adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 10-31-2008, 06:51 PM

Total Points: 482,592,964.64
Donate
We are headed down to meet our son in TWO WEEKS!!!! Of course, we can't bring him home yet, but it will just be great to be there and see him
Domestic Adoption?
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 11-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Moving Forward
Total Points: 116,492.74
Donate
Congratulations athikers! I'm sure you are so excited and can't wait!! Have they discussed a visit/placement schedule yet? WONDERFUL NEWS!!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Total Points: 2,981.61
Donate
I wanted to add my congratulations to everyone who has been recently matched.

We're foster adopt licensed through our county this past February. We've sent out our homestudy a ton of times and haven't heard anything back except the very first week we were licensed but that sibling group needed more than we thought we could handle.

The first week of June we got our first non-respite foster placement. She's still with us and a permanent custody hearing is scheduled for Nov 19th. She just turned 2 this month. We were asked shortly after placement if we wanted to adopt and it's a definite yes. There are still a few distant out of state relatives from a list that dad gave that need to be contacted so it's not definite even if permanent custody is approved but adoption is starting to seem more likely.

There have been some posters who said they were working with an agency would you be willing to email me the agency details and states they work with even though we're with the county and it's worked so far I'd love to have more information.

Again congratulations to all the matches. It's so good that these kids will have a permanent home this year.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Total Points: 4,802.88
Donate
Thanks Perfect7 we are counting down the days. Have you had any more news yet about the little boy?

R spent the weekend with us and it was great. She had a few moments of defiance (shopping for clothes for a wedding next weekend) but I was gently firm with her and she responded very well. I'm thinking of taking my son out of school on Friday before we go pick her up for good so we can have a "last day" together.

I have another thing I could use some help on. R is asking if she can keep her last name. I feel very strongly about her taking our last name, mainly because I don't want her bio-family to be able to find her. Her older sister still has contact with her and she is in contact with bio family and it really makes me nervous. Bio Dad is a real bad guy with such convictions as assualt with a deadly weapon on a really long rap sheet. Do you think I could insist with her that it's not an option? I dont want her to resent it but I think its better for her and our family if she does change it. BTW her name is unmatchable, it would be so easy to know its her if they find it.

Info Meeting-Nov. 05
PRIDE Completed-Feb. 06
Licensed-Jan 07
Foster/Adopt

Bio Miracle - J 12yrs old.

Placement Mar 07 (2 days)- 4yrs old J & 5yrs old T - Emergency placement went to Spanish speaking home. Miss them and they are in our prayers.

August 07 - 4yr old K - Failed match K was severe and we were told mild. Level of care beyond our capabilities-she was never placed in our home.

June 08 - 10 yr old R-Placement!!! Coming home on Nov. 10th for good!!
Finalization scheduled for May 15th!!!! Yippie!!

NO MORE WAITING!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Its Crazy, Chaos, Perfect
Total Points: 20,828.40
Donate
Thats a big concern for us as well. We will be changing our little boys name. We are making his first name his middle name & giving him a new first name. I think the same thing, with networking sites & such its very obvious its him & your daughters family can find her fast. But from what you said I would wait a few months. Maybe when she settles in a bit more she will FEEL more like the family & will be more open to changing it. I would let it go for a few months & bring it up closer to the finalization. But you said she talks to her sister who talks to bio dad. So, her older sister would know her new name, even after she changes it because I'm sure she is going to tell her sister he new name. Her sister can always tell her dad. If you still feel strongly about it later, & she won't budge, I would insist for her own safety & security. Something so little, as a school newsletter or website printing her name, for a contest or something & they google & find her. Maybe if you drop it for awhile & respect her decision, she will change her mind. But I would think if you push it now she is going to stand firm & refuse, if she thinks its her decision she might make the right one! But thats just my opinion!
June 19th, 2012 Parental rights are terminated!
January 26, 2012 Brought home our beautiful girls!
December 30, 2011 Officially Waiting!
July 2011 Started Mini Pride
May 2011, Attended Orientation to start all over for a GIRL!
May 22nd 2009, Finalized Tucks adoption!
November 23rd 2008, Brought Tucker home for good!
October 10th, 2008-Matched w/2 year old baby boy "C"!!
February 29th, 2008 Homestudy Approved
August 2007 Started Mini PRIDE
January 2007 Attended Orientation
http://www.crazychaosperfect.blogspot.com
Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Total Points: 77,592.16
Donate
How about doing like many women do when they get married? Just move her last name to middle and then give her your last name. Make sure she uses just the initial for her middle name whenever possible so the old last name doesn't get out.

