adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Total Points: 2,592.78
Donate
Can I do it myself??

Hello all,

I would appreciate any tips or a vague overview of HOW to adopt from Brazil without an agency. Have any of you gone through it yourself? I am pretty competent with deadlines and paperwork and organization, and would prefer to handle the adoption myself instead of going through an agency. Any info on working with CEJA or Brazil adoptions in general is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dani
International Adoption Information
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
International Adoption
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Banned
Total Points: 133,814.44
Donate
Are you extremely fluent in Portuguese?
Grandmother to Pink Princess (age 5) - She rules my heart!

2006 - Retired from my job, but haven't quit working!
2010 - Back to a job, can't support a family on retirement pay! Laid off after 6 months! Business went under!
2011 - Job hunting!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Total Points: 90,144.67
Donate
Remember that Brazil, like the U.S., has ratified the Hague Convention on intercountry adoption, a treaty that is designed to protect children, their birthparents, and their adoptive families from fraudulent and unethical practices. In general, countries that have ratified the Hague are not supportive of independent adoption, because, historically, that is where such practices were most likely to be found. You will almost always have to work through a licensed, Hague-accredited agency to complete an adoption from these countries.

Sharon
born 10/18/95
adopted 5/5/97
Xiamen (Fujian prov.), China
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Total Points: 7,552.56
Donate
If you arent a brazilian citizen it is unlikely you would even be able to adopt from brazil at this time. There is a pretty long waitlist for their domestic programs, and a lengthy process to get children released from parental custody from their foster care system. Children able to be adopted are generally over the age of 5, or special needs. CEJA has a list of families waiting to adopt younger children, and they would only go to international after this. Most children are matched in the country.

We are currently pursuing adoption there, and expect the wait to be approx 2 years for a 0-3 year old. We are also brazilian citizens, with a home in the country, and live in both places, so we are dual domiciled, which makes this possible for us.

There currently are NO hague accredited US agencies in Brazil, and without these you cannot even adopt from there at all.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 AM
Total Points: 1,837.01
Donate
hi it is usually very difficult to adopt from Brazil outside the country. There are No legitimate companies who have access inside the countries. Adoption is free but infants normally have Brazilian preference.

Hope this helps. I adopted from Brazil 8 years ago but we were living in the country.