Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I want a full house!
Total Points: 220,079.96
Donate
Monthly Foster Care Stipend

Why does every agency pay a different amount for foster care? I didn't really realize this until I thought about switching agencies and I started receiving information from other agencies in the mail. I just thought they all paid about the same at least within the state. Not that it matters to me about the money, I just thought this odd.

November 2009: Foster License
March 2010: Adoptive Homestudy Completed
~A few placements but no forever kiddos yet~
April 2011: Placed with 3 siblings, 6 5 4 (Goal: RU)
October 2012: 3 kids' goal change (SPLC) & trying to get a 4th
Adoption Information
Tyler & Alisha (AZ)
are hoping to adopt
Tyler & Alisha hoping to adopt A Service of Adoption Profiles
Become an adoption forums premium member to enjoy these Membership Benefits:
  • Remove Advertising
  • Unlimited Arcade
  • Unlimited Attachments
  • Increased PM Storage
  • Calendar Posting
  • Larger Avatars
  • Personal Page
  • Just $19.95 / yr!
Looking to Adopt?
Washington
Click here to visit WACAP
Since 1976, WACAP has placed over 10,000 children into loving adoptive homes and provided humanitarian aid to more than 200,000 children worldwide.
WACAP
(800) 732-1887   Fax (206) 575-4148

Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Community Moderator
Total Points: 206,903.37
Donate
In Texas the state pays the agency a rate for each child. The agency then pays the foster parents and they don't have to give you all the $$. An agency needs $$ to cover it's own expenses, like employees, Case workers. social workers, secretaries, etc. They can determine what they pay based on a scale provided by the state. They can not pay below a certain amount.
Little Lucy 7 (really a 17 yr old trapped in a 7 yr old body!)

Dr. Phil 18 yr old (returned Forever our Joy)

I love my teens!!

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ-Mohandas Gandhi

Community Forums Moderator
Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Total Points: 16,811,413,621,002.81
Donate
Yep, my area works the same as Caddo's. The state sets a minimum amount and agencies MUST pay at least that amount. But if the agency chooses not to use the rest of the money the state gives them - on things like staff, rent, paper and ink, etc - then they can add to the amount that the foster parents receive.

Therefore you'll notice big differences in other things, too - like the amount they charge for applying to them or for the mandatory classes, whether they give CPR/First Aid classes for free or make you get them elsewhere, whether they pay for someone to man an emergency telephone line all night or not, whether they have get-togethers for families, etc.

Definately shop around, and I hope you quickly find the agency that will work best for you!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 PM
I want a full house!
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeS
Therefore you'll notice big differences in other things, too - like the amount they charge for applying to them or for the mandatory classes, whether they give CPR/First Aid classes for free or make you get them elsewhere, whether they pay for someone to man an emergency telephone line all night or not, whether they have get-togethers for families, etc.

Definately shop around, and I hope you quickly find the agency that will work best for you!

Very interesting. I am doing my shopping now I should have done it before. I just ended up going to the agency recommended to me by a relative. They picked it based on a few things but one was the high stipend (or what I think is high). The agency is awesome in a lot of ways (training, communication, friendliness, after hours help, etc). My only problem so far is that most of the referrals are all out of my traveling area or teenagers (which I don't want based on my age). The agency I think I will switch to has an informational meeting tomorrow. I am going to go check it out. I already know the stipend is $10 a day less than the agency I am currently with but that is not a problem. The benefit if I switch is that the new agency works with more C&Y offices closer to me than the first agency. The idea is that I will have a placement quicker and be used more in the future as well. I want to be a foster parent for years to come and I hope to help many kids. I think I will have that chance if I switch. I should know for sure tomorrow. I plan to ask questions about their trainings, after hours help, etc. Hopefully they have good answers!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I want a full house!
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddoRose
In Texas the state pays the agency a rate for each child. The agency then pays the foster parents and they don't have to give you all the $$. An agency needs $$ to cover it's own expenses, like employees, Case workers. social workers, secretaries, etc. They can determine what they pay based on a scale provided by the state. They can not pay below a certain amount.

that makes sense I guess. around here, I am pretty sure the county office pays the least in this area. I wonder if that is common?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Total Points: 7,419.10
Donate
Hi Pez, I keep coming across your posts and relating to them very well... We must be at that same point in our journey... Which sounds like we have a similar long-term goal as well...

Around here, our private agency says that they pay a bit more than the local DCS, but DCS gives clothing allotments when the kids arrive, but the private agency does not...

So, I've kind of dismissed it all as coming out the same in the long run...
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I want a full house!
Donate
glad to have another friend on this journey. it is tough so far but hearing others stories make it seem worth it in the end. we will get there too I guess, just hopefully sooner rather than later! where in TN are you? I live in Knoxville for a few months but could have easily stayed forever. Family is all in PA though so I didn't.