Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Total Points: 372,423,552.94
Donate
Well, I'm in Canada so what is available is totally different (I'd love the free lunches!), but I DEFINITELY claim everything to which my son is entitled! I don't consider it grasping at all -the way I look at it is that every penny I can save, I have extra to provide for him with. It's tough enough to make ends meet for most foster parents - especially if they've had to quit working or cut down on their hours (as I did) to meet the needs of the children.
Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Hoping to Adopt?
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoptions From The Heart
Building beautiful families through adoption since 1985. A leader in open adoption, AFTH provides services to pregnant women wishing to create an adoption plan and adoptive families seeking to create a family.
Adoptions From The Heart
(800) 355-5500   Fax (610) 642-7938

Old 09-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Total Points: 131,464.09
Donate
I do have WIC for our baby b/c the formula is sooooo expensive! However, it only gives me 9 cans which he goes through before the month is even half over!! The other 3 kiddos are 3, 4, and 5. The 3 and 4 yr old could qualify, but it is sooooo hard to get an appt at our WIC offices and we didn't HAVE to sign them up. Its not worth the hassle...they are soooooo limited on the brands you can buy....so I'd rather just buy the stuff on my own.

Our life http://la-mama-loca.blogspot.com

Trying to Raise Bilingual kids http://talkconmigo.blogspot.com
Old 09-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Total Points: 97,687.77
Donate
Yes I do both! My fs just turned five, so WIC is done. He is half day kindergarten, so no lunches. In the past, I did free lunch, but let the child decide of they wanted to pack. One little girl had never been able to pack, since she always have free lunches with both Mom and other foster families. She was so happy to pack!
Fostering for 4 years - 8 kids total
Maryland
Old 09-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Total Points: 229.71
Donate
You should use it!!!!

You should always try to get signed up with WIC. As with any federal funded program, if they don't use the funds they will lose the funds for next year. I just had our fs in for a visit to WIC and she was saying something about when he turns two and I said we won't qualify because he will be adopted. But, as someone else pointed out, as long as they continue to get medicaid they are eligible for WIC. My husband feels a little uncomfortable accepting it but every little bit helps and like I said, if they don't use it the government will find something else to spend it on next year
Old 09-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Striving to be/do better.
Total Points: 30,199.12
Donate
I do use WIC

A fellow foster mom suggested I get WIC for my 2 and 4 year old foster kids. It doesn't save a great deal, but I figured that if they are entitled to it I might as well get it. I must admit I am a bit embarrassed when paying a the supermarket, I feel that people are staring at me (which they are probably not), but I am sure I'll get over it.

Biological mother to:
RR
JJ

09/09/11 - Decided to pursue pvt/independent domestic infant adoption. Hoping to find our little girl

Former foster-mother to:
"Dy" 1/19/09 - 3/3/09
"Daysi" 12/04/06 - 09/09/08
D and S 7/06 - 2/07
...and many other temp and emergency placements.

03/03/09 - Done fostering.

Glad to have been strong enough to foster, hoping to be blessed to adopt!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:16 PM
F/A Mommy to 4 kids
Total Points: 21,521.91
Donate
for our xFS we used the free breakfasts/lunches... I was going to sign up for WIC but it was too much of a pain in the butt.....I guess I could of used for both FDs but have choose not to.....

DD-5yo...Ours FOREVER & EVER...
DS-4yo...Ours FOREVER & EVER...
DD-3yo...Ours FOREVER & EVER...
DS-2yo... Ours FOREVER & EVER...
Old 09-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Total Points: 23,017.05
Donate
Yes, I got WIC for C after CHRISTINA (Gregorysparents) got on my butt and called and harrassed me until I went in there. LOL. I had been waiting for the cw to get me the paperwork I needed for it, and I wasn't really pushing them to get it to me until Christina lit a firecracker under me, then I got it done. It really does help every month. We get 10 cans of formula, which is about $170 worth. I say do it, or Christina will haunt you!!!!!!!

DS: 1 YEAR OLD!!! , By miracle of adoption, Finalized 9/8/06
Old 09-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Total Points: 282,498.04
Donate
Well, I used my first voucher!

