adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 01-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Total Points: 2,405.59
Donate
Foster parent and working full time

I am in N Cali. I would love to be a foster parent for a baby but I work full time. Can I put the baby in daycare during the day? Do you receive a stipend to cover daycare? Does the county provide a list of acceptable day cares? I'm new to this so I appreciate the help
Looking to Adopt?
New Jersey
Click here to visit Douglas M. Pine, LLC
Douglas Pine represents adoptive families in every county throughout New Jersey. Mr Pine earned his reputation by providing personal attention to every adoption.
Douglas M. Pine, LLC
(973) 748-8887   Fax (973) 748-3999

Old 01-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Total Points: 3,851.52
Donate
I am in S. Cali, so your area might be different, but here is my experience, for what its worth.

I work full time as well, and my FFA (Foster Family Agency) had no hesitation with placing a newborn with us.

When we were placed with our newborn daughter, I took advantage of the California Family Rights Act (CFRA): "The California Family Rights Act (CFRA) (Gov. Code, 12945.2) was established to ensure secure leave rights for the following: ... Placement of a child in the employee's family for adoption or foster care ..."

After the initial 6 weeks family leave, I placed BG in an infant daycare (the same in-home daycare I used for my bio son so many years previously. ) My FFA had certain licensing guidelines for daycare, and this provider was in compliance.

Unfortunately, DCFS does not pay for daycare - the stipend is to be used for any daycare costs. Our stipend did not cover daycare completely (and does not completely cover her preschool costs now) but it does cover the lion's share.

I hope this helps, and feel free to ask any questions.

Our Foster/Adoption Journey:
1/12/10 - Decide to Recertify for Foster Adoption after a failed attempt in 2008
4/12/10 - Fully licensed
4/21/10 - Placed with Baby Girl at 12 days old
3/4/11 - TPR granted
11/1/11 - FINALIZED!!!! We are a family of 4!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Total Points: 7,243.42
Donate
I am also in SoCal. Same EXACT situation as with AmazonianQueen. I also took advantage of the leave. and NO way does the stipend cover day care cost.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Total Points: 18,356.47
Donate
My Dh and I both work full time and our two are in daycare during the week. Unfortunately the State does not pay for daycare; however the stipend normally will cover daycare in certain situations. I was able to find a small licensed homecare facility so we have no out of pocket cost for daycare.

I would reach out to a couple of FFAs and attend a intro class. In S CA, FFA licensing is much faster than the County and you receive better support in the long run.

Good Luck
Old 02-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Total Points: 3,851.52
Donate
I second LotusMama's recommendation for an FFA as we were licensed through a FFA as well. We received amazing support, the SW's were true advocates for both our family and our former FD (now adopted daughter), and although our timeline from placement to adoption was very fast, TPR was scheduled for 4 months earlier, but the Judge had to postpone due to our County SW completely dropping the ball on certain paperwork needed prior to TPR.

Our Foster/Adoption Journey:
1/12/10 - Decide to Recertify for Foster Adoption after a failed attempt in 2008
4/12/10 - Fully licensed
4/21/10 - Placed with Baby Girl at 12 days old
3/4/11 - TPR granted
11/1/11 - FINALIZED!!!! We are a family of 4!

Last edited by Amazonian-Queen : 02-07-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Total Points: 4,347.06
Donate
same here, I took advantage of the PFL (Paid Family Leave) you are allowed 6 weeks- but unfortunately the state does not help with child care.

May 2012 - Orientation
Aug -Sept 2012- PS-MAPP Class
October 10 2012 - Licensed wth CCL
May 2013- First homestudy visit
May 2013- individual interviews
June 2013- waitng for the call from SW letting us know we are approved and ready for placement
July 2013- Aug 2013 -9 mo baby girl - First placement RU w/birthmom
September 2013 -Present- 2nd Placement-Mr. Smiles - Hoping to Adopt

Follow my Journey
http://www.lavidalui.com/category/foster-life
Old 02-18-2014, 02:30 PM
Total Points: 253,578.03
Donate
Hubby and I both work full time and have two placements in full time preschool. We applied for, got on the waiting list and finally got preschool funding. ALL of the preschool costs are paid for by a daycare subsidy program under the YMCA. There's also another subsidy program out there that FPs can use, but I forget what it is called. It requires the CW to fill out one simple form and for you to provide the organization with proof that you work full time.

So, with a little leg work and a bunch of paperwork we were able to get preschool paid for and still have the stipend check to pay for other expenses.

Do a google search in your area for Free daycare or daycare funding. I believe the funds come from the Department of Education.

The way I look at it, these kids are in state's custody and the state needs to pay for them.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Total Points: 59,959.36
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFawn
I am in N Cali. I would love to be a foster parent for a baby but I work full time. Can I put the baby in daycare during the day? Do you receive a stipend to cover daycare? Does the county provide a list of acceptable day cares? I'm new to this so I appreciate the help

Depends on your worker. I'm in S. California and a family within my agency got child care and Dcfs is paying for it. This happened within the last 6 months.

I was called for a baby and was offered child care assistance but because I didn't work outside the home I wasn't able to get assistance.
Classes/Physical/Cpr/Cpi/Tb Test/Fingerprints etc) 8/11
Homestudy 10/11-11/11
Certified 12/11

BD

Current Placements
6/14-Current 6 month old "Doll Baby"
1/14-Current :female 5 yrs "gnome"?
11/13-Current 9 yrs "drama queen"

FORMER PLACEMENTS

We've had 20+ placements. Still waiting for our forever child!