Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Total Points: 11,046.05
Donate
Homeschooling and Foster/Adopt

Hello. We are considering adopting an older child (age 5-12.) We have contacted a few agencies regarding the process but still have many questions before we can begin the process.

We have four biological children at home that we homeschool. I have received conflicting information about homeschooling a child that we plan to adopt. One caseworker said that we would not be able to homeschool a child placed in our home because they are technically a foster child for six months until the adoption is final. Another caseworker said that we could homeschool--we would just have to get approval from the judge.

Has anyone homeschooled a foster child that they planned to adopt? Thank you for any help that you can provide.
Adoption Information
Mike & Lisa (IL)
are hoping to adopt
Mike & Lisa hoping to adopt A Service of Adoption Profiles
Adoption Confererence
Click here to visit Adoptive Parents Committee
Adoptive Parents Committee 33rd Annual Adoption Conference: Sunday, Nov. 24, 2013 St. Francis College, Brooklyn, NY 75 Workshops/50 Exhibitors/Bookstore Register Online or call (212)304-8497
Adoptive Parents Committee
(212) 304-8479  

Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 AM
Total Points: 58,027.73
Donate
I was a homeschooler until this last week. My older girls decided to try out charter school. so off they went. In AZ i have been told there is no way, no how they will allow homeschooling for a foster child.

I have a friend in TN that is homeschooling her foster child wtih the k12 program. Since it is public school, with a teacher, it might be an option, if you really want to keep them at home. I think it will be case by case, based off of the CW for the childthat needs to sign off on it.
Good luck!
7-23-11 finished PSMAPP and medication classes
10-26-11 LICENSED!

Current Placements
2 boys ages 4 and 5
[color="RoyalBlue"]
Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Total Points: 21,231.55
Donate
We do not home school but I have heard through my training classes and a few CWs that they do allow home schooling on a case by case basis. We are in Illinois. Good luck on your journey.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Total Points: 274,940.87
Donate
Homeschooling of foster kids is very rare but possible if the circumstances warrant it. I would guess that generally, you're going to have to send foster kids to school. Once you adopt, you can do as you please.

We will be pulling one of ours out of school the second the adoption is finalized. Due to various circumstances, it may take us a couple years to get them all home.

Big Sister (22) , Big Brother (19)
Tumbler (8) , Eeyore (7), and T-lo (6)

Current Foster Kiddos: Squishy (3mo boy) - Goal TPR and Adoption

Sweet Little Monkey (3) - We will always love you and miss you.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Total Points: 6,346.69
Donate
Homeschooling is only allowed rarely in our area, in situations where it is deemed best for the child. Certainly for MOST foster children, if reunification is even a possibility, it is best that they are in school. Once they are home with bios, educators keep an eye on things, and it makes no sense to pull them in and out. As an ex-homeschooler myself, I know that it would be much easier to catch the kids up at home -- we do a fair amount of after-schooling with placements instead. Once an adoption is final -- that's another story :-).
2011 - 2012 3 (RU)
2011 3 (kin then RU)
2011 4, 12, 14 (RU)
2009 - 2010 3, 4 (RU)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Total Points: 53,534.83
Donate
I wanted to homeschool my youngest adopted child. I didn't ask if I could prior to TPR. When the next school year rolled around, we had a visit from our adoption worker and GAL during which I brought up the subject. They said it sounded reasonable to them, and they approved it.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Total Points: 27,142.39
Donate
I asked this question when I was starting out because I thought I might be placed with a school age child. I was told that prior to TPR, it would be very unlikely that I would be allowed to homeschool because most bio-parents still have educational rights up until the time that TPR is granted and both the bio-parents and the judge would have to agree. Even if the bio-parents agreed, I was told that most judges would not since adoption-by-me is not definite at this point.

After TPR, I was told that I could homeschool if the judge agrees and that most judges would agree since, at this point, adoption by me would be an almost-definite. This is especially true once the intent-to-adopt was signed, which in my county usually happens once the appeals period is over 60 days after TPR.

05/04/09 - Attended fost/adopt orientation
06/30/09 - 08/25/09 - Attended fost/adopt classes
12/04/09 - Officially licensed (finally!!)

BABY A
12/22/09 - Baby A is born!
12/23/09 - Meet Baby A in hospital - Fall INSTANTLY in love!
12/24/09 - Baby A comes home!
01/21/10 - Judges orders no reunification services for birthparents, sets TPR hearing for March 25, 2010
03/25/10 - TPR granted!
05/24/10 - Appeals period ended with NO appeals!
07/06/10 - Finalized!

BABY M
9/22/10 - Meet Baby M (6 months old)
9/25/10 - Baby M comes home!
12/10/10 - TPR granted!
12/28/10 - Appeal filed
3/2/11 - Appeals court refuses to hear appeal
4/27/11 - Finalized!

Last edited by Longing2bMom : 01-16-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Total Points: 11,046.05
Donate
Thank you for the replies.

Thank you to all who shared their experiences with me. I am very grateful for your time.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Total Points: 17,186.13
Donate
Illinois doesn't allow homeschooling for the foster parent requirements. My partner and I don't agree with homeschooling though anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myra22
Hello. We are considering adopting an older child (age 5-12.) We have contacted a few agencies regarding the process but still have many questions before we can begin the process.

We have four biological children at home that we homeschool. I have received conflicting information about homeschooling a child that we plan to adopt. One caseworker said that we would not be able to homeschool a child placed in our home because they are technically a foster child for six months until the adoption is final. Another caseworker said that we could homeschool--we would just have to get approval from the judge.

Has anyone homeschooled a foster child that they planned to adopt? Thank you for any help that you can provide.

Foster Journey: Beginning to get information, hoping to start fostering in August 2014

Check out our Foster Journey Blog: http://journals.adoption.com/?do=showjournal&j=1256
Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Total Points: 17,186.13
Donate
Wow that is funny - Children's Home & Aid told me Illinois does not allow homeschooling, for foster/to/adopting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forevernmyheart
We do not home school but I have heard through my training classes and a few CWs that they do allow home schooling on a case by case basis. We are in Illinois. Good luck on your journey.

Foster Journey: Beginning to get information, hoping to start fostering in August 2014

Check out our Foster Journey Blog: http://journals.adoption.com/?do=showjournal&j=1256