JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 12-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Total Points: 2,307.00
Donate
My quick thoughts on more middle names for boys than girls- it may sound practical assuming your daughter(s) gets married-- but what if she doesn't? It doesn't seem "fair" that the boys get another middle name just cuz they are boys!
Adoption Community Information
Adam & Victoria (KS)
are hoping to adopt
Adam & Victoria hoping to adopt A Service of Adoption Profiles
Domestic Adoption?
Virginia
Click here to visit Adoption Home Study Provider
If you live in the U.S. and are going to adopt, you will need an adoption home study. Click here to find a home study provider in your area. Get Started Today!
Adoption Home Study Provider

Old 01-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Total Points: 32,056.67
Donate
Brandy - my BIL is Guatemalan so he has 4 names - first, middle, mother's maiden name, father's surname - that's the tradition there...my sis was all ready to go along with that tradition and he said absolutely no way - it is way too much of a pain filling out forms etc. and he is absolutely against it.

so take that for what it's worth...If you feel strongly one way or the other than that's what you do (and forms be darned!)
Old 01-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Total Points: 474.00
Donate
Our daughter has 2 middle names. Her birthmom had named her so we kept that as her middle name. It is good to know more and more people are doing the 2 middle name. I was a bit worried about it at first.... that she would have problems filling out forms and stuff, but it really has not been a problem.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Internationally Minded
Total Points: 9,740.13
Donate
I thought I'd pop this up to the top again.

I've always liked the idea of two middle names for my kids. Partly because I love my names (first and middle) and love names in general, I suppose. I've always considered that if you raise a child to understand how special and wonderful their names are, problems with their names aren't going to be a big deal.

Now that I'm possitive I want to adopt internationally, I feel even more strongly about it. I want to have at least one cultural middle name, (one of the names they were given overseas). Because I expect I may have biological children as well, I intend to give two middle names to all my children adopted or not, they're all going to be my kids and I want them all to have the same number of names. Childrend automatically notice that sort of thing. My parents never intended to give my sister and I middle names begining with the same letter but it happened and we thought it was majorly cool as young children. I hope my kids think the same thing about having two middle names.

Anyone else interested in discussing two middle names and their issues and importantance to a childs identity?
TCK"s or Third Culture Kids are difined as "[A] person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents' culture. The third culture kid builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture are assimilated into the third culture kid's life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of the same background."

How being a TCK relates to my desire to adopt some day: I grew up an international child, and while the walls between country and race mean less to me than most, I grew up with an understanding of the influence of clashing cultures that is hard to explain to someone who exists in solely one culture. God has given me the gift of experiences to fuel my desire for international adoption and to understand an internationally adopted child's world.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Proud Mommy of Three
Total Points: 79,515.54
Donate
Ok, I know this is an old thread. But I'll throw in my post anyway! I have two middle names. I've always thought that was really neat and special. I rarely use my second middle name as an adult. And I've never had any issues with simply not including my second middle name on legal forms (like taxes etc). But I still really like my name. It gives me options. I insisted on giving each of our kiddos two middle names for that reason. I consider the second middle name sort of an honorary thing. My daughter's second middle name is the name originally given to her by her birthmother. It's very strange and we felt this is a way she can keep that connection while not having to "explain" her name for the rest of her life.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:29 AM
Total Points: 9,553.58
Donate
While not adoption related, I thought multiple middle names was very common in certain parts of the US. I've met several people from the south who have 2 and even 3 middle names.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Total Points: 18,421.09
Donate
My son has 2 middle names and my two daughters have 3 middle names. We kept their Korean name as a part of their full name.

Jen
10/22/04 I-600 Completed
11/1/04 Received I-171 & I-171H
4/14/05 Ryan's Arrival at JFK airport
12/15/05 Ryan's finalization

10/14/05 Agency Called-Ryan has a sister
10/26/05 Updated HS
11/21/05 I-600 Completed
11/30/05 Received I-171 & I-171H
3/30/06 Katie's Arrival at LaGuardia
12/12/06 Katie's finalization
6/29/07 Agency called-Ryan & Katie have a sister
7/17/07 Received her referral & accepted next day
7/23/07 Updated HS
9/7/07 I-600 Completed
11/20/07 Bella's Arrival at airport
Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Total Points: 245,523.86
Donate
I hope I can still get some feedback here, even though this is an old thread.

