adoption.com

adoption.com

JOIN 800,000+ MEMBERS JOINJOIN Cancel

Adoption Forums®

Members List Photos Events Local Adoption Support Search Arcade Reviews Membership Upgrade
Welcome to the Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You may have to register before you can post or search: click here to proceed. To start viewing messages, select a forum below that you would like to view or click View All of Todays Posts.
Forum Categories

Old 10-26-2003, 09:25 PM
monkeypoodle
Total Points: 0
Donate
Birthmother expenses & tax credit

I read the tax credit info on the irs site and the language was pretty vague as to exactly what constitutes adoption expense.

If you live in a state where it is legal to pay for reasonable birthmother expenses, are those expenses able to be considered for the tax credit? I'm in Illinois and we have located a local birthmother who has asked us for what seems like reasonable living expenses during the pregnancy. Does anyone know if that type of thing is covered by the tax credit?

Thanks !

Terry
Old 10-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Total Points: 2,330.77
Donate
Birthmother Medical expense

I was just on the IRS website this morning checking out the same thing. My DD is due in January, and I have been paying **'s medical expenses until her insurance starts picking up some of it.

From the IRS website:
Qualified Adoption Expenses
Qualified adoption expenses are reasonable and necessary expenses directly related to, and for the principal purpose of, the legal adoption of an eligible child.

Qualified adoption expenses include:

Adoption fees.
Attorney fees.
Court costs.
Travel expenses (including meals and lodging) while away from home.

I would check into paying birthmother expenses through the attorney or agency rather than directly to the **, as this might make them more "official." All this is very confusing, and you might want to contact your agency - they should have more information.