JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Total Points: 39,962.69
Donate
Baptism issues

DH and I are both baptized/confirmed Catholics from Catholic families. However, when we got married and moved to a new city, we ended up finding a Protestant church that we like and now both attend. I'd like for our son to learn about both faiths, but am wondering if the Catholic church would prohibit this. Is there any chance of having him baptized in the Catholic church? If we are members of a Protestant church, is that against the Catholic church canons for baptism? Would the Catholic church disapprove of him being baptized in both churches and exposed to both denominations?

(As Christians, I think we should all try to get along and work together, but it seems the prevailing attitude of most churches in our area is "if you're not with us, you're against us." Just wondering if this is dictated by church laws.)
Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Domestic Adoption?
Virginia
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Premium Member
Total Points: 28,093,103.68
Donate
How wonderful that you've found a place to worship! I think you'll find that the Catholic church will only acknowledge one baptism, as it is core to the faith. There are a couple of exceptions to this, which the priest or sacramental coordinator could explain. Also, if you present your child for Baptism, it is with the understanding that you will raise the child as a Roman Catholic. Good luck!
September 2008- Homestudy approved, now just WAITING!!
February 2009- Turned down baby-born situation due to several 'red flags'

September 2009- Expectant couple due in February is choosing between us and another couple.
November 2009- It's a match, and it's a BOY!
January 27, 2010- Widget is in our arms at 2 days old, and we are in open communication with his bio family.
October 4, 2010- The adoption is finalized! The 4.5 year journey was well worth it

Last edited by DancinBear63 : 08-13-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Total Points: 28,867.06
Donate
I am happy you have found a faith community to call your own!
I would suggest calling the priest or deacon at the Catholic church and talking to them.
I think Baptism can only happen once though. At baptism (Catholic) you are making a vow to raise your child in the Catholic faith. Now I do not know where they would stand on saying "yes, I will raise my child in the Catholic faith - but also in the Protestant Faith". If you planned on attending both churches on a regular bases, hmmm I wonder what they would say. But if you plan to attend the Protestant church only, I'm sure there would be issues.
I would be very interested in hearing the outcome!
Officially waiting 2nd time Nov 2007...
DD born
July 2008... Finalized January 2009...
Will we be blessed again??? Praying for #3!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned
Total Points: 130,671.44
Donate
I was Southern Baptist when I adopted my child. It was the wish of the foster mother and the attorney that she be baptized Catholic so that if she should die she would go to heaven instead of purgatory. I found a Catholic church that agreed to baptize provided her two godparents were practicing Catholics.
She never attended Catholic church and six years later was re-baptized in the Baptist Church (which does not recognize infant baptism).
Grandmother to Pink Princess (age 5) - She rules my heart!

2006 - Retired from my job, but haven't quit working!
2010 - Back to a job, can't support a family on retirement pay! Laid off after 6 months! Business went under!
2011 - Job hunting!