Family Forums
Parenting Forums
Pregnancy Forums
Unplanned Pregnancy
Adoption Forums
Fertility Forums

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 02-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Total Points: 16,626.00
Donate
French School

I just wanted to encourage anyone interested in their children being bi-lingual to send them to school in the less dominant language. I am a native English speaker and speak English at home ( my French is too poor) and my husband is a native French speaker and speaks French to the children and English to me. Although we have read books in both languages, my older son's French was not as strong as his English ( even though my dh is a stay at home dad). We enrolled my son in French school at age 3 and he is now 4. His French is now better than his English. He translates for his French Grandmother when she is visiting. He can switch back and forth with ease and he sounds like a native speaker in both languages. Its made such a difference. Since English is just so dominant everywhere, TV adds etc., its hard for the second language to compete. School has really made the difference and it was the best decision we have made.

I am now thinking about Chinese immersion for the summer.

Just wanted to share our experience--
Lexie
Old 05-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Total Points: 68,722.55
Donate
Lexie - old thread, I know.

Where/how did you find the French school? I don't know if there would be anything like that near us.....

QUOTE: "Just like a woman who gives birth forgets the pain due to the overwhelming joy when she holds the baby, an adoptive mom also experiences that same joy when she holds her child for the first time." - Kat-L, forum member

Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Total Points: 259.46
Donate
We live in Quebec and sent our daughter to French school. She is in the third grade now and - what's really funny - thinks that her native language is French. "You can not speak my language" - she told me recently, when I tried to speak French