I got 4 half gallons of lactose-free milk, 2 boxes of cereal, eggs, and 2 juices - so saved about $25 this time. Not bad! And I am glad to get Kayla off of soy and onto cow milk.

Mama to S and J 7/09 through the wonderful gift of embryo donation. Not sure what my future holds in the foster care world!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Total Points: 34,608.59
Donate
I accessed both WIC and free lunches for our foster children...the stipend for foster care is not very high and by accessing these services it frees up more money to meet their other needs.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:57 PM
The ZOO keeper!
Total Points: 402,465.15
Donate
My kids have been on WIC since they were born. I used it the entire time they were foster kids...the formula, later cereals and milk...you can always use the help. Because they receive medicade even after they are adopted, they still qualify for the WIC program. We actually use more milk than they provide checks for during the month, so it is well worth it.

Kaiter-Bug...step daughter
Boo-Bear...step daughter
Bug-a-boo...3 year old A-son...adopted 12/30/05
Koda-Bear...3 year old A-son...adopted 6/2/06
Old 09-08-2006, 08:30 PM
l'amour de ma vie
Total Points: 21,698.42
Donate
Our SW said that we should get WIC. If the kids wouldn't have stayed with us they'd be already signed up. So we do get WIC.

I did sign up for free lunches because it's about $65 a month PER CHILD!
Old 09-13-2006, 04:36 AM
Total Points: 881.90
Donate
Interesting, I think this is a great resource. Although, our foster/pre adopt parents in WDC are receiving $1600-$1800/month/child. I would hope that they did not use these much needed resources, I would rather those resources be used by families that are in dire need of them.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 AM
The Grumpy One
Total Points: 3,658,651.59
Donate
Talking

I think board rates are calculated with ALL available program benefits in mind. These programs are supposed to be beneficial for the child. They are not fringe benefits or perks!! The small amount of money alloted for thier needs goes much further if you take the time and effort to apply for the programs for them. The money is just as well used for clothing, rec items, snacks etc. These children are entitled to the programs. They qualify by definition - being a foster child or elegible for medicaid automatically qualifies them.

One of the first things I do with a new placement is to shop for clothing, a personal animal, and sign up for WIC. Even when they leave to go to adoptive parents or another foster home, the WIC is still good - the "new" parents just need to take the checks to the office and get them "reissued". If you don't send the checks with the child - no checks can be issued until those have expired. But, don't EVER send the ID card with them. The WIC office will issue ID cards and attach the check numbers to the new card. I'm going into all of this because I just learned it - after 5 years of fostering!

It isn't as tho' you are spending food stamps for New Yorks!

"To every thing there is a season,

and a time for every purpose under the heaven..." Ecclesiastes 3:1
Old 09-13-2006, 06:16 AM
The Grumpy One
Total Points: 3,658,651.59
Donate
To BuddaMLT - I'm moving to WDC!! Where is that??? I know board rates vary but I didn't think it was by that much!!!

In Florida we get 11.64 per day for each child under 5. That amounts to 349.20 for a 31 day month. It goes up as the child ages - in 4 or 5 year increments. During the "shelter period" it is $15 per day - no matter the age of the child or what they brought with them. That's why the WIC and Lunches make a difference here.

AND they do need it!!

"To every thing there is a season,

and a time for every purpose under the heaven..." Ecclesiastes 3:1
Old 09-13-2006, 06:34 AM
Total Points: 282,498.04
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddaMLT
Interesting, I think this is a great resource. Although, our foster/pre adopt parents in WDC are receiving $1600-$1800/month/child. I would hope that they did not use these much needed resources, I would rather those resources be used by families that are in dire need of them.

Wow - that is a generous stipend - mine is about half that, which is why I was not 100% comfortable with accepting WIC. But the savings can go to purchasing more developmentally challenging toys for the little one - I need to beef up my toy collection.
Mama to S and J 7/09 through the wonderful gift of embryo donation. Not sure what my future holds in the foster care world!

Last edited by ~*Max*~ : 09-13-2006 at 06:43 AM.