Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Total Points: 393.96
Donate
Oh there was one other thing that we included in our additional documents that we sent to them and as far as I've seen I haven't seen it made mention on here. The IRS asked us to send our adopted kids school attendance records. The records that the school printed off for me stated the age and grade of each child, had a school picture, and a big stamp across with the school address. This proves that the kids live with us and states the dates they were enrolled in our local school.
Adoption Information
Matthew & Janae (AK)
are hoping to adopt
Matthew & Janae hoping to adopt A Service of Adoption Profiles
Hoping to Adopt?
New Jersey
Click here to visit Adoptions From The Heart
Building beautiful families through adoption since 1985. A leader in open adoption, AFTH provides services to pregnant women wishing to create an adoption plan and adoptive families seeking to create a family.
Adoptions From The Heart
(800) 355-5500   Fax (610) 642-7938

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Total Points: 2,780.61
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy112010
Good morning..Well I just got off the telephone with the IRS in Andover,MA.
For a change I got a really nice lady and asked her if she would kindly check the status of my return. Unfortunately it wasn't good news. She told me that I had not been assigned to an examiner and that they still are working on Janurary. Since my requested documents weren't received until March 22,2011 that means that we are looking at another 60-90 days more or less. I talked to my Congressmen's office yesterday and they told me that it wasn't right and they needed to release these refunds so I am sending them all my paper work and timeline. I don't know if it will help but at this point I will give it a try. Thank you all for your updates and information. I don't feel like I am alone in this ship.
So funny they told you that! I just talked to a lady yesterday at the Andover office and she told me that the department that has my paperwork is ahead of the game. She said 3-4 wks. Starting to wonder if they are just telling me what I want to hear? LOL What fun this is NOT!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Total Points: 751.77
Donate
Thank you for your correspondence!

Date of Letter: April, 18, 2011

Dear Grow_n_Family,

Thank you for your correspondence, which was received on 04/07/2011. We will review your response and you should receive a reply from us with in the next 30 days. If we are unable to complete our review of the information you sent us within that time, we will contact you again providing a date when to expect our response.

You do not need to respond to this letter; however, if you have questions or need additional information, please call the telephone number shown above.

If someone is handling this matter for you, please let them know we have received their response. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
Operations Manager, Examination
Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Donate
Tax Advocate Letter

Dated April 20, 2011

Tax Form: 1040
Tax Period Ending: 2010
Case Number: xxxxxxx
Tax Payer Identification Number: xxx-xx-xxxx

Dear Grow_n_Family,

This is in response to your inquiry dated April 18,2011 received in our office on April 18,2011. I understand you're concerned about your refund for tax year 2010 and the audit being done by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Examination Department for the adoption tax credit.

I've tried contacting you at the telephone you have provided, but was unable to reach you (No one has called me) I cannot resolve the problem without additional information. The IRS Examination Department sent you a letter dated April 1st, 2011 requesting specific documents for your claim of the adoption tax credit. Please send the information that was requested in the letter and any additional notices you have by May 5th, 2011. I've enclosed a self-addressed envelope for your convenience, or you can fax this information to me at XXX XXX-XXXX.

I'll notify you by May XX, 2011 with an update on your inquiry. In the meantime, I would like to stay in touch with you while I work to resolve your inquiry. Please advice me of any change in your address or telephone number. Also, let me know if another IRS office within IRS contacts you concerning this matter.

Based on the length of time it normally takes to resolve this type of issue, I expect to have this matter resolved by June 15th, 2011. If you have any questions, you can reach me at the telephone numbers and during in the hours of operation listed below (I tried that, this Tax Payers Advocate is on Vacation Since the date of this letter.) If you prefer, you can write to me at the address or faxes below. Please provide a telephone number where you can be reached and the best time to call you.

I sincerely apologize for the audit being done by the Examinations Department and the hardship you are currently experiencing.