I would also just wait a while before discussing it again. Give her some time to settle in.

Good luck!
Mom by adoption to Angela (11) adopted from Guatemala at 2.5 yo Referral - 10/25/03 Home - 03/10/04
1/2007 - Preparing to adopt from foster care system.
9/11/07 - Homestudy completed at last!
4/24/08 - Licensed Foster Parents!
2/12 - Still waiting. Hoping we a matched soon with a group in CA.
3/1 - Not matched with CA group.
3/15 - MATCHED with CA group after all Kids are 8, 6, 5
6/17 - Still waiting on ICPC. Bring them home June 23rd for a long visit. They'll stay until July 12th. Then return to us TBD.
8/03/2012 - Home at Last!
1/11/13 - Filed the adoption petition. Should be final in 90 days!
5/9/13 - ICPC hiccup. The wait goes on.
6/5/13 - Problems solved. Papers resubmitted. 6/13/13 - Finalized at last.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Donate
We've thought about that but they are asking us to sign name papers at the placement. I will talk to her again this weekend before the placement on Monday and see how she feels. If she were younger like your little boy it would be easier but she's 10 and being in foster care she's way more mature in the way things work than most kids. Her first name is Reign and I love her name and don't really want to change it. As far as her sister telling bio dad we are insisting on email contact only because sister is still talking to bio parents even though she is in fostercare also. She's 16 so harder to control. Sadly after finalization we're expecting that we will stop communication for R's safety. Her sister is in pretty bad shape and wants them all to be with bio parents again. Not a healthy relationship. Luckily R is tired of the drama and really wants a new family and to be a 10 yr old. Its all so sad.

Mommy have you heard anything about a phone call yet? I'm so excited for you!!! I hope you don't have the freaking out that I did. I had another panic attack this weekend and have realized it's not her its the situation and how overwhelming it all is, I know once things get going it will all come together.

Wohiomom I hope you get your little one in the end, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Info Meeting-Nov. 05
PRIDE Completed-Feb. 06
Licensed-Jan 07
Foster/Adopt

Placement Mar 07 (2 days)- 4yrs old J & 5yrs old T - Emergency placement went to Spanish speaking home. Miss them and they are in our prayers.

August 07 - 4yr old K - Failed match K was severe and we were told mild. Level of care beyond our capabilities-she was never placed in our home.

NO MORE WAITING!!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Donate
Nope, we haven't heard anything. I am just trying to be patient. Working alot to get things wrapped up before I go on leave. Hopefully we do the call this week, So we can go ahead & schedule visits & placement. But we found out the subsidy paperwork needs to be completed before we bring him home. Otherwise he won't get it. So theres a chance we may end up waiting on THAT! I sent it off the day we read his file. So I hope that means it will be completed within a week or so. Im just waiting, maybe if we have our visits scheduleded they can hurry it up a bit. I am a bit nervous but I think what you went thru is nervous. Its so different because this time your child can judge YOU too. Infants don't really do that. But Im really nervous because of course I hope he loves us & we do the right things for him. I am preparing myself for a hard transition & the fact that he is very attached to his foster mother. If it turns out NOT to be that way, all the better.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Moving Forward
Donate
Jenkay, I always use the "we'll see" approach. Ha ha! It's too bad they have to have the papers now for naming. Would they make exceptions, even for a month or so? Mommy2H1, I know you are getting so excited! Are you having a baby shower, buying lots of baby stuff yet? We got pics of our little guy Friday, and he's such a doll with Scandenavian features (from Russia). They are still completing his adoption presentation packet, expected to be this week. Hopefully soon! I'm so scared of another disappointment but staying hopeful. From what we know so far, he would be great and is the same age as my ds (not breaking birth order). Wait, wait, wait. Ha ha!

