JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums. Register
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories
User Name
Password

Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Total Points: 2,103.97
Donate
moving to Arizona

Hi, I am planning a move from California to somewhere in Maricopa county can anyone help me with cities to stay away from, and areas that are good to raise a family. thank you
Looking to Adopt?
Washington
Click here to visit WACAP
Since 1976, WACAP has placed over 10,000 children into loving adoptive homes and provided humanitarian aid to more than 200,000 children worldwide.
WACAP
(800) 732-1887   Fax (206) 575-4148

Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Total Points: 20,288.70
Donate
Advice - if you haven't already moved!

It really depends on what you want, where you're working (if you're working) and what you can afford. We live on the west side of the valley, which is booming -- which can be a major pain, because there's always construction going on somewhere, but it's also reassuring that we're in a healthy, growing area.

One thing that I think is pretty rampant throughout the entire valley is high amounts of foreclosures, which is making pretty much every area accessible to most budgets and giving a lot of diversity. My best advice? Sit down, decide what exactly you want, what you can compromise with, and what doesn't matter - then go from there.

If you've already moved - I hope you're enjoying it! At least it's getting cooler now.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Be the change...
Total Points: 30,173.64
Donate
Stay far, far away from Maryvale area. You are also taking a chance with south Phoenix, even the new developments. Of course every area has its good and bad but overall if you stay on the East side and suburbs (Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale) and East Phoenix you will be better off. Personally I have always said I would never live on the West side but there are plenty of people who do and love it. Just my opinion
#14 little Miss I am so bored (14) week respite placement.
#13 Fire Dragon (8) She is BACK. RU'd with Mom back in care 8 weeks later. Now placed with another family as pre-adoptive.

#12 Starbuck girl (15)-one day emergency placement
#11 Super Boy, now my son adopted 5/10/13
#10 Teen Angel--placed in detention after violating probation until 18. Returned for two months before turning 18 and is now on her own. Bio mom of Super Boy.
#9 Cinderella (18) Flew the coop June 25 after turning 18.
#8 Teen Mom's son (now 1 and with Mom )
#7 Teen Mom 17 (now 18 and on her own, doing well)
#6 Chola- 17, after 3 mos. sent to behavioral placement
#5 Heartbreaker- left when she turned 18
#2,3,4 Christmas Kids 11, 8 and 6 RU'd with Mom
#1 B-day Twin, 12--sent to behavioral placement
Old 12-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Total Points: 6,512.32
Donate
Your commute to work can make or break your quality of life. I would consider the logistics of your drive into where you decide to move. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Total Points: 20,245.47
Donate
I know this post is a little older now, but I'll chime in! : )

Stay away from Avondale on the West side. However, we lived on the West side in Goodyear across from the new Cleveland Indians ballpark and it was just "okay." We moved to Litchfield Park and LOVED it! It's older and the houses/condos are all 70s-80s style, but it's quiet, clean, and there's a man-made lake and resort there. I worked in South Phoenix down on 24th & Baseline--avoid at all costs!

We got married last year in Gilbert and it's such a cute town. If we weren't in love with Litchfield Park, we'd probably have rented or bought a house there. The Surprise area's nice too, but kind of far from everything and still developing. My DH's military so we got sent all over the place and now we're in Tucson. We'd go back to Litchfield Park or live in Gilbert, Mesa, or Scottsdale (though Scottsdale will cost an arm & a leg) if we could.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Total Points: 20,288.70
Donate
I guess it depends on what you're looking for... I loved Avondale and thought Surprise was AWFUL because of all the traffic on Bell Rd (although other than that, I loved the town).

Mom to:
Diva (5) and He-man (4)
Came home 2/12, adopted 12/12

Current:
Wellie (11 mos) - placed 5/17/13

http://bibliophile-mama.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Total Points: 20,245.47
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookishmom
I guess it depends on what you're looking for... I loved Avondale and thought Surprise was AWFUL because of all the traffic on Bell Rd (although other than that, I loved the town).

Lol, I meant Avondale south of the I10--old Avondale around Western Ave. And I agree traffic up on Bell Rd.'s kind of ridiculous. For some reason, when I think Surprise, I think north of Luke AFB where those fields are...if that makes sense? haha