adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 09-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Total Points: 2,962.23
Donate
Question on home inspections in Ohio

Hello,

I'm just wondering (and my google is failing me) if someone could give or link me to some kind of checklist to show what we may need to get done to pass a home inspection. My husband and I are 'renting' our home from my parents. They bought the house a year ago, it was bank owned and we are in the process of fixing it up. It isn't unsafe by any means, but i'm sure there are things that need to be worked on for us to pass. It's a two story home, if that makes a difference. We are beginning our classes on October 1st, so we'd like to be prepared to fix up what we needs to be done so we don't slow down the whole process.
Adoption Information
Jenny & Steven (WI)
are hoping to adopt
Jenny & Steven hoping to adopt A Service of Adoption Profiles
Looking to Adopt?
New Jersey
Click here to visit Douglas M. Pine, LLC
Douglas Pine represents adoptive families in every county throughout New Jersey. Mr Pine earned his reputation by providing personal attention to every adoption.
Douglas M. Pine, LLC
(973) 748-8887   Fax (973) 748-3999

Old 09-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Foster/Adoptive Dad
Total Points: 48,102.79
Donate
Afraid I don't have a list but we are currently on a temp license and finishing our permanent license next week (they will say it will take up to 6 mo after your class... we had 1 day )

The case worker will go through your house and tell you what you need to do, but here are some of the considerations we had to take into account, of course we are fostering younger kids so this could be different for you:

1: stairs have a gate.
2: fireplace has a fence, gate, or some means of protection
3: outlets without plugs have those little plastic dealies
4: you have an Carbon Monoxide detector if you use gas anywhere in your house.
5: Smoke detector in every bedroom, and at least one per floor (we have one in every room cause they are cheap)
6: 1 fire extinguisher in the house.
7: you sleep within hearing distance of the child or have a monitor
8: there needs to be 2 exits to the room (door and window usually)
9: The window needs to big enough for an adult to fit through (basement windows sometime need to be cut bigger)
10: guns are all locked up
11: amunition is locked in a different location than the guns

I think every state is a bit different but those are some of the keys. Again I wouldn't panic, our case worker told us she will list what we needed to do and then come back to review it when we get the chance to finish up (of course ending up with a placement 6 mo before we figured kinda put the rush on it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by psarahm
Hello,

I'm just wondering (and my google is failing me) if someone could give or link me to some kind of checklist to show what we may need to get done to pass a home inspection. My husband and I are 'renting' our home from my parents. They bought the house a year ago, it was bank owned and we are in the process of fixing it up. It isn't unsafe by any means, but i'm sure there are things that need to be worked on for us to pass. It's a two story home, if that makes a difference. We are beginning our classes on October 1st, so we'd like to be prepared to fix up what we needs to be done so we don't slow down the whole process.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Total Points: 27,187.04
Donate
Me Too!!

How exciting! I'm also in Ohio and will be starting classes tomorrow
I am the same way, I know I may be jumping the gun, but I want to try and take care of all the little things that I can now.
The list arbuckle had was good! Im also going to work on getting my CPR/First Aid completed as well.

Good luck, its great to hear of someone at the same point in the process!
Old 09-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Total Points: 27,187.04
Donate
Checklist

Hey, I just found this safety checklist for Ohio!!

http://www.odjfs.state.oh.us/forms/file.asp?id=54175
Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 AM
Premium Member
Total Points: 475,812.73
Donate
I am also in Ohio, and just got licensed this past Tuesday with a private agency. Another biggie is cleaners are put up on a high shelf and medications should be locked away. I got myself a tool box for like 10 bucks. Really easy! I would love to hear more from you guys since we are in the same state!

Current Placements:
Mighty Mouse:9 mo old , medically fragile placed 3/14 at just a few days after turning 3 months old.