if you have a letter from your accountant with proof that you've spent more than $7K on the child (which is well over what the stipend is).

Luckily, we got our munchkins' numbers about 2 weeks before this policy went into effect.
Finally, just a mom

Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Robbiesmomma's Avatar
Robbiesmomma Robbiesmomma is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 58
Total Points: 1,277.39
I would say if the case worker isn't giving it out, you should go to her supervisor and continue up the chain until you get it. You may have to specify that it is for your taxes. You could also contact your state foster parent association for help.
I had to do this this month as the case worker had not filed for one on a child I had in my home. I finally got an answer when I sent certified letters to the CW, Supervisor, Area Administrator, Regional administrator and the State Ombudsman's office.
It just boiled down to it not being high priority for the case worker and she needed a push to get it done. I mean he's only been in care a year.

As far as getting the number, the agency's should release it as it is FEDERAL tax law that says you can claim the child if you meet the Federal requirements.
Any agency that says that you can't claim the child on your Federal taxes would be suspect to me since they are then giving you tax advice for which they are not qualified to do. That's up to you and your accountant. As far as how much you contributed out of your own pocket, that means test was done away with a few years ago and the stipend is not considered part of the child's income as is is not reflected on their Social Security number, if the case worker has gotten them one.
I am going to qualify this with the fact that I am not a tax professional, just a foster Mom who has taken some classes and does her own taxes. All of this tax stuff can be answered by the National Foster Parent Association, whether you are a member of not. They have a handbook you can download for free. They are also great about answering your tax questions.
I think if you can claim your foster kids, you should. I know that it's great to have the extra money to pay for the extras like outdoor equipment or fun outings that these kids deserve.
Take care,
Mom to
DS R, 9
FS "C" 4

Last edited by Robbiesmomma : 02-09-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Reply With Quote

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Points Per Thread View: 1.00
Points Per Thread: 15.00
Points Per Reply: 5.00

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54 PM.