Our niece has two middle names, and all four of her initial spell a name my SIL had liked in addition to the first name she went with. Each of her middle names honors one of her uncles - my SIL's two brothers.

My Dh and I have both hyphenated our last names (so don't assume that only girls will do it but boys will stick with what they've got!), so we each have a total of four names. We intend for our children to have both of our last names (and they can choose to drop one or both upon marriage or whenever). However, we are adopting, and we wanted to also maintain some link to the child's bio family.

Would it be too much to have two middle names AND two last names, considering folks don't usually go by their entire full legal name anyway? Can we just say that our last names are ONE really long last name bc it's hyphenated? lol Would that make any difference? (probably not)

I'd like to keep Lil Guy's current first and middle names as his two middle names, and give him a new first name of our choosing.
.....fall throughs w/ 4 bmoms May 2008 - March 2010
~~ Foster Care
.....Baby VV 9/28/09 - 7/28/10 RU w/ mom 9/3/10
.....inquired on many waiting kids in US foster care to no avail Summer 2009 - Fall 2010
~~ International adoption
.....attempted, withdrawn November 2010 - December 2011
~~ Open Embryo Adoption
.....attempted Nov 2011 & April 2012, no take-home baby

Thanks to anonymous embryo donation, we are finally a family of three!
11/25/13

My blog:
http://holinessnotperfection.blogspot.com/

Old 11-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Total Points: 230,184,933.08
Donate
Our son's birth name was John and I wanted to name him after my dad who is John David.

I didn't think that my husband would go for it, so I approached him with the idea to name him after both grandfathers. After 16 years, I thought I knew my husband well enough and I was certain that he would reject my first idea and counter offer to just John David, which was what I really wanted anyway.

Well, things didn't go as planned. As soon as I suggested John David Olindo DiSaia, my husband immediately went for it.

I never told my husband of my original plan and I have come to adore the name. It is a big name for a little boy, but he says the whole thing very proudly. I think it is great to be able to tell him that we kept his birth name and named him after both of his grandfather's.

If we adopt again, I would definitely use two middle names for boys or girls.

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Total Points: 119,611.09
Donate
My akids have first, middle, middle, and last. We kept their birth names, and added one of our choice. B/c they were older, we wanted to keep that part of them, as well as givet hem a part of us and our family. With two, we added/changed their first name. With one, we added the new name as her middle name, and made her old middle name her first name. They loved that they got to pick out new names. We had planned on calling them by their old names, because thats who everyone knew them by, but they really wanted to change, so we did. It's been 5 months, but we are starting to get used to the change. People outside our immediate family forget a lot, but thats to be expected. Their bio mom is furious about it, and has no problem voicing it to us.

When I write stuff out, sometimes I use both middle names, it depends on what it is. Sometimes I'll write the first name out, and add the initial for the 2nd name.

Our life http://la-mama-loca.blogspot.com

Trying to Raise Bilingual kids http://talkconmigo.blogspot.com
Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Total Points: 7,238.87
Donate
I always thought it was weird when I was a kid because my 3 older brothers had 2 middle names and I only had ONE! ******, I wanted another one, too!

All of our boys have 2 middle names. My oldest (not dh's) had a super long name, but I had intended on adoption for him, so thought well, he'll only have that name for a few weeks, right?? Didn't happen that way so with his lisp, he was Brandon Chrith-o-ther (Christopher) Michael.

Family tradition on dh's side is that the oldest have either the mother/father's first name as their middle name, but Evan Adam just sounded weird, so we added my dad's first name to make it flow better. Youngest had dh's brother and my dad's middle name for his middle names. And then our middle son decided that he wanted to change his whole name when he was adopted, so we moved his first name to the middle, added a family name (MIL's father) and he chose his new first name --- after we vetoed Spiderman and Spongebob. ** He didn't want to keep his birth name in there at all, but I pushed it, thinking of the eventuality of him deciding we suck, so this way he won't have to have a legal name change should he ever want to use his birth name again, lost of people go by their middle names. (Long story there, and it's very likely that he will).

SO, we have

Brandon Christopher Michael
Evan Adam Royce
Mitchell Adrien James
Nathaniel Andrew John

Last edited by evansmum : 11-24-2009 at 08:38 PM.