adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 08-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Total Points: 3,388.81
Donate
Question Antidepressants and China adoption

Hi there! I'm new to the forum and have a quite personal question, but didn't know where else to go for an answer.

Does China permit adoptive candidates on antidepressants (it's for anxiety, not depression, but it is an antidepressant).

Thanks so much in advance!
International Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
International Adoption
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 08-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Banned
Total Points: 17,501.13
Donate
Not to make light of people with clinical depression but the way the referral process is going I think the majority of us are going to be on anti-depressents by the time this process runs its course.
Picked up Keira on Christmas Day 2006
Keira home with Forever Family 1/5/2007
Old 08-25-2006, 04:57 AM
Total Points: 25,040.87
Donate
What I have been told...

Our agency told me it is not a problem. You just need your MD to write a letter that states "taking this medication will not hurt your ability to parent".

We are not yet DCT so I am still a bit worried about what is going to happen in the review room. And there is that nasty rumor that there are more strict guidlines coming

Hope this helps!

Hugs,
Cats: Trinity, Louis & Reggie

Our Kiddos:
3/30/10: Happy B (4 months) 5/22/10: Biological Mom signed consent to adopt
11/01/09: Beauty D (4 years) 6/22/10: Biological Dad signed consent to adopt 7/22/10: Biological Mom signed consent to adopt
8/15/09: Drama (6 years): 10/30/09 Home
9/20/08: King Q (6 months): transitioning home 3/03/09 HOME 6/20/09
8/08/08: Princess P (10 Months): Moved to Grandmas 11/16/08: Back with us 1/27/09: Judge ordered return home 12/22/09 wanting to close the case 6/22/10 5/22/10: Biological Mom signed consent to adopt 7/2010: Biological Dad's rights terminated
7/23/08: Licensed

Old 08-25-2006, 05:00 AM
Total Points: 22,126.12
Donate
I'm wiht Chuck, I ready to get on them now!
Seriously, as long as you get the letter from your doc, it should be okay.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:17 AM
Total Points: 3,388.81
Donate
Thank you all so much, especially for the humor!!! I'm not a wacko and we have 2 biological sons as it is. Matter of fact, the medication HELPS me be a better parent!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Total Points: 7,133.30
Donate
Hi there! I am on anti-depressents, too. My doctor just wrote a letter and we are LID. Our agency said it won't be a problem. I am actually trying to wean but am having trouble. I may just have to stay on them to continue to be a good parent! It has nothing to do with my child or family, but everything to do with my emotions and how I handle the rollercoaster that is our life!

DH Sean
DS Mason (10)
DS Ethan (1)
I-600A & homestudy sent to USCIS 4/10/06
Fingerprinted 4/25/06
Received 171h 6/14/06
DTC 7/7/2006
LID to China 7/14/06
Revised homestudy for domestic adoption 5/2008
Brought home baby boy June 2008!
LOI for dd (4 yrs old) 2/13/2010
PA 3/10/2010
LSC 3/22/2010
Renewed 171h 3/26/2010
Old 08-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Total Points: 6,079.43
Donate
I am also on meds and am LID March 06. My agency and social worker said it won't be a problem but I will feel much better once we have made it through the review room. I truely am a better parent on the meds so I hope all goes well. I will let you know in a few months if we get asked any questions.
Diana
Old 08-30-2006, 05:09 PM
Total Points: 9,984.61
Donate
I totally agree, this is so overwhelming, Wow!!
CWA
DTC July 18 2005
LID July 26 2005
Referral: September 25, 2006
Travel Approval received: October 26, 2006
Consulate Appointment Received: October 30, 2006
WERE LEAVING NOVEMBER 17, 2006
Gotcha Day: November 20, 2006
Home Forever: November 30, 2006
Old 08-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Total Points: 91,472.20
Donate
Americans use mental health services -- counseling AND medication -- very differently from people in the countries from which most Americans adopt.

In the U.S., it is common for otherwise healthy people to seek counseling and/or take medication for issues relating to infertility, job stress, relationship enhancement, and so on.

In many countries overseas, however, people don't use mental health services unless and until they truly are "mentally ill" -- that is, out of touch with reality and unable to function.

As a result, when Americans first begin to adopt from a particular country, the officials in that country are often shocked to receive applications from people who have seen mental health professionals or taken medication. They remind American agencies that they do not allow mentally ill persons to adopt children from their country.

However, over time, they become educated, thanks to the American agencies, about how Americans use mental health services. They come to see that, in the U.S., it is viewed as a good thing to get help for protracted grief after miscarriage, for anxiety about work, for enhancement of a marital relationship, etc. They come to realize that the people who seek help for such things are not "mentally ill".

China, thankfully, has now been placing children with Americans since 1992. It fully understands the difference between taking Prozac after a diagnosis of infertility, or seeing a therapist because of anxiety about speaking in public, and true mental illness.

At least at present, China has no problem with a person who is treated for mild anxiety or depression, using "talk therapy" and/or medication. Many people have adopted while on anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medications.

Other conditions may or may not be approvable. A lot depends on how the conditions are presented in the homestudy report and letters from physicians or therapists.

In general, China doesn't want to see hospitalizations or suicide attempts, although it has occasionally overlooked an episode in the distant past. And it doesn't really want more complex psychiatric diagnoses.

While a few people may have adopted with well-controlled bipolar disorder or similar condition, I suspect that it will become increasingly difficult -- given that China seems to be moving in the direction of greater strictness -- for people with such diagnoses to adopt. However, I don't see China going to the extreme of banning adoption by anyone who has a diagnosis of simple depression or anxiety, well-explained in the homestudy and medical reports.

Sharon
born 10/18/95
adopted 5/5/97
Xiamen (Fujian prov.), China