JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Mis razones de ser....
Total Points: 40,909.44
Donate
Exclamation Eligibility for Head Start???

Hello all! I usually post on the Guatemala forum because I have 2 kiddos from there, but I just finalized our foster adoption and I have a question for everyone on here!

Does anyone have any experience with applying for Head Start? I know that they have several requirements and things that they look at to qualify children for Head Start...We wouldn't qualify by our income because it is too high....but isn't it true that in some states foster children and former foster children are eliglible based on that alone?

Our adoption worker told us that we would want to apply to HS BEFORE finalizing so that they could recognize her as a foster child, but we didn't get the necessary paperwork in time to finish the application. I remember reading somewhere that former foster childeren qualify too....Does anyone have an experience that they can share?

Thank you!!!

DD Guatemala
Paper chase 8/06
Home 12/18/07

DD U.S.A.
Paper chase 04/07
Home 11/26/07
Lots of delays, waiting, phone calls, emails
Filing petition 10/08
Foster/Adoption finalized 4/09/09
Adoption Information
Looking to Adopt?
Washington
Click here to visit WACAP
Since 1976, WACAP has placed over 10,000 children into loving adoptive homes and provided humanitarian aid to more than 200,000 children worldwide.
WACAP
(800) 732-1887   Fax (206) 575-4148

Old 04-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Mis razones de ser....
Total Points: 40,909.44
Donate
Bumping up....Anyone??

DD Guatemala
Paper chase 8/06
Home 12/18/07

DD U.S.A.
Paper chase 04/07
Home 11/26/07
Lots of delays, waiting, phone calls, emails
Filing petition 10/08
Foster/Adoption finalized 4/09/09
Old 04-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Total Points: 65,807.69
Donate
In our experience Head Start is primarily an income based program. The children receive points for things like being a foster child, having an IEP, parent in jail, family mental history. Now that you are finalized I would assume that these are now questions that would be directed to your family....you might be able to use mental/physical health needs of bio parents because that is something that is genetic but otherwise I don't think that you will get the foster child points because he isn't a foster child any longer.

This is just my opinion and my experience. I would still call and speak with the intake adviser. HS is a great program and they do keep a wait list and sometimes will even serve children over the income guidelines...I believe up to a third of their spots can be filled by children meeting other requirements other then income.

Good luck
17 yrold

Adoption Classes 09/21/07
Application submitted 09/26/07
Licensed 01/01/08

Matched 01/25/08
current ages:
6 yr old Home at 2yrs
8 yr old Home at 3 yrs
9 yr old Home at 4 yrs
Came home July 12, 2008
Finalized Sept 30, 2009!

Matched 02/05/09:
current ages:
4 yr old Home at 11m
7 yr old Home at 3 yrs
11 yr old Home at 7 yrs
Came home Feb. 5, 2009
Finalized June 24, 2010

Application submitted 10/27/2011
Waiting for completed homestudy and match

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much."

"The barriers of biology cannot be made to go away -- but they can be climbed over."
Old 04-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Total Points: 286,104.55
Donate
Our son was a fc and is only going to be 2 in June, but I also thought HS was for low income kids. Through EI he will be going to prek several days a week at age 3 through the school district. Have you looked into that?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Total Points: 4,335.49
Donate
Yes, Headstart is based alot on income but a child can also get in if there is/are other issues that the child has. One little girl I know will be going this fall due to poor speech. She goes to a speech therapist and that person gives a referral saying that more schooling would benefit her. Another child got in because she was in it at 3 yrs of ago due to income but by the time she turned 4, the parents were over income but the class is supposed to be so many 3 yr old and so many 4's. They did not have any other children apply that were 4, so since she had previously been in, then she got to go again. You might want to see if your Area Education Agency ir whatever you have, will do an evaluation on your child. If they see any delays at all, then they can give you a referral. Here, to attend the special preK program,for 3-5 yr olds, you must be behind in at least two different developemental areas (such as large motor skills and speech). If they qualfy for that, the school must provide services as they will get an IEP plan. Just have to check around and see what all your options might be.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Total Points: 6,095.24
Donate
It may depend on other services in your area and your state as well. In Texas, for the most part, the head starts use the income guidelines though many foster children can attend. But, foster children and those adopted from foster care are most often eligible for the school districts Pre-K programs.

My Blog