Sincerely,
Case Advocate
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Total Points: 555.01
Donate
Mommy to an awesome little boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflybix
So funny they told you that! I just talked to a lady yesterday at the Andover office and she told me that the department that has my paperwork is ahead of the game. She said 3-4 wks. Starting to wonder if they are just telling me what I want to hear? LOL What fun this is NOT!!!!!!!!!
I know what you mean. If I were to call back again in the next few days I would get yet a different answer. I tried to get a Tax Advocate but I guess my situation wasn't just cause for them to help me. We are relocating to another state because of my husbands job. He has already been there awhile. We were waiting for our refund so our son and I can join him. We are thankful for him to just have a job so when we do receive the money we will be grateful and excited to be able to be together. I just have to look forward to better days and getting settled but its hard when every day is another maddening day dealing with the IRS and their constant delays.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Total Points: 46,919.96
Donate
Can you tell me if you got the notices of 07-09 being accepted at the same time you got notice that 2010 was being reviewed? How did it work? I'm in a similar boat... I just received letters yesterday saying that my amended 08 and 09 was accepted, closed, etc. Nothing about 2010 So I am waiting for the review letter and praying that I won't get it at the same time. I adopted my two through foster care, special needs, etc., have claimed them on my taxes for the 3 years before we finalized... jeez! So why the heck would they need to review, right?? Its not as if I amended three years, went back and added a couple of random kids!

The good (?) news is that it only took them 7 weeks toprocess the amendments, I'm not really expecting (hoping, praying for) my $$ til July since I had to amend and turned in 08 and 09 to my local tax office on March 1st and 2010 on March 3rd. I was calculating the normal "12-16 weeks" processing of amendments and delays/reviews, etc... *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by with7kids
Mine was accepted for 2007, 2008, 2009 amendments. 2010 was sent to Andover for review Why would they look at those 3 years and accept and then send the 2010 tax on...without papers I am sure, to be reviewed!!! Ummm...just what did they do to accept my other 3 years that they couldn't do the 2010 as well
Adopted son "E" (1/96) & his sister:
Adopted daughter "S" (9/01)
Sibs were placed: 12/05
TPR: 6/07
Finalized: 9/8/08

Starting active pursuit of adding #4 through fost/adopt or private adoption: 4/08
:

Current Placements:
M 10 y.o. Placed 7/1/11
Plan: ICPC to Dad by...?
M's bio half siblings placed 1/24/12:
S 5/8/07
Harley 6/19/11

Previous Placements:
Sibs L ( ) & A () placed 2/27/09
R/U: 6/27/11

The Samoan Princess (1 y.o.):
Placed 5/29/09
R/U 9/11/09

Foster daughter "O" (2.5 y.o.)
Placed: 3/06/06
R/U: 5/15/08

Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Total Points: 1,541.69
Donate
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttascotchbaby
Can you tell me if you got the notices of 07-09 being accepted at the same time you got notice that 2010 was being reviewed?

No, I didn't. In fact I never received any letters on 2010. That was told to me by the IRS agent yesterday. He is also the one who informed me that 2008 was accepted. The letters I got were for years 2007 and 2009. Never have gotten one for 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttascotchbaby
I adopted my two through foster care, special needs, etc., have claimed them on my taxes for the 3 years before we finalized... jeez! So why the heck would they need to review, right?? Its not as if I amended three years, went back and added a couple of random kids!

I SO AGREE!! I have been claiming these children for the 6th year for one, we used the credit for 2 years with him. Then have claimed the other 3 for 4 years! Good night, you would think they would just LOOK at the previous returns. How hard could that be?
5 through my heart, which was a much more difficult process!
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Total Points: 507.08
Donate
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreash_utah
If you have finalized, according to the IRS:

Domestic and foreign adoptions that have been finalized. For domestic adoptions finalized in 2010 or before, and foreign adoptions finalized in 2010, check the box in column (g) and attach one or more of the following documents:

1. For a domestic or foreign adoption finalized in the United States, the adoption order or decree (a copy
showing official seal).

2. For an adoption governed by the Hague Convention
a. The Hague Adoption Certificate (Immigrating Child),
b. The IH-3 visa, or
c. A foreign adoption decree (a copy showing official seal) translated into English.

3. For a foreign adoption from a country that is not party
to the Hague Convention:
a. A foreign adoption decree (a copy showing official seal) translated into English or
b. An IR-2 or IR-3 visa.

The frustrating thing is when these documents were sent, and IRS replies with a letter requiring addition documentation. If they needed additional documentation, they should have asked for it initially.

We have both instances of international adoption from 2009 and 2007 and we send in all of those documents right away in Feb. and got the first letter and 2 days ago we got a letter asking for all the receipts. Well 137 printed and scanned pages I send that off overnight certified today lets see how long it takes not to get our money!! BTW we are in WI and reviewed in the Atlanta Office.
NotHappy

Old 04-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Total Points: 655.69
Donate
Got another letter today. 3rd for us It states we are reviewing your response dated 3/16. You should receive a reply from us by 5/30. Has anyone else gotten this letter? I am hoping this indeed means we have an examiner looking at our return finally!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I CAN make a difference!!
Total Points: 1,935.77
Donate
Thumbs down

GRRRRR! Now I am a little upset. I checked the WMR site today and it tells me that they cannot give me any information on my refund. It tells me to call the IRS number and mention Code 8001. That code on the irs website translates to "Paper return that taxpayer filed more than 6 weeks ago failed authentication. Conduct account analysis". So what does THAT mean??

