adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Total Points: 77,234.00
Donate
babysitting: does your state pay for it?

does anybody know if the states pay for babysitting, say like you need to go out on a date with your hubby cuz all you have been doing is going out with the kids at CICI's pizza, Chuck e cheese, and need a break out??

Foster/adopted daughter- Brittney 22yr.

Private adopted son -Tyler 3yr.

Foster/adopted Daugher 8 yrs., Zoey
Foster/adopted Son 7 yrs. Romeo : rolleyes:
Current placements:,
Foster daughter "Baby K" 2 month old
Foster daughter "Alley baby" 2 yr. old
Foster son "Blua Blua" 2.5 yr

And we have helped:

Previous placements = 3
Previous respite = 2
Adoption Information
Adoption Confererence
Click here to visit Adoptive Parents Committee
Adoptive Parents Committee 33rd Annual Adoption Conference: Sunday, Nov. 24, 2013 St. Francis College, Brooklyn, NY 75 Workshops/50 Exhibitors/Bookstore Register Online or call (212)304-8497
Adoptive Parents Committee
(212) 304-8479  

Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 AM
Total Points: 4,404.49
Donate
Here in Iowa, they only pay for if you are working outside of your home. Whatever you want to do in you free time is at your own expense. If you need more than a few hour break, them you might want to look at having respite done.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Total Points: 56,959.54
Donate
Here in Fl, they pay for daycare but not like a regular babysitting service, it's all at your own expense.

In a previous thread, I discussed that you should befriend another foster parent and you guys can exchange babysitting service at no charge. You babysit all their kids for a couple of ours so that you can have a date night and do the same for them. I think 1-2x a month is sufficient.

Bio Mom to:
Mr. Don Juan - The Ladies Man

Foster Mom:
Mr. Baby Don King - placed 8/08 - R/U

Former Foster Mom and Dad to:
Mr. Investigator - 8/07-5/08 - Moved to therapeutic (Miss him greatly)
Mr. Home Run Hitter - 5/08 - Moved to relative
Ms. Puff-Balls - 5/08 - Moved to relative
Ms. Pumkin - 6/08 - Back to Dad
Mr. El Gato - placed 6/08-7/08 - To a not so good choice non-relative
Ms. Beautiful Angel - 8/08 - Home, Came back into care 10/08, Went to another foster home.
Mr. Baby Stewie - 07/08 - 8/08 - Went back Home
Mr. Peabody - 10/08 - 12/08 - Disrupted - Went back to previous FP for adoption
Mr. Touchy - placed 8/07-02/09 - Had moved to another FH, because of my personal issues , hoping that one day I can get him back. I love him, more than I have words...
Old 04-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Just a mom

Total Points: 164,660.00
Donate
In TX we are eligible for funds for daycare if we both work outside of the home.

Babysitting isn't considered a necessity.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Total Points: 10,114.45
Donate
In KY they pay for daycare if you both work FT, but not babysitting. I started another thread regarding respite care...you might want to check it out. FYI-In our MAPP class we got everyone's name and number to buddy with for babysitting....
Bio Son - 10
Started Mapp Classes - 3/1/08
Completed Mapp Classes - 4/12/08
Homestudy (1) - 5/2/08
Homestudy (2) - ?????
Homestudy Approved -

Old 08-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Total Points: 26,213.39
Donate
Here in California, they don't even pay for daycare for working foster parents. I wish they did because daycare alone is going to cost me about $400 per month more than the fostercare payment.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Total Points: 109,448.99
Donate
Here in MO. We are allowed respite for a weekend at no cost to us. If we just want/need a babysitter for a few hours for a date night then we have to pay for it out of our pockets.

I also recommend Befriending another foster parent that you can trade off with..
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM
The Grumpy One
Total Points: 3,658,171.59
Donate
In CA they used to have respite hours provided and paid by the state. In San Diego County anyway. But you don't have to have a licensed, probed, and fingerprinted person to babysit for a few hours. I think they call it 'prudent parenting' where they trust you to pick a decent person to watch the kids for a bit. In FL they do not pay for babysitting at all - except for day care when fp's are working. They do provide respite in 24 hr blocks. Where ever the fk spends the night - that is who gets the board funds for that day. But, in FL, the babysitter you pay for out of the child's board rate has to be a fingerprinted, approved person - in your home only. In Oregon, they do not provide respite at all - except for day care (I believe - but I don't work outside the home - so I wouldn't qualify anyhow - LOL) It all comes out of your boarding funds. And Oregon also practices prudent parenting rules with a few guidelines as to age (like I would leave 2 infants with a 10 year old - hahaa) and numer of consectutive hours and number of children allowed (the caregivers kids + foster kids cannot equal more than 7 or more than 2 under 2).

Many fp's are networking and getting to know each other via the Foster Parent Associations.

Good luck on your date. I is so very important to keep your marriage on track. When the kids go - it will still be there!

"To every thing there is a season,

and a time for every purpose under the heaven..." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Total Points: 8,672.31
Donate
In AL they pay for daycare if you both work FT, and I believe you also get a weekend of respite every 6 months. I've not arranged respite through DHR though - I have a friend who does respite, and I just arrange it separately with her whenever we need a night off.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Total Points: 260.68
Donate
In some states if you are working outside the home then they will pay for it. if you are at home want a baby sitter then just hire a private experience baby sitter.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:41 AM
FosterCare-is-a-Calling
Total Points: 185,902.82
Donate
You could use your respite hours. I know most people think of respite when it's an overnight or vacation. However, when hubby and I had to attend 6 hr training, they found another licensed couple to do respite those hours and paid them. The sad thing is (for others doing hourly respite) it's only a buck and change an hr.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:58 AM
Total Points: 33,698.45
Donate
Here, any respite comes out of our reimbursement. We have not needed to use respite at this point.

For babysitting, I just assumed that is the type of thing the reimbursement is for.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Total Points: 892,845,174.54
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubutterflies03
does anybody know if the states pay for babysitting, say like you need to go out on a date with your hubby cuz all you have been doing is going out with the kids at CICI's pizza, Chuck e cheese, and need a break out??

I've never heard of cps paying for babysitters for date nights. Most states/agencies have respite for when you need a break. I guess they expect you to use that. Maybe send the kids to respite for a weekend so you can take a break?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Total Points: 15,071.64
Donate
They pay for daycare, since we both work.

They do not pay for babysitting. We have hired a sitter to transport to visits, gotten her cleared. We pay her with some of the money from their board checks.

If we want a sitter for our own relaxation, I've used my mom, or other friends we have cleared with the agency. Or we can use their already cleared sitter, it just hasn't been necessary.
First Placement: October 2012
Current Placement: Serious and Sassy, 2 and 3 yr old sisters. Came to us October 2012, plan is for RU.

Blog: themomsmustbecrazy.tumblr.com
Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Total Points: 184,272.90
Donate
Here is CA you get $900 a month plus a separate clothing allowance per child. So, if you are a SAHP then you can use some of that for babysitting. However, if you work you'd be lucky if that covered daycare.

12/2012 Got the call for twin girls, age three
8/2013 Got the call for a boy, age 15 months

Currently on the list for a girl, 0-6, any race

1 bio
08/2013-present- Adopted 4/2014

Not in our home, but in our hearts - Twin A and B, age five 12/12-11/13