JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2013, 11:55 PM
Total Points: 2,275.70
Donate
Question newborn care

Hi I'm new here and it is my first time to take care of a newborn. Any tips about newborn care, do's and don'ts, important things I should have.

I am also interested to read about your stories.
Domestic Adoption?
Virginia
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Total Points: 15,600.50
Donate
'The experts' change their minds all the time about newborn care. Personally, I hold them most of the day, let them decide when to eat, and bathe them daily (despite being told that was a no no with our last lol). It is a time of learning about one another, so trust yourself and follow your instincts.

Have fun! Newborns are so much fun!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Total Points: 2,393.95
Donate
We have a 2 week old. It is hard to always know what to do, but what I keep in mind is that your little newborn is a human. You already know how to take care of a human because you are one. I think about what I would be wanting if I were in her shoes. We adopted and our baby is formula fed. This does take a lot of the guess work out because she eats every 3 hours. You can set a clock by her hunger cues.

We are trying to enjoy it and not stress too much. Babies are very adaptable. My favorite advise is "it's not a problem unless it is a problem". In other words if you and your baby are happy, most of the "expert" advise is not that necessary. If you have something you would like to work on or change, then you can reach out for advise and do some research.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Donate
Thank you for the encouragement ladies and yes, i agree "the experts" change their mind from time to time about newborn care.

I am just a little bit excited and anxious especially in bathing my baby, removing those creamy white spots on her, cleaning the cord, etc.

It really feels great to be a mom
Old 05-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Total Points: 40,362.63
Donate
Congrats

We were told no bath until the court fell off..

I also did skin on skin with my 2 babies. I wore tanktops most of the time, so they could snuggle on my chest, smell my skin and hear my heart beat.

placed @ birth, 2 years old
, placed @ birth, 2 years old
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Total Points: 29,959.82
Donate
It's a wonderful life...

First off....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! It can be a little nervewracking before you bring home your sweet itty bitty baby. Here are some things I learned on my own that worked for us:

*Try to make it routine to talk to them from very young on a regular basis. I am a stay at home mom so naturally without anyone else to talk to, I talked to her. Even though they don't understand you; they learn your voice, differences in tone, pick up words early and try to pronouniciate words early by watching your mouth/hearing the words.

*"Experts" say no tv under 2 years old. Well I rebeled and would put on Baby Einstein or Leapfrogs letter factory (the only things that would keep her from crying so I could get through taking a shower without getting anxiety.)

*If I had only known that I didn't need to spend $200 on a fancy baby swing (she turned out hating) or buy every single toy in the baby aisle I could have saved a lot of money. I didn't have a mom to guide me so I thought it was necessary. When they are old enough to actually play with toys, they are entertained by the most random normal inexpensive things.

*They grow really fast so I would raid the clearence aisles at Wal-Mart or stock up on the next size up from a kids consignment shop. Sometimes the next day I would try to put on a outfit and it didn't fit.

Most of all just have fun and enjoy. We love looking back at video's we took of our daughter mostly during her first year. Filling out the baby book soon after the "firsts" happen is another idea so you don't forget to.

Hope these may be able help. Congratulations again and take care!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:25 AM
Donate
Thanks!

Hi Mommies

Thank you very much for the support. I am very happy reading your messages as I am empowered and feel proud of being a new mom.

Yes, I am quite very cautious in my actions because I don't want to harm my baby. I am an only child and never had a chance to take care of babies that's why I am very careful in handling my baby.

I hope you could also give some tips about a good product for babies such as formula milk, etc.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Total Points: 203.91
Donate
Hi

Hi

I am new and say everyone Hi

Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Banned
Total Points: 485.98
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlee
Hi I'm new here and it is my first time to take care of a newborn. Any tips about newborn care, do's and don'ts, important things I should have.

I am also interested to read about your stories.

Taking care of new born is a life time experience. One thing to take care is to not to offer him any water for first three years and only breastfeed the kid as it's the best. Child do sleep a lot and this is good for them and their growth as well. Always be clean on their diapers and make them comfortable.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Total Points: 1,205.49
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie_Colton
Taking care of new born is a life time experience. One thing to take care is to not to offer him any water for first three years and only breastfeed the kid as it's the best. Child do sleep a lot and this is good for them and their growth as well. Always be clean on their diapers and make them comfortable.

Please, please, PLEASE do NOT deprive your child of water until they are 3!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 12:23 AM
Total Points: 203.91
Donate
Taking care your baby means you should always choose good baby care products, it may be baby diapers, baby wipes, bathing soap, baby powder or many other baby products. there are many sites which provide baby care products. so alwary choose carefully.