I called my TA and he said that there has been no change in my status on his system, and that he is still "trying to get 'them' to look at it and release the funds." He seemed a little concerned that I was going to call the irs tax line that was given on the site, because, as he stated, "that would mean that they would tell you to speak to my supervisor and there is no reason it should go that far."

I am really trying to remain patient...but .......

God Bless!

Single Dad to:
N age 15
and
R age 13
(bio brothers)
Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Donate
[QUOTE=Grow_n_Family]Dated April 20, 2011

Tax Form: 1040
Tax Period Ending: 2010
Case Number: xxxxxxx
Tax Payer Identification Number: xxx-xx-xxxx

Dear Grow_n_Family,

This is in response to your inquiry dated April 18,2011 received in our office on April 18,2011. I understand you're concerned about your refund for tax year 2010 and the audit being done by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Examination Department for the adoption tax credit.

I've tried contacting you at the telephone you have provided, but was unable to reach you (No one has called me) I cannot resolve the problem without additional information. The IRS Examination Department sent you a letter dated April 1st, 2011 requesting specific documents for your claim of the adoption tax credit. Please send the information that was requested in the letter and any additional notices you have by May 5th, 2011. I've enclosed a self-addressed envelope for your convenience, or you can fax this information to me at XXX XXX-XXXX.

I'll notify you by May XX, 2011 with an update on your inquiry. In the meantime, I would like to stay in touch with you while I work to resolve your inquiry. Please advice me of any change in your address or telephone number. Also, let me know if another IRS office within IRS contacts you concerning this matter.

Based on the length of time it normally takes to resolve this type of issue, I expect to have this matter resolved by June 15th, 2011. If you have any questions, you can reach me at the telephone numbers and during in the hours of operation listed below (I tried that, this Tax Payers Advocate is on Vacation Since the date of this letter.) If you prefer, you can write to me at the address or faxes below. Please provide a telephone number where you can be reached and the best time to call you.

I sincerely apologize for the audit being done by the Examinations Department and the hardship you are currently experiencing.

Sincerely,
Case Advocate
[/quote]

We faxed all the required documentation. Our Tax advocate called me this afternoon, as she said she would this morning. The went over each item I sent, advised me of the following,"Because your return is assigned to an examiner, this will not take long." Please give me a few days to get an anwswer from the examiner." Our efforts of contacting the advocate and our Congressman's office appears to be paying off. Thank you Mom Times 16, you were right!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Total Points: 345.66
Donate
oops first time poster

Hello 9 special needs adoptions in Indiana.. Filed in February just posted today on WMR, credit $$$$$ (we thought this could be progress) called and found out it really adds up to nothing!! Did find out we are in Memphis and they sent a letter yesterday stating they need information we sent in February!!! So if your wondering what credit $$$$$ on WMR adds up to= you still are not going to recieve your ATC

1 Great husband
4 Birth children
9 Adoptions
1 Foster son
1 Farm and a Great God= Happy Family
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Total Points: 11,295.29
Donate
Talked to someone today in the tax examiners unit (at least from the number I called on the letter from the Memphis unit). He said they received our paperwork on Monday and we were assigned an examiner. It was possible that it could be looked at within the next week but he was supposed to say 30-45 days before we would hear anything.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Total Points: 328.43
Donate
Assigned an Examiner

I called the examination department today and found out that they finally received our documents on 4/11. (I sent them in three times between 3/17 and 4/11 by mail and fax.) Our return has been assigned an examiner in the Memphis office. The IRS employee told me to call back on Monday to see if there were any updates. He also told me to make sure to answer my phone if a "restricted" call came in. He said that if the examiner had any questions that they are required to make one phone call before sending out a letter. He said that I should here something within 30 days.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Now with 18
Total Points: 1,318.07
Donate
Heart Yes!

We just recieved our full ATC!!! Used a TA!! can't believe it is over. Four special needs adoptions. Filed 2/14.
2 Foster to adopt (w/special needs)

Only 9 at home (they growup so fast)