BD:S-15 Quiet, Reflective Author
BD:H-11 Drama Queen Extraordinaire
BD:R-10 Precocious Diva (Bipolar)
BS:B-8 Overactive Video Gamer
AS:B-8 Overactive Train Conductor (Aspergers, ADHD)
Nephew born Sep 2011 Seeking relative adoption
Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Donate
We had a baby shower last weekend. We had it really quick because we didn't know how fast we would be doing visits & we didn't want to run the chance of having to put off visits because we had planned a baby shower. We've been buying alot. We pretty much have everything, we do need more toys & clothes. We don't know what size he is, I know how big he was at 18M, & based on that he is right between a 2t & a 3t, depending on how much he has grown. So we are waiting for the call to ask what size he needs. But I'm proud of myself, I haven't been going completly crazy nuts. We do have a picture thank goodness. I can't imagine having gone this long without anything, like I know some people have. I have the original picture sent out with the broadcast back in may. But he was 18m then. We are still keeping our fingers crossed for Thanksgiving!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Moving Forward
Donate
That's so exciting! I'll bet you are just thrilled!! If he isn't ready to be "placed" by Thanksgiving, maybe they can let him "visit" until he's placed. Keeping my fingers crossed for your little one to eat turkey with the family!

BD:S-15 Quiet, Reflective Author
BD:H-11 Drama Queen Extraordinaire
BD:R-10 Precocious Diva (Bipolar)
BS:B-8 Overactive Video Gamer
AS:B-8 Overactive Train Conductor (Aspergers, ADHD)
Nephew born Sep 2011 Seeking relative adoption
Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Donate
New drama this morning. R's sister called her last night and they talked without supervision. FM called me and told me about it and said she heard another girl say that R and her sister were going to have a visit this week. She hasnt seen her sister in 5 months and her sister is very against the placement. Also, R now knows where we live and our last name so I now don't know what info her sister now has. All phone calls and visits were supposed to be monitored! We are supposed to get R on Friday and she will have this drama before we come. I cannot stand CPS! This was my biggest fear and its starting before we even get her home where we can protect her and our family. I think this is where my panic attacks have been coming from I'm scared of the things i cant control. I mean how many of us are used to having convicted felons possibly wanting to come to your home to take your child? I'm probably over reacting but well that's how I am...lol

Info Meeting-Nov. 05
PRIDE Completed-Feb. 06
Licensed-Jan 07
Foster/Adopt

NO MORE WAITING!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Donate
WOW, so thats nuts. You are right to be afraid! At this point there isn't much you can do! Its a horrible situation. So the name change thing is kinda pointless! I sure hope that the foster mom understands that a 10 year old shouldn't be allowed to use the phone without supervision, & her safety was jeopardized. I would want to cut off contact after that until she was in your home, that way you can be sure of her security.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Donate
We called CPS and most likely we wont be able to do anything about it if they decide to do a visit. If we do visits when we get her we will be sitting right there with them! However for 6 months we really dont have the final say so on what happens CPS or the judge does. This will be a touchy subject for a while. Bevin tells us that it is normal for them to have a goodbye visit before she moves but these are special circumstances. What I'm afraid of is that the visit isnt scheduled by CPS but that the sister plans to see her without anyone knowing! We are waiting to see what they say but my dh isnt the type to just let things happen to us he will step in and I hope be able to stop this. I thought they were supposed to protect her!

Any news M2NH1??

Info Meeting-Nov. 05
PRIDE Completed-Feb. 06
Licensed-Jan 07
Foster/Adopt

NO MORE WAITING!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Donate
Nope, no news! Still waiting on the phone call. I was hoping we can do visits the weekend before Thanksgiving & into the week of the 24th, that way my nephew doesn't miss any school. But again thats hopefull thinking! I would hope that your daughters foster mom is watching her 24 hours a day & there is no way for her to meet her sister without her knowing! But stranger things have happened.